Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s - PS2 - July 24th

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-07, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
Yeah, I finally got a chance to play after having it in hand for a week, but being away from my PS2. As expected, the game isn't worth $50. It's every bit an expansion. New outfits, 80's colors in the (carried over) arenas, some new loading screen quips, and the set list are pretty much all that's different. For the same price as GH2, you get fewer songs, characters, arenas, and unlockables, so shame on Activision for that. What makes them smart, though, is that so many of us knew that going in and couldn't wait to fork over the money anyway. Thank goodness for Best Buy's deal to ease some of the pain.

All that said, this is probably my favorite set list of the 3 games. The fun factor is through the roof for me. And it's nice after reading about how everyone is cakewalking through it to actually struggle with a good portion of the later sections (on Hard, no less). I mean, I beat the Hard level quickly, but 5-starring everything won't be easy. The only downside is that the songs that are much more challenging aren't really the fun ones for me (except for Play With Me).

Now if I could just get this work done, I can run off and play some more.
I agree that this game should have been $30 instead of $50, but I'm one of the people who bought it, so I guess I can't say much. But anyway, even with only 31 songs, I'm enjoying this setlist much, much more than GH2's. Even though I may not be familiar with all of the songs, most of them are really fun to play and are nice to listen to. I'd play this game over GH2 any day. I still think GH1's setlist is the best overall of the three, though.
Old 07-31-07, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i like this game a LOT more than i thought i would..

i seriously had no idea how much fun i'd have rocking out to 'We Got The Beat' and 'The Warrior'...

though there are a LOT of songs on there that i've definitely never heard before..
Old 07-31-07, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally Posted by mkdevo
i seriously had no idea how much fun i'd have rocking out to 'We Got The Beat' and 'The Warrior'...
What's funny is that while I don't find this song that difficult (to be so high up on the chart), I can't help playing it all the time (all while I picture the video running in my head).

Definately one of those wtf were they thinking videos of the time.

Last edited by devilshalo; 07-31-07 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-02-07, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
I'm in agreement about this being way overpriced.

For $50, you basically get Guitar Hero II with half of the songs. And seven characters with no additional costumes, no songs to buy, the same old venues with slightly different color schemes, and the same guitars (even the unlockable ones!) from the orignal GHII. There's hardly any point in earning money.

I also found some of the selections to be quite disappointing. "Radar Love" (which is actually a 70s song covered by an 80s band, which makes it a cover of a cover) has about half of the song where you don't even play the fucking guitar. When you only have thirty songs that they're charging you fifty bucks for, the duds really stand out. I would have much rather had something like New Order's "Age of Consent" or The Cure's "Just Like Heaven" in there.

And, while it's fun to play, the changes to the lyrics of "Police Truck" are laughable.

Picked this for $25 from Best Buy ($40 - $15 gift card) and it's barely worth that.
Old 08-02-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree this is overpriced....but we bought it. Lots of people bought it I'm sure. I got in on the best buy deal also. I put mine on ebay on monday and got about $40 net out of it, so for $2 I was able to play the game and get a $15 gift card. Not that bad. I will probably buy this again when it hits the bargain bin.

Edit:

374,519 were sold according to VGchartz.com

Last edited by flair; 08-02-07 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-02-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flair
I agree this is overpriced....but we bought it. Lots of people bought it I'm sure. I got in on the best buy deal also. I put mine on ebay on monday and got about $40 net out of it, so for $2 I was able to play the game and get a $15 gift card. Not that bad. I will probably buy this again when it hits the bargain bin.

Edit:

374,519 were sold according to VGchartz.com
In all fairness to the "we bought it" arguement, which I absolutely agree with, Jdm's larger point is right. When you're working with this many (few) songs, the clunkers are absolutely magnified and make you scratch your head.

"Because, it's Midnight" has no place in the game other than a poke at 80's hairbands, which means it's original position as the lone bonus song would have been the only place it would have made sense. And other than for a cheap laugh, the solo is just obnoxious. The "cover of a cover" tunes, "Radar Love" (which I actually enjoy) and, to me the worst of all, "Ballroom Blitz," were a desperate grab at cross-decade songs to bring more recognizable tunes in despite having a wealth of legit 80's songs to choose from. As I said earlier, I'm still shocked that they didn't do it again with X's cover of "Wild Thing" instead of their own "Los Angeles" because their goal was clear with RL and BB.

I can blame myself for buying out of desperation for new songs, and because I hawked over the damn thing through previews and youtube and scorehero. But not everyone went in knowing that they were getting $20-$30 worth of a game for full price, and no one but Activision is to blame for that.

I like the game. I'm addicted. I love the playlist overall, because it's saved by a lot of great tunes and suprisingly fun ones to play. But I think we're entitled to be a little miffed that so much of it feels like a cop-out.
Old 08-02-07, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could it have been better? Of course. But I have no true complaints. They really did not have to do this game and for $25, I am going to get my moneys worth. Any and all GH is welcome in my book and I won't complain.
Old 08-02-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Shagrath
The one thing I really don't like about this is the songs that "fade out" as you keep playing.
I agree. Especially on "I Ran". Is that even a guitar? It sounds like a synthesizer. They really shouldve put some better 80's songs on this game. The Police song is good, but thats pretty much it IMO. Some John Cafferty or Huey Lewis (esp heart and Soul), maybe even Bruce Springsteen wouldve been great on this game.
Old 08-02-07, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
"Because, it's Midnight" has no place in the game other than a poke at 80's hairbands, which means it's original position as the lone bonus song would have been the only place it would have made sense.
So it was originally intended to be a Bonus song then? Any idea what song got dropped last minute?

I like the game. I'm addicted. I love the playlist overall, because it's saved by a lot of great tunes and suprisingly fun ones to play. But I think we're entitled to be a little miffed that so much of it feels like a cop-out.
Yeah, while for $25 overall I don't have too many complaints it certainly feels pretty shabbily put together. If I were Red Octane, I'd be embarassed to have this be the last GH output I had.
Old 08-02-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mordred
So it was originally intended to be a Bonus song then? Any idea what song got dropped last minute?
Yeah, it made its way into the regular setlist when "I Want Candy" was dropped.
Old 08-02-07, 09:05 PM

This feels like a rush job by Harmonix to fulfill what I'm guessing was the 3rd of a 3 game deal they had with Red Octane. The shame is still on Activision who controls pricing. I can't imagine that the song rights from those that do county fairs cost as much to justify a $50 price tag.
Old 05-20-08, 01:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Many people, myself included, refused to pick up this up for $50, but if you still want it, try Radio Shack. They have it on clearance it for $15, and you can check store availability on their website. I got mine on Sunday. Good luck!