Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official ** Assassin's Creed ** Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Official ** Assassin's Creed ** Thread

You made me remember the animations of the counters, they were one of the greatest things of this game.

And yeah Ravenous, just practice, is not that hard. I'm average player at most and was able to counter with the three weapons.
Old 03-23-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

As part of UbiSoft week, this game is available for the PC from Steam for $9.99, today only.

For that price, I'll try it!
Old 03-23-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked this up for PS3 last week during Gamestop's B2G1 sale on used games. I got it with Burnout Paradise (very fun) and Sonic Chronicles (DS) for about $43 after tax. The way I see it, I got a birthday gift for my son for $20 and paid $10 each for AC and Burnout.

Anyway, I've only put the disk in long enough to download the patch, and it's on my backlog behind Bioshock and Prince of Persia. Hopefully it's worth $10.
Old 03-23-09, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Im still playing this and taking my sweet as time!

I love the game and am just on my 4th Assassin. I like walking around without the map do do every task (I just use it when I have that final one or 2). I have learend lots of counters and have gotten good at it. Whenever traveling I stop at the marching soldiers and fight. I found a base camp with about 50 dudes camped and took em all on. I love this game.
Old 03-23-09, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

I played it last year and played through it several times. I may tackle it again to get the flag achievements. Definitely one of my favorite games on the 360.
Old 03-24-09, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I would like to get more achievements too. One of my favorite games.
Old 06-21-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chess
I picked this up for PS3 last week during Gamestop's B2G1 sale on used games. I got it with Burnout Paradise (very fun) and Sonic Chronicles (DS) for about $43 after tax. The way I see it, I got a birthday gift for my son for $20 and paid $10 each for AC and Burnout.

Anyway, I've only put the disk in long enough to download the patch, and it's on my backlog behind Bioshock and Prince of Persia. Hopefully it's worth $10.
I can't remember the last time a game made me this angry. Between the beggars and being singled out by the mentally challenged in the middle of missions to the fact that my dude only responds occasionally to what I want him to do, I was ready to pull this disc out and set it on fire.

And yeah, I gave it plenty of time. I think I'd just finished my fourth or fifth assassination. I just couldn't take it anymore and put it up for sale.

Beautiful game, and I love the setting/story, but the combat system is complete shit. Still, I probably would have stuck with it, if they'd just let me kill a beggar or a crazy person every now and then.
Old 06-21-09, 04:52 PM

Still, I probably would have stuck with it, if they'd just let me kill a beggar or a crazy person every now and then.
Oh, you most certainly can. That's the only way the game was tolerable to me. Have your hidden blade equipped and when they get close you'll see "Assassinate" light up on the HUD. You can kill them or throw them out of the way with a tackle - either way you lose a bar of sync but you'll feel much better

I always cleared an area of beggars and crazies before an interrogation or assassinate mission.
Old 06-21-09, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

...the fact that my dude only responds occasionally to what I want him to do
Hmm... I didn't have any trouble. You did catch on to the fact that the combat is rhythm-based, right?
Old 06-22-09, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Hmm... I didn't have any trouble. You did catch on to the fact that the combat is rhythm-based, right?
I probably misspoke. Once I'm fighting, I'm fine, as long as I don't have more than 10 or so to fight. Though I do sometimes find myself locked on to the wrong guy, or I'll accidently hit L1 and end up walking casually through an ass-whooping.

My frustration is more about the times that I don't want to fight, but Altier does something random to draw attention to himself. He's too sticky when running and is trying to run up every column he comes within 5 feet of. He's quirky about climbing too. I don't know how many times I said something like "C'mon, there's a fucking handhold RIGHT THERE!" I also love it during the assassinations, when you're blended with the scholars and you get out to go for the kill. You hit X to run to your target and hit him from behind, and you get sucked back into the scholars.

Maybe it's me, but Altier just doesn't seem to want to do what I want him to do about 15% of the time, and it's just grating as hell.

It's a shame, really, because the things the game does well, it does spectacularly well. I'll be running across rooftops thinking "this is brilliant", or I'll get a leaping blade kill and feel like a badass, but its quirkiness irrated me more than any game has in a long time.

Last night I moved on to Fallout 3, which is a much better fit for me.
Old 11-02-12, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm giving this game one more shot. On my 4th Assassination. The repetitivness does bother me but what really bugs me is the guards. The smallest things seem to set them off. Running through the streets or getting on a horse and gallop and that alerts them?! The constant red beeping sound is also crazy annoying.
Old 11-02-12, 04:05 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

If the gameplay bothers you, the only reason to play through is for the storyline (which you can just read up on). You'll find that almost all the things that people complained about in this game were fixed in Assassin's Creed 2 and perfected in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.
Old 11-02-12, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
If the gameplay bothers you, the only reason to play through is for the storyline (which you can just read up on). You'll find that almost all the things that people complained about in this game were fixed in Assassin's Creed 2 and perfected in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.
Well i do like scaling the tall buildings and the sword fighting is pretty cool. Anytime i get bored i'll go on a killing rampage
Old 11-02-12, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Well i do like scaling the tall buildings and the sword fighting is pretty cool. Anytime i get bored i'll go on a killing rampage
You'll be doing plenty of that (along with a whole lot more) in AC2, Bro & Rev.

Seriously, you'll be doing yourself a favor by just quitting the first one and moving on.
Old 11-10-17, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

The Original Assassin's Creed on Xbox One X is a Revelation

<iframe width="620" height="349" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FX2kL0ldnRo" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.xboxachievements.com/new...n---Video.html
Old 11-17-17, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Its funny, but whenever i see those comparison videos they generally make me think "Wow...glad i didnt waste $400 on a upgrade to my existing system that adds only slight differences to games."