Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Where do you buy games from?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-11-07, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After much debate I think I will buy the 360 premium instead of the elite.
I wanted to know wher edo youguys buy games from, is there a site where you get it for cheap, or is it same everywhere. I am going to buy the ocnsole from CC as reght now you get a free wireless controller with it. I don't know which game I should pcik up with it. I played a game on the PS3 in the store and I really liked it, it was a racing game, I guess it was called grad turismo or something I can't remember. I have heard about Forza, should I pick that up.

Last question, Can I play demo games on XBL live without buying anything along with the console and then decide which one I really like. I don't knwo anything about how the 360 works. So youinputs will help educate me.

I will have to come back to you guys to learn more once Ihave the 360 with me.

Also I will be playing on the traditional 20" crt tv. What cable swill I need or will it come with all the cables I need.

Cheers!!!
Old 06-11-07, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I buy my games from wherever they're cheapest at. That could be BB, CC, Target, wherever. I buy a lot of used games from EB/GS, especially when they've got a B2G1 free.

Forza is phenomenal. Definately pick it up if you love racing games.

You can download all the demos from Live without paying anything extra, but you will need to get Live Gold to play online with other people.
Old 06-11-07, 11:10 AM
Retired

Usually Best Buy, Circuit City or Target. Most often Best Buy as its the closest to my house (though all 3 are within a mile) and it is the newest and nicest of the stores. Target I avoid unless something is on sale as its often a pain to find someone to get a game out of the locked cases.

Occasionally order online from Amazon as I have an Amazon Credit Card and tend to have reward GCs around, as well as some GCs from Keynote website evaluations. Currently hoarding them to possibly put toward a 360 this fall.

I pretty much avoid the game stores like the plague, haven't set foot in one in November. Will go back if they have a crazy sale, but that's rare. B2G1 doesn't do much for me as I don't like to build up a backlog of games as then I rush through games to get to the next one in the pile.
Old 06-11-07, 11:23 AM
Banned

No matter where you buy it, make sure you get some kind of extended warranty. You will be sorry if you don't.
Old 06-11-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

New games: Best Buy (for the Reward Zone points)
Used games: Half.com
Old 06-11-07, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by taffer
No matter where you buy it, make sure you get some kind of extended warranty. You will be sorry if you don't.
I am planning to get the EW from CC. Is the CC EW good or the BB EW.
The only reason I am buying it from CC is because of the extra controller that they are offering now.Else I would have bought it from BB.
Old 06-11-07, 11:56 AM
Retired

Seems like the MS warranty might be a better bet since it seems like they are fixing consoles and sending the same ones back now. As noted by others in different threads here, this is a good sign that they might have figured out the problem leading to the red rings of death and that the repairs will keep you from having to exchange it 2, 3, 4 or more times as many have (and is likely if you just take it back to store for a new one on their warranty as the new console will have the same design flaws).

Also you'll want to find out which stores only allow one exchange per warranty, as that's a rip off and very risky on a system that many people have had die multiple times.
Old 06-11-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Wherever there are bargains. I frequent CheapAssGamer for deals, watch the weekly ads.
Old 06-11-07, 12:10 PM

Does anyone know, How is CC EW?replacement plan. I plan to buy the premium today in the evening.

If you don't buy the controller charger. how do you charge the wireless controllers?
Old 06-11-07, 12:12 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by sid369
If you don't buy the controller charger. how do you charge the wireless controllers?
They use 2 AA batteries if you don't have the recharge kit, so you can use rechargeable NihM batteries.

As for the Warrnanty, click the link for it on the page below and you can read the terms yourself.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Speci...ecification.do
Old 06-11-07, 12:14 PM

What ar esome of the racing games that two players can play. Which website reviews games and tells more about the games details?
Old 06-11-07, 12:17 PM
Retired

Pretty much every racing game has a 2 player mode.

Good sites for reviews are:

www.1up.com
www.gamespot.com
http://xbox360.ign.com/
Old 06-11-07, 12:19 PM

Thanks Josh H
Old 06-11-07, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depends. No giftcards or anything, I'd probably buy a new release at the place that had the best deal: Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.

Used games I'd either buy from eBay or Amazon Marketplace.
Old 06-11-07, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
Wherever there are bargains. I frequent CheapAssGamer for deals, watch the weekly ads.
Exactly. I have no ties anywhere. Wherever the game is cheapest I'll go. CAG usually has the hook up somewhere.
Old 06-11-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Start frequenting the cheapassgamer forums to find some deals on games. I buy from whatever place has the best price. Sometimes I will use ebay too.
Old 06-11-07, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Definitely pick up Forza 2 if you like sim-racers like Gran Turismo. Much better than the demo.
Old 06-11-07, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like it much better than the GT series, but I really didn't feel it was much different than the demo

the online aspect, apart from posting lap times, has been a complete waste of time for me :/
Old 06-11-07, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
For new games:

Fry's is usually the cheapest. They're not available everywhere, and they don't always have killer deals, but you can frequently find new release games at more than 5 bucks off. For instance, Dawn of Mana is $35 until tomorrow.

Best Buy is second... not necessarily because of Reward Zone points, but because of the GGC: the gamer gift cards that they had that come with these $5 off any game 19.99 and above. If a game is not on sale for more than 5 bucks off anywhere else, and I really want the game, I'll go here first because of that.

Otherwise, CC and Target are the other weekly ads I'll check. And CAG for the random killer deal, of course.
Old 06-11-07, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You could "roll the dice" if you will, and not buy the extended warranty. Use a credit card that offers buyer protection that doubles the mfr warranty up to a year. That gives you 2 years. Also, look into Costco's return policy. I know it changed to 90 days for TV's, Computers, Camcorders. Cameras. Ipods and Cell Phones. If the 360 falls in the computer category, then they extend the warranty to 2 years (3 if you use your AMEX card?) (can anyone confirm this??)

If it doesn't fall into any of these categories, than Costco is definitely the way to go.
Old 06-11-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Most of my purchases are from Amazon. No tax & Free shipping, plus the Deal of the Days.

The only B&M stores near me are BB, so I sometimes pick up stuff there if I can get it on sale, and I use the Rewards Zone to sweeten the deal a bit.
Old 06-11-07, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
No sales tax here, so buying a game full price online is pretty much useless. I buy games on a whim if I'm suddenly bored for a weekend or something.

I try not to support EB/Gamestop if I can.
Old 06-12-07, 08:54 AM

Can someone who uses a CRT SD TV confirm this, does the Xbox premium come with a composite cables that I can hook up to my 20" CRT SD TV. Or do I have buy that separetly.
Old 06-12-07, 09:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sid369
Can someone who uses a CRT SD TV confirm this, does the Xbox premium come with a composite cables that I can hook up to my 20" CRT SD TV. Or do I have buy that separetly.
The premium comes with both composite and component cables.
Old 06-12-07, 09:13 AM

Thanks taffer

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.