Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox 360 Thread - part 6

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the controls were kinda shoddy tbh. reminded me a lot of 99 nights, but didn't seem as good.
Old 07-30-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
the controls were kinda shoddy tbh. reminded me a lot of 99 nights, but didn't seem as good.

Yeah keeping the Gundam facing the enemy was a pain but I'm hoping they'll fix that.
Old 07-30-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I'm sure I'm in the minority but that Dynasty Warriors: Gundam demo was fun. I love Japanese robots so I may pick up the game.
The demo was played about five times at my place Saturday, twice by one person, who almost went into ecstasy fits when he played it the first time. I'll probably grab it, I love the Dynasty Warriors games but the Chinese generals aspect is kind of boring and the names are hard as hell to keep up with. This rectifies both of my (minute, admittedly) issues.
Old 07-30-07, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Yeah the last time I've played one of these massive battlefield games it was back on PS2. The addition of Gundams is awesome.
Old 07-30-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Eternal Sonata is now my most wanted 360 game.. by a large margin.
I'm with ya Pixy. The action reminds me of Star Ocean, well the 2nd one at least.
Old 07-30-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
I'm with ya Pixy. The action reminds me of Star Ocean, well the 2nd one at least.
I thought the same thing. This is the only game in years that I actually (shudder) pre-ordered at Gamestop to get the free faceplate. I felt so dirty, but the demo drove me to do it!
Old 07-30-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cartman
I thought the same thing. This is the only game in years that I actually (shudder) pre-ordered at Gamestop to get the free faceplate. I felt so dirty, but the demo drove me to do it!
Wait - there's a Demo out? What a bad time to lose my 360
Old 07-30-07, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There was a demo in last month's OXM, and that same demo was on the JPN Marketplace for months before that. I snagged it with my Japanese Silver account the day it came out.
Old 07-30-07, 11:44 AM

wow, you get a faceplate just for pre-ordering?

probably only when you actually pick up the game :/
Old 07-30-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, you need a Japanese silver account to get it right now. But once you sign back into your own account, the demo in in English. The demos swapped my games for me. I was super excited for Blue Dragon and cautious for Eternal Sonata (based on the fact that it's coming from the makers of Banten Kaitos). Now, I NEED Eternal Sonata in my life and I'm wondering if the slow-pace of Blue Dragon's battles is going to kill my interest in the game once I have it in my hands.
Old 07-30-07, 11:53 AM
Mok

Marathon: Durandal and Spyglass Board Games 8/1

Both Marathon: Durandel (800 points) and Spyglass Board Games (400 points) will hit this Wednesday.

http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2...ard-games.aspx
Old 07-30-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What is Spyglass Board Games? I cannot access that other site right now.
Old 07-30-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Chess, Checkers, Mancala, and Reversi with Xbox Live and camera support.
Old 07-30-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

chess, checkers, reversi and Mancala
Old 07-30-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Yes, anything you've previously purchased on Marketplace (except movie rentals) can be downloaded again and again as long as you are signed into your Live account. However, since all purchases are tied to both your account and the unit you purchased them on, from that point on, you'll have to be logged into Live to play any of your XBLA games. The memory unit is very small. You'd be able to transfer your game saves that way and just re-download everything else. MS is sending out transfer cables to people who purchase an Elite so they can get their information over to the new system. Also I've bought a product called Datel Xport that allows you to back up your HD to your computer, so that would also be a solution that would work.
Yeah, but you have to have the Elite in hand to order the transfer cable, which doesn't fit with what I want to do - I want to buy the Elite, transfer my stuff, and then either sell the old system right away, or trade it into Gamestop (depending on the trade-in value) for some games.

Where can I get this Datel Xport, and for how much? That sounds interesting.

Also, how much do the memory units run? Wouldn't mind that as an option as well.

I don't mind having to stay logged into Live, since I'm always on it, anyway...but are they planning to fix this issue with an update at any point?

Last edited by argh923; 07-30-07 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-30-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've seen the cable on EBAY for $12-$20...which is a rip off for a FREE cable. Although, cheaper than a memory unit.
Old 07-30-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've seen the cable on EBAY for $12-$20...which is a rip off for a FREE cable. Although, cheaper than a memory unit.
I'd considered eBay, but one that I was bidding on sold for $55. So...yeah. Not paying that much.
Old 07-30-07, 01:47 PM

do you plan on keeping the cable? are you hard-up for cash?

if you answered "no" to both, it really shouldn't matter what the cable goes for. You're basically renting the damn thing, considering you use it once, and its done. At any rate, pay whatever they are going for, use it, then just put it right back on ebay. at the worst, you'd only be out the shipping cost :-D
Old 07-30-07, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 7,041 Likes on 4,773 Posts
Originally Posted by abrg923
Where can I get this Datel Xport, and for how much? That sounds interesting.
I bought mine at Best Buy a few months ago for $17 ($22 - $5 off coupon). I'm not sure if they're still around (it's been taken off the circuit city site), but they should be findable at least on ebay. It sounds like a good solution for you.

And about the XBLA issue : It's not one that will be fixed; it's part of their policy regarding game downloads so that you don't go downloading your games onto all your friends' 360s.
Old 07-30-07, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You could order from Amazon. That way you avoid tax, get free shipping and if you bought it with Halo, they might ship together.
I can't avoid the tax in my state, but it's the "ship together" thing I'm trying to figure out, and to get it from a store that will deliver close to the release date.

When I put it in my cart at Amazon it says it will automatically ship from 2 locations, even if I select "group into as few shipments as possible". I can get next-day delivery for only $20 on the entire order, which is great. If I choose "ship as they are available" the shipping cost goes up, so it's strange that the shipping cost is as if it's a single order but they will ship separately any way.

My concern would be that the 360 ships ahead of Halo 3 which is not what I want, ideally (since it is a gift).

As an alternative plan I could just ship him Halo 3 and get the 360 locally and hand deliver, in which case I would only be concerned about getting Halo 3 close to the release date.

Anyone with preferred stores to get a title close to release?
Old 07-30-07, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just found a data transfer cable on eBay for $17 as a BIN...snatched that up.

And about the XBLA issue : It's not one that will be fixed; it's part of their policy regarding game downloads so that you don't go downloading your games onto all your friends' 360s.
I understand that...but surely they could instate something where, if you get a replacement/upgrade unit, you could call in and have some type of patch sent to you, or something. *shrug* At least something to tie the downloads to your new system.
Old 07-30-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.bizarrecreations.com/foru...802&p=#p255611

You won't see different times of day per city because this involves recreating all the textures again (one for day and one for night). Whilst this wasn't a problem for our dev team, it was a problem fitting all this data onto a single DVD. So we've worked around the problem by providing different lighting models per city. For example, Macau is always in the daytime, but if you play it during a storm everything looks darker and more foreboding. If you play during a blizzard then things are slightly tinged blue and everything seems more frozen. Of course, playing this track in sunshine will make everything appear bright and yellowy.
Old 07-30-07, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by abrg923
I understand that...but surely they could instate something where, if you get a replacement/upgrade unit, you could call in and have some type of patch sent to you, or something. *shrug* At least something to tie the downloads to your new system.
The crappy workaround that they have is to refund you the appropriate number of MS points to a silver account, so that you can repurchase and retie them to the console.

I had to do this when my console overheated and crapped out. I had the product replacement thing at Gamestop, so I just had to fax in my receipt to MS, showing them that I had a new console and they refunded points to my wife's silver account. It actually worked out kind of nice, because there were some games I had that she would never play (Assault Heroes, Geometry Wars), so that was just extra points for us to get something else with.
Old 07-30-07, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts
Is the refund of points thing automatic? How does it work with a Silver vs Gold (ie, if I have a Gold account, and games purchased, then the 360 dies, do I get the points back to rebuy them? Can I then play them without being logged on to live? That's one thing I don't like--between the ultra locked downloads, and the purchaseable additional content for games (that of course cannot be resold), it seems like MS is driving the 360 to do what they (and others) have been trying to get people to accept for PCs for years.
Old 07-30-07, 07:25 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by Shagrath
The crappy workaround that they have is to refund you the appropriate number of MS points to a silver account, so that you can repurchase and retie them to the console.
Did you have to have a list of all your XBLA and downloadable content purchases or do they have that handy?

I'm going to call them and see if they will do this for me. They should do this automatically, since their faulty hardware is the problem.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.