Reload this Page >

Did They Stop Making XBOX Games ?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-16-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought XBOX about 3 years ago. I bought it mostly for Halo.
I have about 15 games.

Since XBOX 360 came out did they stop making XBOX games ?
Old 05-16-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

yea, they're done bro

stick a fork in it :/
Old 05-16-07, 04:17 PM

yeah i think there are inly a couple of games left like madden 08 and ncaa football 08. thats all i know of
Old 05-16-07, 04:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Unlike the Sony, where a healthy amount of games are still being published for PS2, both Microsoft and Nintendo quickly switched gears to publish for the next gen. So no, no new Xbox games to speak of. Still, it's a great time to go back and buy some of the top tier titles you may have missed since you can get them on the cheap.
Old 05-17-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks. That sucks.
Old 05-17-07, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get the 360..... its freaking awesome
Old 05-17-07, 10:31 AM

Although i don't deny the awesomeness that is the next gen systems, many of us refuse to spend over half a grand on video game systems, accessories and games.

On topic, one of the last games released, if I recall correctly, was a lawnmower racing game. Just to show you the sad state of XBOX releases now.
Old 05-17-07, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by WepaMan
Although i don't deny the awesomeness that is the next gen systems, many of us refuse to spend over half a grand on video game systems, accessories and games.

On topic, one of the last games released, if I recall correctly, was a lawnmower racing game. Just to show you the sad state of XBOX releases now.
it makes it hard for developers to have to split up their time to develop games for mulitple systems like that i guess. i remember when the sports games first came out for the 360, they were crap b/c they would be missing alot of the features necessary for the games and such. but as they have more time to focus on the next gen model, they can dedicate more time to it and refine the kinks that next gen gamers want. i had nhl 2k7 for the regular xbox and the xbox 360 and i could tell that the 360 was a better game than the regualr one.

of course, this is just my opinion of things.
Old 05-17-07, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Usually once a replacement comes out, there's a period of 6-12 months where a decent game might still come out for a console. You might argue that Black was the last good game for the Xbox (I don't keep track / don't remember). God of War 2 is certain to be the PS2's last great game.

You've got two choices in video games: buy near the front of the curve and get the new stuff as it comes out, or wait 2+ years then jump in, grabbing a bunch of stuff at a discount. Unfortunately, you can't have it both ways.

Keep in mind if you did buy Xbox about 3 years ago you bought it when it had about a year left in its schedule. The 360 will probably be very reasonably priced holiday 2008 or 2009, when it will be on its 2nd or 3rd price drop and many games will be $25 or less for it.

If I were to define a "sweet spot" for consoles, it would be buying one after the 2nd price drop. By then, you'll have a ton of AAA titles and a year or two of great, upcoming releases.
Old 05-17-07, 04:49 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by The Bus
If I were to define a "sweet spot" for consoles, it would be buying one after the 2nd price drop. By then, you'll have a ton of AAA titles and a year or two of great, upcoming releases.
I'm definitely waiting until at least first price drops from now on after the GC, DS and Wii having terrible post launch droughts. Not much point in paying the premium to be an early adopter and just have the console gather dust.

I got the PS2 and X-box after price drops, and honestly enjoyed them more as they were cheaper and had a ton of great $20 games to pick up so I ended up picking up a lot of games and having a blast.
Old 05-17-07, 05:05 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I'm definitely waiting until at least first price drops from now on after the GC, DS and Wii having terrible post launch droughts. Not much point in paying the premium to be an early adopter and just have the console gather dust.
Old 05-17-07, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WepaMan
That shows the sad state of video gaming as a whole, not just for Xbox.
Old 05-17-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Did someone's dead horse roll over your LP?
Old 05-17-07, 06:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
That shows the sad state of video gaming as a whole, not just for Xbox.
Eh, there have always been casual "non-games" made by no-talent developers. It isn't anything new. The good developers have always made the good games, and the crappy developers with Uwe Boll-like employees always make the shit.
Old 05-17-07, 07:06 PM
Retired

What can I say, the truth bears repeating.
Old 05-17-07, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
A couple small updates to my lists.

Now Playing

Club House Games (DS)- Finished stamp mode on easy to unlock all the games. Still playing it pretty often in bed at nights though.

Super Castlevania IV (Wii VC)- just play occasionally, not a big fan.

Recently Finished

Resident Evil 4 (GC)- played for several hours tonight and finished it. Final save was 22 hours 12 minutes, and I pathetically died 95 times. I enjoyed the game, but not as much as some. I'd probably give it an 8.5 out of ten. Not sure if I'll bother with Assignment Ada or Mercenaries mode or not.

Elite Beat Agents (DS)- beat it on easy, played a little past half way through medium. Just can't get into it, and have no qualms saying this game sucks...IMHO of course.

Big Brain Academy (DS)-got old pretty fast. Got gold medals in practice on every game on easy and normal, and up to a B on the test. Let my girl have it as she likes it a lot more than I do.

Super Mario World (Wii VC)- just as much fun as it was the other gazillion times I've played through it. Finished with all 96 exits

Gears of War: my buddy and I plowed through the campaign on hardcore in co-op in a 13 hour all nighter last weekend. Great game. Doubt I'll fuck with Insane with him though as pissed off as we were getting in places on hardcore.

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime: Got all 100 slimes, and won the tank masters side game, took about 15 1/2 hours. Very enjoyable game, but not a classic. A solid 8/10 game though, and definitely worth the $16.96 it's going for a Circuit City now.

God of War- Finished it in just under 10 hours. Was super pissed that I accidentally switched from Normal to Easy without noticing but I still died a ton since that didn't affect the instant death traps etc. Overall I liked the game, but not as much as some. Probably a 8/10 for me.

On Deck

Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)--picked it up for $14.99 at Target the other week.

Zelda: A Link to the Past (Wii VC)

Super Paper Mario (Wii)- looks to be my first Wii game purchase since Zelda at launch! But holding off until I have more time and at least finish RE4. Probably not until July at the earliest.

Stack of PC games my friend lent me-Half Life 2, Quake IV, some RPGs (Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale 2, Torment), Civilization IV

Shelved for good

Call of Duty (PC)-just not my cup of tea. Too much of a generic FPS for me. Takes an FPS with an extra "something"--like FEAR--to hold my interest.
Gathering dust?
Old 05-17-07, 07:32 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by The Cow
Gathering dust?
The Wii has for the most part, aside from a couple VC games and RE4. Haven't bought an actual Wii game since Zelda.

As the list shows, must of my play time has been on the DS and PS2 lately (aside from SMW 2 months ago, and playing RE4 off and on for a few months before finally finishing it).

Which again, points to why I'll not buy consoles at launch anymore. Better to wait a couple years and jump in when there's a bunch of AAA titles for $20 or less.

Having a blast playing PS2 games I missed out on now that I can pick up dirt cheap.