Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii Thread - Part VI

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Official Wii Thread - Part VI

Summary - Wii is cool, but can it ever get past being a collecting place for games filled with mini-games? I sure hope so.
Old 06-11-07, 11:47 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Wii is cool, but can it ever get past being a collecting place for games filled with mini-games? I sure hope so.
You and me both. Things are looking up, though, with Metroid, Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros all on track for release this year.
Old 06-11-07, 11:48 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I was responding to a question about Zelda on the Gamecube just as the thread was closed. Here's my answer:

I don't know anybody who's played both versions, but according to MetaCritic, Zelda TP is the third highest rated game for the Cube. As I understand it, the only differences are the control schemes and that the Wii version has 16:9.
Old 06-11-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But honestly, I'm not realyl expecting much from Mario Galaxy. Even that looks like a collection of minigames in a way. Each little planet is it's own mini-game to me.
Old 06-11-07, 11:50 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
But honestly, I'm not realyl expecting much from Mario Galaxy. Even that looks like a collection of minigames in a way. Each little planet is it's own mini-game to me.
I don't see that at all. Each planet should be like each painting in Mario 64, or each portal in Mario Sunshine--just a full fledged 3D platforming level.
Old 06-11-07, 11:51 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
To be fair, it's following the standard set by Mario 64 (the painting worlds) and Mario Sunshine (the various parts of Isle Delfino).

And if having different levels/worlds = minigame collections, then just about every console game ever made is a minigame collection.
Old 06-11-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh H
I don't see that at all. Each planet should be like each painting in Mario 64, or each portal in Mario Sunshine--just a full fledged 3D platforming level.
Should is the correct word - but from the videos I've seen, it's been a small little planet that he farts around on and then jumps to another. Not looking that cool to me

OK - What I'm trying to say is that I don't see a full level, like inside the paintings or the way it was on Sunshine. All I've seen is levels of space where there are a bunch of spheres that Mario jumps between, killing space caterpillars then moving on. Show me a video of a larger level, without any planet jumping, and I'll slightly retract my concern.
Old 06-11-07, 12:00 PM
Retired

L&O, I'd guess Nintendo is just showing little snippets of the levels/planets.

They're notorious for not showing much until games are very near release. I think the jumping from planet to planet shown is just how you get from world to world, not a major gameplay element.

Conversely, some of the GDC trailer that has a lot of that hopping around from little area to little are looks like its all within one world.

Time will tell though. But all indications is that this is a full fledged Mario platformer.

Last edited by Josh H; 06-11-07 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-11-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Here is a link specifically for DVDtalk user gimmiepilotwings: click here
Old 06-11-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mario Galaxy. while the graphics look cool, doesnt look like fun. from the videos I dont dig all the small planets etc. I didnt like Sunshine exept for the classic platforming levels which is what Mario games should be.
Old 06-11-07, 01:52 PM
Retired

While I definitely prefer the 2D Mario games, I did still like Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine a hell of a lot, so I'm looking forward to this.

And again I'm having a feeling the small planets they've showed are just the tip of the ice berg.
Old 06-11-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh H
While I definitely prefer the 2D Mario games, I did still like Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine a hell of a lot, so I'm looking forward to this.

And again I'm having a feeling the small planets they've showed are just the tip of the ice berg.
I actually think I heard/read as much. I believe the video of the planet hopping was one level, not the whole game.
Old 06-11-07, 02:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Here is a link specifically for DVDtalk user gimmiepilotwings: click here
Release date: 12/31/07
Old 06-11-07, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
So was there a consenus about if you start to see some pixelation when going from menus to whatnot, if that's something to really worry about?
Old 06-11-07, 08:58 PM
Retired

I'd say any video distortion you weren't getting before is something to worry about.

Make sure the cable is firmly in the back of Wii as well as all the connections from their on (to tv or to receiver etc.).

If they are and you're still getting them I'd give Nintendo a call.
Old 06-12-07, 11:43 AM

Click the link for the whole story

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=14289

Pachter: May NPD To See Wii Triumphant

In the particularly keenly-fought area of next-gen game hardware sales, Pachter is estimating sell-through of 400,000 Wii, 225,000 Xbox 360, and 100,000 PS3 hardware systems, predicting that Nintendo's next-gen console will outsell Sony's by as high as factor as 4:1.
Chris
Old 06-12-07, 11:48 AM

Ok, so I want to get a new game - a party/puzzle type game with great multi-player functionality (not necessarily 4-player, but at least 2 player.) So far on my list are:

Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
Kororinpa: Marble Mania
Mario Party 8 (After reading IGNs review I may just stick with 7)
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves

Right now Wario Ware is my first choice, but Super Monkey Ball sounds intriguing as well. Can you do the mazes head-to-head? or only the mini-games? Rayman also sounded fun, but sounds like it uses the Nunchuck too much for multi-player (as I only have the 1 at this time - I have 2 Wii-motes)

Thoughts?
Old 06-12-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by C-Mart
Ok, so I want to get a new game - a party/puzzle type game with great multi-player functionality (not necessarily 4-player, but at least 2 player.) So far on my list are:

Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
Mario Party 8 (After reading IGNs review I may just stick with 7)
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz

Right now Wario Ware is my first choice, but Super Monkey Ball sounds intriguing as well. Can you do the mazes head-to-head? or only the mini-games? Rayman also sounded fun, but sounds like it uses the Nunchuck too much for multi-player (as I only have the 1 at this time - I have 2 Wii-motes)

Thoughts?
Of those, I've played RRR, SMB, and WW. Of those, I'd buy Warioware. I think it'd be the most fun at parties. I have yet to play it multiplayer though, but I plan to purchase it sometime in the future.

I didn't like Super Monkey Ball's party games. Rayman is pretty fun... I haven't played it multi-player though, so I can't comment on that.
Old 06-12-07, 12:02 PM

I'd definitely go with mario party, considering it does what Wario does, only better. Much better replay value as well

I preferred the mini-games in Super Monkey Ball over RRR.
Old 06-12-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I've played
Mario Party 8
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Haven't played SMB, but I have played previous SMB game.
Of those, I'd suggest either WW or MP8, depending on the type of 'party' you're having. I enjoy the board game aspect of MP8, and the minigames are pretty diverse, but they're almost not the main part of the main game (at least one the boards/setups I've played.) WW is definitely more 'manic' and faster paced, which may be what you're looking for. They're slightly different takes on the 'party game' formula, but both good at what they do. I think MP8 will have more longevity than WW, but WW would be better for a pick up and play, everyone-gets-a-turn quickly type game.
Old 06-12-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Monkey Ball is ass. Forget that one even exists.

Haven't tried MP8 yet, but from what I've heard and read only 50% of the game is with Wiimote functionality. So I wouldn't recommend it. Pick up an older one for the gamecube cheap.

If you are looking for somethinig new I'd go for Rayman. Wario is good, it just comes down to, do you like Mini games or micro games? I couldn't get into the micro games.
Old 06-12-07, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I disagree, I think Monkey Ball is quite fun. Especially the single player mode.
Old 06-12-07, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I too think that Money Ball is junk. Rayman was honestly more fun as a single player game to me. Wario Ware is fun but having to beat the single player to unlock multiplayer was a tad annoying. Big Brain Academy looks like a game you would have to twist my arm to get me to play. Mario Party is probably the best bet. We used to play the hell out of the previous ones and I grew sick of the series but as soon as 8 was released I was once again curious about checking it out.
Old 06-12-07, 01:16 PM

I don't know

I absolutely hated Rayman and sold it immediately

I'd say rent them both and buy the one you prefer
Old 06-12-07, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Monkey Ball is ass. Forget that one even exists.

Haven't tried MP8 yet, but from what I've heard and read only 50% of the game is with Wiimote functionality. So I wouldn't recommend it. Pick up an older one for the gamecube cheap.
Unfortunately, you don't get much of a discount on used Mario Party games (at least from my experience). I've seen MP7 selling for $40-45.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.