Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official ** Assassin's Creed ** Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
IGN has their video review up. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet though.
Old 11-13-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone able to find this at Best Buy or Circuit City? I'm deciding whether or not to try it after work.
Old 11-13-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And now IGN has their full review up. Spoilerized due to talk about beginning plot twist.

Spoiler:
Closing Comments
If you play Assassin's Creed for an hour, you will probably think it's a fantastic game. But as Assassin's progresses, its dual storylines and repetitive quests begin to grow tiresome. There are so many great individual elements, but they are lost among the myriad of poor decisions from Ubisoft Montreal. Wasting the big twist on the first five minutes of gameplay is a tremendous mistake, but not nearly as damaging as the ill-conceived assassination investigation quests, which get old fast. The exploration aspects of Assassin's Creed and the combat are both plusses in my book. But those two elements are only a small part of the whole. And most everything else in Assassin's Creed is mediocre.

Another Take
from Jeff Haynes
Let me get this out of the way first: Assassin's Creed is a beautiful game to look at from afar. The visuals are impressive, and the animation is particularly slick and fluid, especially when you're in the middle of free running segments or bouncing over rooftops. Similarly, if you understand swordplay, you'll recognize the flowing nature of parrying and attacks that makes combat rather enjoyable (even if you have to relearn simple things like countering strikes all over again). However, when you get closer and you see the constant amount of pop-in of items and NPCs, repeated render passes, textures that tear and other visual issues, you can't help but feel like some bugs weren't fully eliminated. Perhaps this is because solving elements like the repetitious gameplay elements for assassinations or the buggy visuals were somewhat lost in favor of the bigger picture, which was the set up for an obvious sequel. The future context comes across more as an interruption than a device to help push the plot forward, and its clunky segments, coupled with its abrupt and disappointing ending will probably have fans throwing controllers at screens after they've invested dozens of hours exploring the secrets of Acre, Damascus and Jerusalem. Had the game kept its focus squarely within the time period of the Crusades and only at the end explained its Matrix-like attachments to the real world, the supposed cliff hanger would have been much better. As it stands now, Assassin's Creed is one of those titles that was big on promise, but short in some ways on its overall execution.

IGN Ratings for Assassin's Creed (X360)
Rating Description See Our Glorious Home Theater Setup!
out of 10 click here for ratings guideGet Ratings Information
8.0 Presentation
The historical setting is brilliantly recreated. The story is slow-paced and has some uninspired elements.
8.5 Graphics
The world is beautiful except for the pop-in and framerate issues. The animations are top-notch.
7.5 Sound
Every voice actor is fantastic save one -- the lead actor. The ambient noise could have been a lot stronger.
7.5 Gameplay
Go anywhere and kill anyone. These are Creed's strong points. The game gets bogged down in repetitive tasks too often.
7.0 Lasting Appeal
It could take anywhere from 10-15 hours to complete depending on how thoroughly you explore the world. There's no reason to come back for seconds.
Good OVERALL

Edit: The PS3 version got a 7.5. Apparently it has more slowdown than the 360 version. I guess I won't be getting it for PS3 after all.

Last edited by Noonan; 11-13-07 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-13-07, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts
Well, damn. Maybe I won't pick this up after all. I have plenty of other games to play and if Uncharted gets better reviews, I think I would prefer that one anyway. Strange how the reviews turned from ecstatic to mediocre so quickly
Old 11-13-07, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The reviews still have my interest enough for me to pick it up. I love games that have a lot of exploration (which would explain why Morrowind/Oblivion are my all time favorite games) and it seems like this game does have to offer in that regard.

Last edited by Noonan; 11-13-07 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-13-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now this is what I call major differences in opinion. Some people love it about as much as you can love a game, and others seem to really notice, and point out, what they see as faults. This is very interesting, but I'll more than likely still pick it up.
Old 11-13-07, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noonan4224
The reviews still have my interest enough for me to pick it up. I love games that have a lot of exploration (which would explain why Morrowind/Oblivion are my all time favorite games) and it seems like this game does have to offer in that regard.
I agree. I love games that not only offer, but require lots of exploration. I could probably spend hours just messing with the crowd and running from the guards. But that's just me.
Old 11-13-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by missingtoof
I agree. I love games that not only offer, but require lots of exploration. I could probably spend hours just messing with the crowd and running from the guards. But that's just me.
That's one of the main reasons I'll still likely pick this up. When I play at GTA type game, half the time all I do is try to run away from the cops.
Old 11-13-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by missingtoof
I could probably spend hours just messing with the crowd and running from the guards.
Don't forget killing them. Just be sure to save first.
Old 11-13-07, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
I might not pick this up now based on those reviews. I still have Umbrella Chronicles, and Mass Effect to pick up soon.
Old 11-13-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would probably buy any 3rd person action game that takes place during the Crusades. That's just me though.
Old 11-13-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What's umbrella chronicles. RE game??
Old 11-13-07, 04:44 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I would probably buy any 3rd person action game that takes place during the Crusades. That's just me though.
I'm not sure if I'll get it right away now because of the reviews, but I'll definitely get it at some point for that very reason (time period).

And Gamespot, who usually doesn't give quite as high of scores as IGN, gives it a 9.0 and Editor' Choice.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/acti...opslot;title;1

Last edited by aktick; 11-13-07 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-13-07, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Metacritic.com: Assassin's Creed (360)
Old 11-13-07, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ElementZ
What's umbrella chronicles. RE game??
Yeah, parts of 0, 1, 2, and 3. It's a rail shooter so alot of people don't like it I guess.
Old 11-13-07, 05:23 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by kmac2878
It got a 360!?! That's unprecedented! Even Bioshock only got a 96!
Old 11-13-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, Gamespot with their tough ratings goes higher then IGN? Dammit, why can't they all say it sucks or is awesome so I can have an easy choice. I hate being a sheep.
Old 11-13-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by noonan4224
And now IGN has their full review up. Spoilerized due to talk about beginning plot twist.

Edit: The PS3 version got a 7.5. Apparently it has more slowdown than the 360 version. I guess I won't be getting it for PS3 after all.
According to Gamespot:

There are few differences between the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions. PS3 owners are blessed with a slightly more solid frame rate, although the 360 version features a little more contrast in the lighting, so it's pretty much a wash.
Old 11-13-07, 06:17 PM

Given that I'll be picking this up at Fry's (or pricematching at BB), I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a $39.99 experience.
Old 11-13-07, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
You aren't alone. The setting is what attracted me to this game. I'll still get it, but my plate is full right now with GHIII, Mario, Wiki, and Ratchet.

These companies really need to space out these releases throughout the year.
Old 11-13-07, 07:58 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Damn you, Amazon.com! Damn you to hell!!!!
Old 11-13-07, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I called and ran all over town trying to get this today and couldn't find it anywhere.

gamestop, best buy, circuit city, toys r us, kmart, costco, target, walmart

Nowhere. Now I gotta actually wait till tomorrow.

I guess I could go do some laundry.
Old 11-13-07, 09:28 PM
sk8r1189

Yeh, I usually trust IGN for reviews, but the person who reviewed the game had some pretty lame points. Its a game all about investigation, of course its going to be repetitive, there really isn't a way where it couldn't be! The whole time the idiot gave out spoilers to the game, including what happens in the last hour, only I'm not going to say what because I'm not an idiot. This game got far more 8.5+ ratings then below 8.5s so I will be definitively picking this game up. In my opinion, the IGN review was just a rant by someone who doesn't know what interrogation should be like. He even went as far as to say that you shouldn't be able to sit down and listen in as an interrogation option.... ridiculous.

nickdawgy - hope my above statement helped you out, usually IGN isn't so critical and irresponsible with reviews, I would just disregard IGNs review altogether like I am and read the others.

Also: I tried a Circuit City and they were selling the PS3 version, only because they didn't get the 360 stock in yet, I was like >_

Last edited by sk8r1189; 11-13-07 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-13-07, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I usually dont let reviews affect me when im really interested in a game. If im on the fence about a game, ill check some reviews out and take them into consideration.
Its obvious that Assassins Creed is visually stunning and is trying alot of new and innovative things here and for anyone whos a fan of gaming, they should really check it, especially if your even slightly interested.
Also, with the avalanche of FPS out there that tend to be the front runners in quality games, im ready for a 3rd person adventure thats interesting and compelling as Assassins Creed, bring it on!
Old 11-13-07, 11:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sk8r1189
Yeh, I usually trust IGN for reviews, but the person who reviewed the game had some pretty lame points. Its a game all about investigation, of course its going to be repetitive, there really isn't a way where it couldn't be! The whole time the idiot gave out spoilers to the game, including what happens in the last hour, only I'm not going to say what because I'm not an idiot. This game got far more 8.5+ ratings then below 8.5s so I will be definitively picking this game up. In my opinion, the IGN review was just a rant by someone who doesn't know what interrogation should be like. He even went as far as to say that you shouldn't be able to sit down and listen in as an interrogation option.... ridiculous.
I watched the IGN video review, and he says that Assassin's Creed makes the Top 5 Most Disappointing Games of All Time list. Uhhh... yeah right. AC may have been a disappointment, but to call it one of the most disappointing games of all time is moronic.

Last edited by taffer; 11-13-07 at 11:07 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.