Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Your favorite video game weapons

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-29-07, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ohh, I have too many. There's some fantastically ingenious ones like Perfect Dark's laptop gun and fly-by-wire rocket launcher, or the Cerebral Bore from Turok 2 (Fires a projectile that drills into the victim's skull, and then explodes. Comes complete with dentist-drill sounding penetration and squelching sounds!)

But my favorite weapons are the practical ones. The ones that sound good. That give a punch when you have them. You could play the whole game with them and not tire. In order of brilliance, Goldeneye's remote mines (such fun on multiplayer) Goldeneye's DD44 Dostovei (Had a real BLAM to it) but the crowning glory is way back to Doom 2's double barrel shotgun. There was nothing like it. The rocket launcher and the BFG have always been unwieldy for constant combat, and the plasma gun was only ever good while you had ammo. Shotgun? Packed a helluva punch, you get it early on, takes shells of which you can't ever really run out of, and had meaty sounds and reloading too. I might seem a bit obsessive about it.. but with reason goddammit! You spend hours blasting demons and you'll learn to love your gun!
Old 05-29-07, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Goldeneye: Proximity mines

Crackdown: Harpoon gun

Gears of War: Torque Bow

Turok 2: Cerebral Bore

Armed & Dangerous: weapon that turned the world upside down
Old 05-29-07, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Rocket Launcher in Halo 2 rocks my socks off. Also love the lightsaber in just about any Star Wars game.

Last edited by Kicker_of_Elves; 05-29-07 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-29-07, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In Midnight Club, there was a weapon you could get that when used would blast any cars that were near you. Like an energy blast that would send all the cars flying like they'd just been smacked by a major gust of wind. Such a satisfying weapon.
Old 05-29-07, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Unreal and the Flak Cannon
Old 05-29-07, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I hated the Goldeneye proximity mines. What was really annoying was that one of my friends was obsessed with the game and used to play so much that he had every spawn point memorized. (How stupid that a game doesn't have random respawn, but instead it actually has a pattern.) Besides that point he used to just load up proximity mines at every starting point so you die, respawn, die, respawn. Ugh.
Old 05-29-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unreal Tournament has some of the best weapons. My favorite was the Shock Rifle and the energy orb combo using the alt-fire mode. And I'll take the Redeemer over the BFG anyday. The Flak-Cannon was my second favorite gun. The addition of the alt-fire modes made this game legendary.
Old 05-29-07, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

BFG anyone?

I also loved the DD44 in Goldeneye, and of course the pistol in Halo.

And of course, the Spinfusor in Tribes
Old 05-29-07, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I totally agree with the weapons in Unreal Tournament. I loved the Redeemer in that game. It had a really good minigun as well. The sound effects were spot on. I also tend to like games that have guns with silencers. The sound effects are always good to hear...or rather not hear. Also the spear gun in Crackdown is plain fun. The tranq gun in Deus Ex was well done. That game in fact is one of the best ever created.
Old 05-29-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Rail Gun thingy in F.E.A.R. where you nail people to the walls with aluminum spikes.
Old 05-29-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like Sora's keyblade.

And since I'm currently playing Final Fantasy VI again I've got to give props to the Thief's Knife. Along with a few Merit Awards you could have a whole party of item pilfering fun.
Old 05-29-07, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 872 Likes on 643 Posts
Save the Queen. Ever since Final Fantasy Tactics I look for it in every FF game.

For a shooter, Flak Cannon. Hands down.
Old 05-29-07, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by toolbin
Ohh, I have too many. There's some fantastically ingenious ones like Perfect Dark's laptop gun and fly-by-wire rocket launcher, or the Cerebral Bore from Turok 2 (Fires a projectile that drills into the victim's skull, and then explodes. Comes complete with dentist-drill sounding penetration and squelching sounds!)

But my favorite weapons are the practical ones. The ones that sound good. That give a punch when you have them. You could play the whole game with them and not tire. In order of brilliance, Goldeneye's remote mines (such fun on multiplayer) Goldeneye's DD44 Dostovei (Had a real BLAM to it) but the crowning glory is way back to Doom 2's double barrel shotgun. There was nothing like it. The rocket launcher and the BFG have always been unwieldy for constant combat, and the plasma gun was only ever good while you had ammo. Shotgun? Packed a helluva punch, you get it early on, takes shells of which you can't ever really run out of, and had meaty sounds and reloading too. I might seem a bit obsessive about it.. but with reason goddammit! You spend hours blasting demons and you'll learn to love your gun!
Damn, I came into this thread thinking that nobody was going to pick the Doom 2 shotgun, and it's the first post...

I've never seen a VG shotgun that had a better feel than that one, which is sad, considering the Doom 2 one had maybe four frames of animation. The sound effect, combined with the sheer damage that the gun did at close range, is what really made it feel right.
Old 05-29-07, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Old 05-29-07, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always love the chain thingy the one of the chicks in Soul Caliber had.
Old 05-29-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by edstein
Unreal Tournament has some of the best weapons. My favorite was the Shock Rifle and the energy orb combo using the alt-fire mode.
Man that has to be one of my favorites as well..
Old 05-29-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by tbird2340
Man that has to be one of my favorites as well..
Huh??! tbird pimpin unreal?? Craziness :O

Yes Unreal has always brought the awesome when it comes to weapons. My favorites are the Lightning Gun and the Sniper Rifle. I don't think the lightning gun is going to be in UT3
Old 05-29-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kakihara1
Huh??! tbird pimpin unreal?? Craziness :O

Yes Unreal has always brought the awesome when it comes to weapons. My favorites are the Lightning Gun and the Sniper Rifle. I don't think the lightning gun is going to be in UT3
Oh fo sho! I loved Unreal Tournament.. Where we differ is that you think UC is the best think since sliced bread.. I actually liked UT much better than UC and therefore never really played UC.
Old 05-29-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts
Armed and Dangerous: The shark gun - I love "fire and forget" weapons and that was an awesome example. Let it fly and sit back to enjoy the show.

Unreal Tournament: Sniper rifle - one of the most responsive I've ever seen. I used to get headshot after headshot after headshot.

Battlefield 1942 - My lovely rocket launcher. Nothing better than taking out a plane with that baby.

People have already mentioned other good ones. The Cerebral Bore was definitely a highlight, along with the laptop gun from Perfect Dark. Another great "fire and forget"

Not really a weapon, per se, but hacking the computers to reprogram robots and guns to attack your enemies in Deus Ex and KOTOR never got old for me.

Last edited by Draven; 05-29-07 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-29-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Quake 2's Rail Gun.
Old 05-29-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
My favs are:
The torque bow from gears
Quake 2's rail gun
Doom's BFG
Old 05-29-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts
Depends on the game, but for generality the rocket launcher - many fun times shooting down planes in BF1942 with it.

One weapon that seems to not be in a lot of games that I also like is the flamethrower.
Old 05-29-07, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Goldeneye's DD44
Goldeneye's Proxies and timed mines
Perfect Dark's Laptop gun
Halo's sniper
Halo's Needler (for comedic purposes)
Farcry boobytrap

Worst:
The KLOBB
The Magnum (halo 2)
Old 05-29-07, 12:54 PM
Banned

the anal probe gun in Destroy All Humans

the handheld nuke in Mercenaries

the gravity gun in Half-life 2

the rail gun in FEAR

the chainsaw in Gears of War

Last edited by taffer; 05-29-07 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-29-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No Duke3D love?

Wall mounted mines, pipe bombs, and the shrinker/expander.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.