Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official ** Assassin's Creed ** Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-07, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
Stealth is not quite as necessary as it is in Thief, but in both games, you can use brute force to get through the game, and in both games, you're going to be much better served if you're sneaky. Assassin's Creed is far more forgiving when you do get into a fight, but at it's core, you're doing your best in this game if you never draw your sword.
That's really quite interesting to me. I began playing the game constantly blended, but found out that all that did was make it go really slow. As long as I don't bump into patrolling guards, I can pretty much sprint through the cities as I please. And in the few instances where they do start attacking me (usually when I am on the rooftops or near a gate), I haven't had any problem dispensing of any number of them. Since only one attacks at a time, it really doesn't matter too much if you are fighting one or 20 opponents.

Am I just "that good" at fighting (doubtful), or is there something else I am missing by not constantly having that "A" button pushed?
Old 01-06-08, 01:01 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
I like the game and all, but this guy makes very compelling points on why the game fails.

Expectations are a bitch...
I just finished the game, and while I really did enjoy it, I agree with every one of the criticisms in that article.

And the ending sucked in two different ways:
Spoiler:
First, the Holy Land ending sucked. The first 90% of the game is a stealth game, and then I get to fight wave after wave after wave of guards, followed by a head on confrontation with the chief bad guy? That's stupid. As pointed out in the Wired article, this game should end with the king of all stealth assassinations.

Second, the modern day ending sucked. Mostly because of its absence. "Hey Desmond, we're leaving the room now. Why don't you wander around reading our e-mails and using your eagle vision to see what the last guy drew on the floor with his blood. And then keep wandering. Feel free to hop back in the Animus if you want. And wander around some more." I understand they're setting the stage for a sequel, but when I beat a game, I think I deserve a little closure.

Anyway, like I said -- despite those criticisms, it was still a good and enjoyable game, and I'll definitely pick up the sequel.
Old 01-06-08, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also about the ending:

Spoiler:
The ending suggests that the next one could take place in a different era with a new character. I truly hope this is not the case. The whole game centers around Altair during the Crusades.
Old 01-06-08, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Earlier in the game, in the modern setting, what is the point of...

Spoiler:
Why do you steal the pen from the professor, do you do anything with it?
Old 01-07-08, 08:27 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ElementZ
Earlier in the game, in the modern setting, what is the point of...

Spoiler:
Why do you steal the pen from the professor, do you do anything with it?
Spoilers for the very end of the game:

Spoiler:
It enables you to log into his computer and read his emails (which in turn allows you to log into the computer in the conference room and read the e-mail there).

So no point, really.
Old 01-07-08, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really liked the ending.

Spoiler:
I assumed Assassin's Creed was pretty much Altair's story.. which received closure. Yeah, all the non-stealth fighting was a poor decision, but his story closed. I figured all the stuff with Desmond was extra side-story.. it's all optional anyway, so I found the ambiguity of his ending quite exciting. They could go a similar route with a sequel, a main story inside the Animus and some optional stuff with Desmond again to culminate in the third game where you get to be Desmond in the future timeline. I would only suggest with that route that all the optional stuff from the first two games are still relatively unimportant for the overall story in Desmond's era and would just be "flavor" for somebody following all three games. Any truly important details from Desmond's parts in the first two games could easily be exposition in the third if needed.
Old 01-09-08, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I really liked the ending.

Spoiler:
I assumed Assassin's Creed was pretty much Altair's story.. which received closure. Yeah, all the non-stealth fighting was a poor decision, but his story closed. I figured all the stuff with Desmond was extra side-story.. it's all optional anyway, so I found the ambiguity of his ending quite exciting. They could go a similar route with a sequel, a main story inside the Animus and some optional stuff with Desmond again to culminate in the third game where you get to be Desmond in the future timeline. I would only suggest with that route that all the optional stuff from the first two games are still relatively unimportant for the overall story in Desmond's era and would just be "flavor" for somebody following all three games. Any truly important details from Desmond's parts in the first two games could easily be exposition in the third if needed.
I wasn't a big fan of the ending, but only because...

Spoiler:
Desmond's story was the only thing keeping me playing through the monotonous generic enemies and same levels and boring story progression in the Altaier's world. When it was over, I had hoped Desmond would have all these powers so I could use em. What I got was a teaser for the next two games (this was planned as a trilogy from the beginning). The next one will be set in Japan from what I've read.

apart from that, I thought the game was just okay. Good in general, but not quite living up to the hype for me.
Old 01-09-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,064 Posts
I picked up the game when it was on sale last week at Best Buy, but it's currently sitting unopened on my shelf.

I don't think I've ever heard such mixed things about a game before. I am really struggling with whether or not I want to open it. I have a bunch of other games that could occupy my time, so I'm not hurting for a new game. But it was also only $40 and I had $25 in RZ certificates, so I didn't really pay much for it.

Maybe someone could help me. It seems like I'll like this game if the missions are fun, even if they are repetitive. For instance, I enjoyed the hell out of Crackdown, even though all I really did was kill people and kick cars on the interstate. I did not enjoy Spider-Man 2, because while the web-swinging was fun and climbing as high as I could (and jumping off) was neat, the stupid missions were way too repetitive.

So knowing that, will I like this game?
Old 01-09-08, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
I picked up the game when it was on sale last week at Best Buy, but it's currently sitting unopened on my shelf.

I don't think I've ever heard such mixed things about a game before. I am really struggling with whether or not I want to open it. I have a bunch of other games that could occupy my time, so I'm not hurting for a new game. But it was also only $40 and I had $25 in RZ certificates, so I didn't really pay much for it.

Maybe someone could help me. It seems like I'll like this game if the missions are fun, even if they are repetitive. For instance, I enjoyed the hell out of Crackdown, even though all I really did was kill people and kick cars on the interstate. I did not enjoy Spider-Man 2, because while the web-swinging was fun and climbing as high as I could (and jumping off) was neat, the stupid missions were way too repetitive.

You got maybe 6 mission types. Each area you have the option of doing about 15 or so missions. So right there you can see you are going to see some repetition. Now factor in that there are 9 or so areas to the game. I found myself really hating most of the mission types, especially the timed ones, but I was still compelled to do each one. It's a fun game at the start but there seems to be little that is different from your first hour of play compared to your last hour of play....other than combat becomes much more fun at the end once you are capable of doing more.

I loved Crackdown and was tempted to put it in last night. AC is a prettier game with more story but at it's heart it too is the same thing over and over.
Old 01-09-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
You got maybe 6 mission types. Each area you have the option of doing about 15 or so missions. So right there you can see you are going to see some repetition. Now factor in that there are 9 or so areas to the game. I found myself really hating most of the mission types, especially the timed ones, but I was still compelled to do each one. It's a fun game at the start but there seems to be little that is different from your first hour of play compared to your last hour of play....other than combat becomes much more fun at the end once you are capable of doing more.

I loved Crackdown and was tempted to put it in last night. AC is a prettier game with more story but at it's heart it too is the same thing over and over.
Hmmm...that's a good perspective. I appreciate the response.

Right now I'm leaning toward taking it back. But when I posed this same question to my guild while playing World of Warcraft, everyone who spoke up said they loved it.

Now granted, these are the same people that will run a 3 hour long dungeon 20 times for a pair of gloves, so I take what they say with a huge grain of salt.
Old 01-09-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The game is supposed to be $39 next week(Starts this Sunday) in Target.
Old 01-09-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmm...that's a good perspective. I appreciate the response.
Glad I could help. Do you belong to any rental programs for games? If so take the game back ASAP. If you are having doubts there is little chance the game will end up being what you hoped it would be at one time. Once you return it then rent it if you can. You'll happier in the end.
Old 01-09-08, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Glad I could help. Do you belong to any rental programs for games? If so take the game back ASAP. If you are having doubts there is little chance the game will end up being what you hoped it would be at one time. Once you return it then rent it if you can. You'll happier in the end.
I need to start up my GameFly again, though it's hard to pay for it when I've got a bunch of games sitting on my shelf either unopened or only half played.

Of course, then I go buy new games. It's a sickness, let me tell ya.
Old 01-09-08, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I need to start up my GameFly again, though it's hard to pay for it when I've got a bunch of games sitting on my shelf either unopened or only half played.

Of course, then I go buy new games. It's a sickness, let me tell ya.
It's not a sickness, it's a plague because I got the same shit.
Old 01-14-08, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,326 Likes on 4,324 Posts

Man, I'm in the exact same boat here. I picked it up at Target today, but I'm not sure I want to open it. It's funny, looking at the player reviews on Amazon, it's like there are the same numer of 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 star ratings. The opinions are all over the place. I wish Gameznflix would send me a copy, but I think they're more likely to send me a Corvette in the mail than a popular 4th quarter game.

Also, is there a general consensus about which platform the game is better on? I got a 360 version because of the achievements, but am rethinking it since my 360 is so damn loud.
Old 01-14-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Is there any difference between the 360 and PS3 versions? Besides the achievements on the 360.
Old 01-14-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I ended up taking it back. It was just too mixed, and between Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Zelda: TP, The Orange Box, Rock Band, GH3 and COD4 sitting on my shelf, I just couldn't justify the cost for a game that sounded like a 7 at best.
Old 01-14-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just couldn't justify the cost for a game that sounded like a 7 at best.
A 7 is being generous after the first area. With the games you have waiting for you there is no need to be in any hurry to play this game. Just make sure you try it down the road after all those other games.
Old 01-14-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
To each their own, I played through it in its entirety and loved it. I finished with around 900/1000 achievement points. Only ones I am missing are the flags and templars but will probably just use a guide for that.
Old 01-21-08, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just an FYI, this game is on sale again at Best Buy this week:

$40 for 360
$30 for PS3 when you use this coupon - http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2498/bestbuy1tp1.jpg
Old 01-21-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ElementZ
To each their own, I played through it in its entirety and loved it. I finished with around 900/1000 achievement points. Only ones I am missing are the flags and templars but will probably just use a guide for that.
I had a lot of fun with it, too. I didn't do the flags or kill all the Templars, but the game was consistently entertaining. I guess I just liked the core gameplay quite a bit. A solid 8/10.
Old 01-21-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm in the middle of Chapter 5 (Memory Slot 5) and I've enjoyed the game a lot. I already read the whole plot, don't check the Assassin's Creed article on Wikipedia if you don't want to read the spoilers, and I think it's a really interesting story.

I like the atmosphere, the story, the history. Playing the game I'm actually getting interesting on reading books about the crusades, or watching movies about that. I'm really that into the game.
Old 01-21-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Raul3
I like the atmosphere, the story, the history. Playing the game I'm actually getting interesting on reading books about the crusades, or watching movies about that. I'm really that into the game.
I was the same way. I read up on the Crusades a lot after playing the game. The game seems to take a lot from Kingdom of Heaven.
Old 01-22-08, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I had a lot of fun with it, too. I didn't do the flags or kill all the Templars, but the game was consistently entertaining. I guess I just liked the core gameplay quite a bit. A solid 8/10.
I would of said the same score if I only played the first level. While the setting of the game and the story are outstanding it's very upsetting that the game's mechanics and characters never really evolve over the the game. The only thing that changes about your character is your fighting skills. You never learn new techniques or skills that help you when not in combat. While you should know everything because of your job in the game I felt that the game suffered a bit because you never evolve into anything other than a more skilled fighter.

I still recommend this game to friends and when it's on sale I tell them it's worth buying but as with so many games these days I don't see myself enjoying it enough to pay full price for it.
Old 01-22-08, 11:21 AM
Suspended

I would of said the same score if I only played the first level. While the setting of the game and the story are outstanding it's very upsetting that the game's mechanics and characters never really evolve over the the game. The only thing that changes about your character is your fighting skills. You never learn new techniques or skills that help you when not in combat. While you should know everything because of your job in the game I felt that the game suffered a bit because you never evolve into anything other than a more skilled fighter.

I still recommend this game to friends and when it's on sale I tell them it's worth buying but as with so many games these days I don't see myself enjoying it enough to pay full price for it.
That's not true. You get the ledge grab and the throwing knives, both of which help you outside of combat.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.