Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

psp questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-07, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
psp questions

i have been thinking of getting a psp, mostly because of homebrew and being able to play snes games. what do you think of your psp, and what accesories would you suggest i get for it. also does anyone have a guide on how to do the homebrew stuff? thanks

(delete this thread if it is against forum rules to talk about homebrew stuff)
Old 06-29-07, 06:55 AM

I own 2 PSPs (one was bought at launch with the original v1.50 firmware for homebrew use; the second I bought on sale last Christmas for official Sony firmware updates, which is currently patched at v3.50); as you can tell, I enjoy the PSP platform quite a bit. While the DS does have a solid software library, I went with the PSP because of the LCD screen, multimedia capabilities, online features and I happen to prefer the software titles over the DS'.

I don't have any accessories other than a Logitech PlayGear case for one of them and a UMD case for carrying around additional UMDs when I travel.
Old 06-29-07, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not worth owning a PSP for the homebrew, and the emulators only work well enough to be just tolerable for 8-bit systems. If you're going to get a PSP, get it for the original titles on the system. I made the mistake of getting one for that with only a couple of PSP games I actually wanted and ended up taking it back.
Old 06-29-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Homebrew has worked fine for me. Currently using NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, and PS1 stuff on it. Some of the original homebrew games are fun too.
Old 06-29-07, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

hows the N64?
Old 06-29-07, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
So far ive only played Mario 64, but I didnt notice any speed issues. Biggest thing is learning the control map
Old 06-30-07, 03:50 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are they going to release the PSP lite anytime soon? I heard that it's the screen size is the same, but everything else is slimmed down.
Old 06-30-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
It's not worth owning a PSP for the homebrew
Couldn't agree more. It's a novel idea, but the execution is ass.
Old 06-30-07, 03:48 PM

i owned a psp but never played it, Homebrew was alright, but didnt work perfect. I sold mine on ebay, Theres a few good games, but I like the ds better. The screen on the psp is fantastic though.
Old 07-03-07, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck
Homebrew has worked fine for me. Currently using NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, and PS1 stuff on it. Some of the original homebrew games are fun too.
That's the great thing about homebrew: it adds a level of functionality and flexibility to a system that you otherwise won't have with other hardware; it's about untapped and realized potential, which adds play value at little or no cost. Homebrew apps are constantly being updated to ensure better compatibility and stability; dedicated PSP owners realize this, and are willing to be persistent and patient because the efforts of others may or will pay off eventually. It's no different than developers offering patches for games to address bugs and other gameplay issues.

As good as the homebrew apps are (and they're improving constantly), the original titles matter more to me over the long haul.
Old 07-03-07, 03:49 AM
Cool New Member

the only thing i find useful with my psp is the mp3 player. sad but true. i dont even play games on anymore except the occassional PQ here and there. im trying to find a clueless local to unload my psp onto but no luck yet!
Old 07-03-07, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by rojkai
im trying to find a clueless local to unload my psp onto but no luck yet!
Craigslist might be one option to explore if you need to unload gaming hardware (not sure if you used this as yet).
Old 07-03-07, 09:32 AM

how much do you want for your psp?

would you trade for it?