Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Microsoft Surprisingly Admits That ALL Xbox 360s Are Defective

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got my box back on Thursday. Looks like they repaired and sent back my original box, as it has the same SN and has no problems with XBLA games or anything. What a relief!
Old 03-22-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dtcarson
The disk scratching issue is an abomination. I can, well, not understand the RROD, but it's at least a little more explicable, the 360 is basically a computer, and the main harm is annoyance--but we wouldn't put up with a cable box that broke our TV, or a DVD player that scratched disks, or a car that ruined tires.
In a lot of cases it's the investment we already have in the system. I have
upwards of 60 games for it so it's not like I'm just going to pack it up and call
it a day. After my RR issue I have decided to buy for the PS3 whenever
possible in the case of multiplatform releases. Rainbow Vegas 2 was the
exception due to friends from the 1st carrying over to the 2nd not having
a PS3.

Last night while playing RB I started seeing weird stuff happening with the colors of the game, they started getting really faded out and yellowish/greenish, intermittently. I tried the cablebox and I didn't notice anything. It's possible one of my cables somewhere just got loose, and I'll check those today, but is this symptomatic of anything else?
Is the RB Rainbow Vegas 2? If so, while playing splitscreen with my wife last
night I noticed the center would sometimes have a blue and red blob appear
for a split second in the center of my screen (similar to rainbowing, but more
of a centralized blotch).
Old 03-22-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
No, Rock Band. I haven't tried any other games since this happened. I was thinking it might be a video card overheating or something, although why it should start now, I don't know. Nothing has changed; I don't move the console when it's on (I rarely move it at all), it's on its own unenclosed shelf (well, the Wii is vertical next to it) and nothing's on top of it except the Rock Band USB switch.

No, I agree, I don't have 60 games but I've got enough that I still enjoy so I wouldn't want to just 'quit' with the 360. I think MS should be pilloried for creating such a relatively shoddy product, but they should also be praised for such a wide variety of great games and the Live system that makes us take the risk of the hardware dying.
Old 03-24-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, looks like I made it 11 months before my disc drive decided I should join the exclusive fraternity of defective 360 owners.
Old 03-24-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,130 Posts
The 360 at my local Toys r Us RROD'd.
Old 03-24-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Funny! I was at TRU to pick up some Wii games on their buy one get $20 off deal. I noticed their 360 was displaying the RROD. I asked the guy behind the counter about it and he seemed pretty annoyed with it, saying this was the 3rd time they had to deal with it.

I am personally still leaning towards selling my 360 when I get it back. I only have 3 games and an extra controller for it and never really found many games I was willing to spring $60 on. I think, with what will be my 4th 360 in less than a year, the thought of another failure looms to large for me to want to invest anymore time/money.

Such a great concept for a console, such horrible execution.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 03-24-08 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-24-08, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
For anyone interested - not sure if this has already been discussed or not, but that guy that had MS repair erase all those signatures from his xbox got some cool goodies... a Halo collector's kit signed by bungie and then later he got a new Xbox 360 signed by even more people including Bill Gates. Pretty neat end to that story.
Old 03-24-08, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Last night while playing RB I started seeing weird stuff happening with the colors of the game, they started getting really faded out and yellowish/greenish, intermittently. I tried the cablebox and I didn't notice anything. It's possible one of my cables somewhere just got loose, and I'll check those today, but is this symptomatic of anything else?
if i remember correctly, that is what started to happen before my xbox died and i got the RRoD. and guess what... it's happening again! (while playing viva pinata today).

debating whether to actually send it in again or just give up.
Old 03-24-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hm. That's good and bad. Bad in that I don't want it to die at all....good in that it'll be covered. I guess I'll keep turning it on even though I can't play, to get the rings, then get them to send me a new one (I bought it in Aug 07.)
I'm sorry its happening to you again
Old 03-24-08, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Trigger
For anyone interested - not sure if this has already been discussed or not, but that guy that had MS repair erase all those signatures from his xbox got some cool goodies... a Halo collector's kit signed by bungie and then later he got a new Xbox 360 signed by even more people including Bill Gates. Pretty neat end to that story.

That's nice to hear, thanks for posting it.
Old 03-25-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jonw9
My status now says "Device shipped to customer"

Yesterday it was still waiting for arrival.

EDIT: I see it is being returned via UPS, not Fedex (according to the tracking number from the site).

Finally got my 360 back. I missed the delivery last week.

I got MY Xbox back, not a replacement, so that is good.

All in all, not a terrible ordeal. At least I didn't lose any signatures!
Old 03-28-08, 06:22 PM
J_J

Wow, I got my xbox back, exact same one, and it started up ok, for now!

Hope to play Call Of Duty 4 and get through the single player campaign.

They gave me a 1month subscription to xbox live which was nice.

JJ
Old 03-28-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sent my 360 off first thing this morning. Hoping for a quick turn around, but I guess we'll see. Luckily it looks like Smash Bros. was going to take over for awhile anyway, so I shouldn't miss it too much.
Old 03-29-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My off-color thing got worse, now I get no video, just lots of cycling purple dots all over the screen. I've tried in another TV port and on another TV, using the "TV" setting, still the same. I called support and they sent me a new cable pretty quickly, which I just put in, same thing, so it's obviously the unit. I don't have any red rings though (yet).
Old 03-29-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,130 Posts
My off-color thing got worse, now I get no video, just lots of cycling purple dots all over the screen. I've tried in another TV port and on another TV, using the "TV" setting, still the same. I called support and they sent me a new cable pretty quickly, which I just put in, same thing, so it's obviously the unit. I don't have any red rings though (yet).
Yeah my first 360 had "video issues" and it wasn't the cord. I was getting a green tint and weird checkering. Sounds like you're up for a "new" unit.
Old 04-03-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well I got the circle of death last night.

I don't even use this thing every day I play a game every now and then after work - then I don't use it for months.

They are sending me my coffin.

Do you need to sign for the package when it is returned?
Old 04-03-08, 09:53 AM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Yes, they require a signature. I had to have my delivery address changed so they could deliver to where I work so it could be signed for.

Alas, my time with the 360 is over!!! Sold it yesterday,hopefully the new owner won't inherit my bad luck (3 systems with problems, latest one with a build date of 07/2006). I may come back to the fold if they ever do a real internal re-design.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 04-03-08 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-03-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Well I got the circle of death last night.

I don't even use this thing every day I play a game every now and then after work - then I don't use it for months.

They are sending me my coffin.
That's your problem. It was lonely and now it's punishing you!

Seriously though, my experience wasn't that bad. It took just a little over two weeks to get mine back and I got the same box (which meant not having to worry about DRM issues).
Old 04-03-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Shagrath
That's your problem. It was lonely and now it's punishing you!

Seriously though, my experience wasn't that bad. It took just a little over two weeks to get mine back and I got the same box (which meant not having to worry about DRM issues).

well it's going to get a lot of attention at the grave yard.

Good to know that people are getting their boxes back in less than 3 weeks - and they are getting the same one back.
Old 04-04-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got the replacement 360 today and it only took a week, so not too bad, I guess living only a few hours from the repair center help.

It's a different box then the one I sent in, so now I get to start my pointless calling about a DRM transfer ( ), but at least it looks like it's an actual new unit instead of a refurb (manufactured on 2-22-8).
Old 04-04-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by atxbomber
Got the replacement 360 today and it only took a week, so not too bad, I guess living only a few hours from the repair center help.

It's a different box then the one I sent in, so now I get to start my pointless calling about a DRM transfer ( ), but at least it looks like it's an actual new unit instead of a refurb (manufactured on 2-22-8).
I got a refurb back on my last repair, and I didn't have any issue at all with my saved/purchased stuff. I just plunked the old hard drive back in and everything was fine.
Old 04-04-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Nosmo Rex
I got a refurb back on my last repair, and I didn't have any issue at all with my saved/purchased stuff. I just plunked the old hard drive back in and everything was fine.
While you're on Live. If your internet goes down, or Live is down you're pretty much SOL because all your DLC is connected to your old box, which Microsoft has now. I just tested it w/o being connected to Live, and all my XBLA stuff will only let me play trial versions.

Considering the amount of people that no longer have their original box due to hardware failure, you'd think they'd come up with a better system.
Old 04-04-08, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by atxbomber
While you're on Live. If your internet goes down, or Live is down you're pretty much SOL because all your DLC is connected to your old box, which Microsoft has now. I just tested it w/o being connected to Live, and all my XBLA stuff will only let me play trial versions.

Considering the amount of people that no longer have their original box due to hardware failure, you'd think they'd come up with a better system.
Ah - I see what you mean. I guess I've never really been offline while gaming at all.
Old 04-04-08, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sent mine off Wednesday. Still not even halfway there, but that's UPS.

I swear I read somewhere, some gaming blog, that you can download your content on the new console and it's "yours", you don't have to go through the beg/plead/demand thing? I'm sorry I don't have a link, and come to think of it it might have been on the 1st when I read that.
Old 04-04-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sent mine off Wednesday. Still not even halfway there, but that's UPS.

I swear I read somewhere, some gaming blog, that you can download your content on the new console and it's "yours", you don't have to go through the beg/plead/demand thing? I'm sorry I don't have a link, and come to think of it it might have been on the 1st when I read that.

I'm not saying that it hasn't happened that way for some, but from my own
personal experience, over 30 days later after being told it takes "upwards"
of 30 days I'm still in the process of trying to get MS to authorize the
license transfer for my DLC so I can play the full versions without having
to be online (or my wife play them on her silver account at all).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.