Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Video game podcasts

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-11, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Video game podcasts

Andrea is totally vapid for me. She never has anything particularly intelligent to say. Jeff Cannata has more than enough light heartedness (as long as he NEVER mentions Gameflap ever again).

I know what you mean about that other guy, he wasn't so eloquent in expressing his opinions, but he is pretty much on the same page as me. Wii is not for me, their motion tech is weak and why would I want to play 480p games these days. WiiU is also not for me, obsolete by the time it comes out and a non multitouch plastic tablet. 3DS that looks about as good as a PSP with a headache inducing 3D effect. Anyway, there are obviously millions who derive intense pleasure from Nintendo products but I am no longer one of them.

Also, he's right about how 90% of enthusiast journalists don't understand competitive online gaming (listen to Xav and Jeff C try to talk about CoD). The reason why is completely understandable but it shows a definite gap in the coverage of the big sites.

Bring back Billy.
Old 09-15-13, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Alright, Canatta is starting to get on my nerves. Three weeks ago we got 30m of WoW talk. Two weeks ago, 30m of Hearthstone. Last week a double whammy combo of both. This week 15 more WoW and even Garnett gets in the game spending a bunch of time talking about another deck building game. Ugh.

I understand that not every game they discuss will be one I like, but generally I enjoy any conversation no matter the game. I can even appreciate deck building games, but to drone on about them at length? What a friggin' snoozefest.
Old 09-15-13, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Alright, Canatta is starting to get on my nerves. Three weeks ago we got 30m of WoW talk. Two weeks ago, 30m of Hearthstone. Last week a double whammy combo of both. This week 15 more WoW and even Garnett gets in the game spending a bunch of time talking about another deck building game. Ugh.

I understand that not every game they discuss will be one I like, but generally I enjoy any conversation no matter the game. I can even appreciate deck building games, but to drone on about them at length? What a friggin' snoozefest.
Hopefully it'll pass. I like Cannata (2 Ns, 1 T ) enough to tolerate him wandering off a bit every now and then. He's probably the best personality on the show.

I actually liked the lineup this week, and appreciated the lack of Andrea.

That said, this show can't hold a candle to the old 1up days. I know most people liked the Shane/Luke days the most, but my favorite lineup was Shane/John. That was a panel of varied tastes, and they had some great debates.
Old 09-16-13, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cannata is my favorite person on the show. I used to also like Luke and really liked John.

Garnet Lee does a decent job keeping the show moving most of the time - but the episodes when he is pretty drunk are agony. Or an episode or two back where he was totally pouting like a toddler.

I really enjoy all the board game talk.
Old 09-16-13, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Garnet is the defining factor in why his shows have lasting appeal. He may pout from time to time(the 2DS thing was hilarious), but as a show runner he typically can't be beat.

Originally Posted by chess
That said, this show can't hold a candle to the old 1up days. I know most people liked the Shane/Luke days the most, but my favorite lineup was Shane/John. That was a panel of varied tastes, and they had some great debates.
Garnet, Shane, Luke & John were on at the same time. Or are you just talking about that brief bit of time just after Luke left?
Old 09-16-13, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Garnet is the defining factor in why his shows have lasting appeal. He may pout from time to time(the 2DS thing was hilarious), but as a show runner he typically can't be beat.
Yeah the 2DS thing was funny and annoying at the same time. He genuinely seemed upset.
Old 09-16-13, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can handle the occasional WOW talk, it's akin to listening to the latest Madden or another game that I will never play.

But I agree about Hearthstone, the problem wasn't the discussion of the game, it's that they dove deep into the weeds to introduce a game nobody else has played. They got very specific into the mechanics and inputs, it needs to be more high level. Even my wife commented on how long they spent talking about that game.

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Yeah the 2DS thing was funny and annoying at the same time. He genuinely seemed upset.
That was awkward, as awkward as it usually is when Garnett has too much to drink (I can't remember if that was a drinking day). Sometimes he takes things really personal, I think Jeff was just making light of his hyperbole not really criticizing him. I wanted him to continue, I'm just as confused about the 2DS as he is.

Was never as big of fan of the Luke/Shane combo as everyone else, I always like when Shawn Elliott or Jeff Green were on 1upyours, although in that case I could just listen to the Brodeo.

Last edited by msdmoney; 09-16-13 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-16-13, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Garnet, Shane, Luke & John were on at the same time. Or are you just talking about that brief bit of time just after Luke left?
I'd forgotten how that overlap worked out, but yeah, I guess that's what I mean.

I never cared for the Shane vs. Luke dynamic.
Old 10-11-13, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's still strange listing to the Bombcast without Ryan (and Patrick), but it's still one of my favorite podcasts. Drew does a good job, but doesn't fill that gap. Also listen to Weekend Confirmed and Cagcast most of the time. Gamers with Jobs has great personality (but they favor PC stuff most of the time). And every once in a while I'll listen to Joystiq and the Besties (Polygon people), but I'm not a huge fan of either. The Rooster Teeth guys are annoying and a little childish for me (just an opinion).

Are there any other good podcasts that I can put in rotation?
Old 10-11-13, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
It's still strange listing to the Bombcast without Ryan (and Patrick), but it's still one of my favorite podcasts. Drew does a good job, but doesn't fill that gap. Also listen to Weekend Confirmed and Cagcast most of the time. Gamers with Jobs has great personality (but they favor PC stuff most of the time). And every once in a while I'll listen to Joystiq and the Besties (Polygon people), but I'm not a huge fan of either. The Rooster Teeth guys are annoying and a little childish for me (just an opinion).

I listen to VideoGamer (the Brits who do the videos). They are funny and lean slightly Xbox, so you'd probably like them.

I also think the Game Informer show is pretty good. They don't have a standard format, so it's always a surprise...might be an interesting interview, might be a game review, might be the latest cover story.

Idle Thumbs is somewhere between Bombcast and GWJ. Not a lot of console content but the personalities are fun. This one is love it or hate it.
Old 10-11-13, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247

I love that Drew doesn't play video games. Just watches F1 and doesn't like it. That's such a good fit for a video game podcast.

You could always listen to No Quarters. *cough*
Old 10-11-13, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha. Glad to see I wasn't the only one that hated the 30 min detour into Hearthstone.
The drunk episode around the end of July was unbearable, and I wanted to strangle all of them, but Garnett especially.
Old 10-11-13, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like Major Nelson's podcast. Obviously slants xbox but he gets good guests and I like the gadget section.
Old 10-11-13, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chuckd21
You could always listen to No Quarters. *cough*
Listening on Stitcher. Not bad. Might even subscribe.
Old 10-11-13, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Chess, I added VideoGamer and Game Informer. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check out a couple episodes. I listed to Idle Thumbs in the past, but that wasn't my cup of tea. Seemed to be good guys though.

chuckd21, added No Quarters. I'll check out a couple episodes as well. Didn't know you were involved with that one. Also, nice updated sig.
Old 02-04-14, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, apparently Weekend Confirmed is no more.

Hopefully Garnett will get something going in the near future.
Old 02-05-14, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Was still the best gaming podcast around, but I have to admit that at least half the people he had on annoyed the shit out of me. I'd listen to Garnett, Jeff, Spicer and Indie Jeff any time, but every other guest was cringe worthy, particularly Andrea and that Annoyed Gamer dude.

I'm really not sure what to move on to as my primary show until he gets something up and running. Nobody else hits the kind of notes Garnett does. He's earnest and organized, and I have a hard time listening to stuff like Giant Bomb or CAG, where they're unstructured and aloof, not to mention way too long.

I might have to fall back to IGN. I used to find Greg Miller annoying, but he's grown on me.
Old 02-05-14, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, apparently Weekend Confirmed is no more.

Hopefully Garnett will get something going in the near future.
Yeah, they kept alluding to the show ending for the past few shows, but I didn't take it seriously enough at first or just figured the show would seamlessly transition into something separate from Shacknews because they talked about continuing the show. Then this goodbye show came along, and it finally sunk in. I really hope they continue the show in the future.
Old 02-05-14, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by msdmoney
Yeah, they kept alluding to the show ending for the past few shows, but I didn't take it seriously enough at first or just figured the show would seamlessly transition into something separate from Shacknews because they talked about continuing the show. Then this goodbye show came along, and it finally sunk in. I really hope they continue the show in the future.
Same here. I haven't finished the goodbye show yet but I was disappointed to hear that there will be a while with no show. Did they ever outline exactly why it is ending? Is Garnett leaving Shacknews?
Old 02-05-14, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Same here. I haven't finished the goodbye show yet but I was disappointed to hear that there will be a while with no show. Did they ever outline exactly why it is ending? Is Garnett leaving Shacknews?
Gamefly and some other sponsors are no longer sponsoring it. Also, Garnett has been fired from Gamefly. The show will continue in the near future as some sort of independent thing. If you're looking for something to fill the time in while that gets off the ground Jeff started a new podcast called "DLC" with the exact some personnel on it.

And yeah, sucks to see it go. Other than Andrea Rene, who by all accounts is a complete moron, I thought it was the best podcast out there.
Old 02-05-14, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Gamefly and some other sponsors are no longer sponsoring it. Also, Garnett has been fired from Gamefly. The show will continue in the near future as some sort of independent thing. If you're looking for something to fill the time in while that gets off the ground Jeff started a new podcast called "DLC" with the exact some personnel on it.

And yeah, sucks to see it go. Other than Andrea Rene, who by all accounts is a complete moron, I thought it was the best podcast out there.
Why did he get fired? Just downsizing or was there a story there?

I will have to check out DLC. He was my favorite person on the podcast already.
Old 03-10-14, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI, "Garnett on Games" is a thing.

It's a solo show, and it's good, but it is quite different to have him not moderating.
Old 03-10-14, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
FYI, "Garnett on Games" is a thing.

It's a solo show, and it's good, but it is quite different to have him not moderating.
I thought the show was solid for being solo. I'll sub once its on Itunes.
Old 03-10-14, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah, quite good. Hope I didn't imply otherwise. I'm listening to it now, and he has a unique and thoughtful voice among the enthusiast press.
Old 03-10-14, 02:48 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I finally got around to listening to the last WC yesterdya and today. Sad stuff. I'm going to miss them all (even Andrea Rene, who I liked!)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.