Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Sid Meier's Civilization coming to consoles/handhelds!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sid Meier's Civilization coming to consoles/handhelds!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-08, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Drexl
I haven't played the demo yet, but that's just what I had feared. I read that you can play a complete game in a few hours, and that seems wrong. The article mentioned how previous Civ games would take around 10 hours, but that seemed like just the right length to me - short enough to encourage you to play it again and try new things, and so you're not just tired of the game by the time it ends (like you are with GTA or an RPG), but not too short that it felt rushed and oversimplified.

BTW, is a DS version actually on the way, or just wishful thinking? This particular game looks like it was designed for the current-gen (HD) systems, and I doubt the DS could handle it.

I need to download this and try it. But 10 hours? I always play Civ IV on epic and rarely make it past the early gunpowder era (in about 10 hours).
Old 06-06-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
I need to download this and try it. But 10 hours? I always play Civ IV on epic and rarely make it past the early gunpowder era (in about 10 hours).
Well, I think they were referring to the first game, and maybe the second.
Old 06-07-08, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I play Civ4 on marathon. I think that might have something to do with my dislike of this game.
Old 06-07-08, 04:15 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Ths just seemed like watered down Civ 4. There were some innovations I liked (the idea of an economic victory condition, for example), but in general, I think I'll stick to the PC for Civ.
Old 06-08-08, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm digging the demo. I bought Civilization III on clearance from Target a couple of weeks ago and that's been my only exposure to the series thus far. Yes, this console version seems watered down, but I still had fun with it. For me the big win is the fact that the controls aren't overly complicated like most console strategy games.

I'll get it on day one even though it will probably experience a $15 - $20 price drop a couple of weeks after it's released.
Old 06-11-08, 09:06 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JasonF
Ths just seemed like watered down Civ 4. There were some innovations I liked (the idea of an economic victory condition, for example), but in general, I think I'll stick to the PC for Civ.
I've been playing around with the demo some more and I'm rethinking my initial impression. This game is growing on me. I'm starting to think I'll pick this up.
Old 06-11-08, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

it got 9/10 in game informer...
Old 06-11-08, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Played this a few nights back. Seemed OK. It did seem to have captured the spirit of Civ and the controls were pretty decent. I still found myself wanting to be able to select units and the like via a mouse, and tweaking resources.

I also didn't like how I couldn't quite see the resource details from the city menu because the dang menu was in the way. Also, I didn't like not being able to see resources until I got a Settler to the area.

I think I'll pass and stick with my Civ4 on the PC. I like the complexity. But this did really seem to have the Civ spirit. I'll stick with Romance of the Three Kingdoms for my console strategy craving.
Old 06-12-08, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been playing around with the demo some more and I'm rethinking my initial impression. This game is growing on me. I'm starting to think I'll pick this up.
What has changed for you?
Old 06-12-08, 09:33 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I'm not sure. I think maybe I just stopped comparing it so much to Civ 4 and allowed it to be its own game. It's definitely simplified compared to Civ 4, but the more I explore it, the more I realize the simplifications were not haphazard or arbitrary. Most importantly, there is strategic depth to this game. The choices are different choices from the ones in Civ 4, but the game still makes you flex your mental muscles (at least, it would if the demo had any of the higher skill levels).
Old 06-12-08, 09:49 AM

I can't wait for this game. I don't have a PC at home so I have no way of playing Civ. In fact I haven't even played a Civ game since like 2002.
Old 06-12-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not sure. I think maybe I just stopped comparing it so much to Civ 4 and allowed it to be its own game. It's definitely simplified compared to Civ 4, but the more I explore it, the more I realize the simplifications were not haphazard or arbitrary. Most importantly, there is strategic depth to this game. The choices are different choices from the ones in Civ 4, but the game still makes you flex your mental muscles (at least, it would if the demo had any of the higher skill levels).
That's a good point. I'm sure the game must be more challenging on higher difficulty levels. Still, I can't see myself preferring this game over Civ4.
Old 06-12-08, 10:53 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm sure it was the soothing voice acting from the advisers.
Old 06-12-08, 11:41 AM
Suspended

That's a good point. I'm sure the game must be more challenging on higher difficulty levels. Still, I can't see myself preferring this game over Civ4.
I agree with that, but I think Civ 4 and Civ Rev serve different needs in me. Sort of like sometimes, I like to read Dickens and sometimes, I like to read Stan Lee.
Old 06-12-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree with that, but I think Civ 4 and Civ Rev serve different needs in me. Sort of like sometimes, I like to read Dickens and sometimes, I like to read Stan Lee.
I guess if I need to read Stan Lee I just pull out my copy of Beautiful Katamari.
Old 06-12-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 954 Likes on 697 Posts
I'll be picking this up mostly for the on-line play. I have a few friends that will definitely play this but don't have a PC that can handle Civ 4. Plus, I'd rather sit on my couch using my TV instead of sitting at my computer desk for a few hours.
Old 06-12-08, 11:52 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I wish there was an equivalent of "play by email" built into this where you'd have a set amount of time to submit your turn (configurable, but typically 24 hours or so) to the server. I don't like online play for Civ where you have to do it all in one setting.
Old 06-12-08, 05:47 PM

There was a Pitboss setup that you would login to a server to take your turns; eliminating a lot of the mess that one has with PBEM. I don't recall if it ever got up and running though.
Old 07-07-08, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
I played the PS3 demo for about an hour and it was pretty fun. reminded me for Civ 2 but with more annoying people jumping on the screen and mumbling
Old 07-08-08, 09:19 AM

Not sure if I am going to get the ds version or the ps3 version, I am actually thinking of getting both.
Old 07-10-08, 01:05 AM

I bought it on ps3 and I enjoy it. PC is better but I have had problems playing Civ 4 on PC since I bought it so I can at least enjoy a Civ game.
Old 07-22-08, 06:33 PM
Suspended

I've been playing the hell out of this since it was released. I've done a complete 180. When I first played the demo, I thought it was Civilization for Dummies. Now, I think it may be my favorite Civ game. They stripped out a lot of the micromanagement, and it really frees you up to concentrate on core gameplay: building armies, conquering cities, chosing a path through the tech tree, developing culture, and capturing resources. Tracer, you definitely ought to at least give this one a rental to check it out.
Old 07-23-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I've been playing the hell out of this since it was released. I've done a complete 180. When I first played the demo, I thought it was Civilization for Dummies. Now, I think it may be my favorite Civ game. They stripped out a lot of the micromanagement, and it really frees you up to concentrate on core gameplay: building armies, conquering cities, chosing a path through the tech tree, developing culture, and capturing resources. Tracer, you definitely ought to at least give this one a rental to check it out.
I've really been enjoying it too. I'm looking forward to the downloadable content (new wonders, relics) coming soon.
Old 07-23-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Tracer, you definitely ought to at least give this one a rental to check it out.
Hmm, since I was called out by name, I think I will.
Old 09-10-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts
This is my first foray into the Civ world. Any advice?

Do you normally make treaties with other factions or immediately go to war with them?

How do you guys play: aggressive or passive and what's the trade-off?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.