Search this Thread

Old 05-01-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone try importing your save files from a gba game into diamond/pearl
Old 05-01-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
Don't you have to beat the elite four and get a complete pokedex (not catching all of them, but at least seeing all of them) before you can import your pokemon from other games?
Old 05-01-07, 12:52 PM

yea, I'm sure you're right about that

so i srsly need to SEE them all before it even gives you the option? that sounds pretty time consuming
Old 05-01-07, 01:02 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Just to clarify my other post.

We went to the register knowing they were $34.99... when they rang up at $27.99 we didn't argue.

It's not an advertised price, sorry.
Old 05-01-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
yea, I'm sure you're right about that

so i srsly need to SEE them all before it even gives you the option? that sounds pretty time consuming
You don't necessarily have to see them in the wild, you can see them while battling other trainers in the game. I think I heard that you see most if not all of the pokemon just going through the game normally.
Old 05-01-07, 01:20 PM

Yea, I'm hoping it's not as time consuming as that...

I picked up a used copy of Green Leaf today. Thankfully, the kid before me completed the game and had a very impressive line up. I wanted to transistion them to my game, but unfortunately I just got to the 3rd gym badge
Old 05-01-07, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Abra has evolved to whatever the next creation is and at level 20, but he doesn't really do what I tell him to. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, anyone else have this problem and is the solution just to get more badges? I only have 1 just because Ive been leveling up.
Old 05-01-07, 08:59 PM

This is my first Pokemon game. I read a bit at work in the players guide, but I didn't want to read too much and spoil stuff. It's all new to me. I did have a couple questions I wasn't clear on.

Is it better to have a female? Are they the ones that lay the eggs and is that how you breed? Or can you breed having a male too? I thought I read in an earlier post that someone got a female Chimchar and that it's rare...why is it rare?

I read that it's sometimes better to not evolve and to cancel it. It looked like you could get more or different attacks if you choose to not evolve. It wasn't clear in the book for a newcomer. I have a Chimchar and I'd like to level her up high before she evolves. If you do evolve her, can she still get the same attacks as when she is at her second evolution?

I guess I'm scared to get too far in the adventure if I can't go back and change stuff that I messed up.

Last edited by Woof Woof; 05-01-07 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-01-07, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
My Abra has evolved to whatever the next creation is and at level 20, but he doesn't really do what I tell him to. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, anyone else have this problem and is the solution just to get more badges? I only have 1 just because Ive been leveling up.
Yeah, you need to keep getting badges. The next one will give you control up to level 30.
Old 05-01-07, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
Yeah, you need to keep getting badges. The next one will give you control up to level 30.
Thanks...Yeah, I just got the 2nd gym and figured it out. Oddly enough, I got the thing to use confusion 2 times and it helped win the badge.

Originally Posted by Woof Woof
a female Chimchar and that it's rare...why is it rare?

I read that it's sometimes better to not evolve and to cancel it. It looked like you could get more or different attacks if you choose to not evolve. It wasn't clear in the book for a newcomer. I have a Chimchar and I'd like to level her up high before she evolves. If you do evolve her, can she still get the same attacks as when she is at her second evolution?

I guess I'm scared to get too far in the adventure if I can't go back and change stuff that I messed up.
The thing about evolving is as they evolve higher it takes them longer to learn certain moves. So as a lesser evolved Pokemon, it might learn a better move faster then it would once it has reached another stage of evolution. But once a pokemon learns a move it keeps it till you take it away.
Old 05-01-07, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My 4 1/2 year old daughter wants this game, is she too young? She's very mature for her age, but she still can't read so would she even be able to play?
Old 05-02-07, 07:29 AM

Luxio is a good example of a pokemon that learns abilities faster in his de-evolved forms. The only real motivation to allow a pokemon to evolve is to get their stat bonuses.
Old 05-02-07, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeboo835
My 4 1/2 year old daughter wants this game, is she too young? She's very mature for her age, but she still can't read so would she even be able to play?
I think there is way too much reading for her age. I think 6 is the about the age when my son could actually start to enjoy playing.
Old 05-02-07, 07:49 AM

I think a 4 year old could easily play the game, but there is so much text involved that, unless you are helping them every step of the way, they are going to be habitually stuck
Old 05-02-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Luxio is a good example of a pokemon that learns abilities faster in his de-evolved forms. The only real motivation to allow a pokemon to evolve is to get their stat bonuses.
Yeah, but then you have the obvious quandry of the benefit of the stat bonuses versus waiting longer for attacks. I let my Shinx evolve into Luxio a couple of levels late... or right after he learned Spark.

There's also other things to consider, as some pokemon can learn moves in their evolved form that they can't learn in their de-evolved forms.
Old 05-02-07, 09:26 AM

Generally, I think it rarely matters either way. The only way to REALLY mess up your pokemon is to make them forget a move that you really didn't want to. Even in that case, you can just catch another one and try again, or get an HM that has the same move
Old 05-02-07, 12:13 PM
Cool New Member

How do I get the to the third gym leader? I'm stuck......
Old 05-02-07, 12:24 PM

what city are you in?

The 3rd gym leader I faught was in Veilstone. You have to beat 4 other karate dudes first
Old 05-02-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a guy in one of the towns in this game who can delete moves from your Pokemon? I wasn't thinking and taught my main guy a HM and now can't unlearn it. I know in all previous games there was a move deleter somewhere.
Old 05-02-07, 12:34 PM
Cool New Member

what city are you in?

The 3rd gym leader I faught was in Veilstone. You have to beat 4 other karate dudes first
I haven't been to Veilstone yet... I was in a town (Heart-something) and I saw the gym leader, and she told me I had to gain strength before she'd fight me, and took off........
Old 05-02-07, 01:01 PM

yea, you don't fight that lady for a while

as for the deleter guy, i bought the strat guide, but I haven't seen anything like that in here at all. I hope you're right
Old 05-02-07, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After a quick gamefaqs search, there's a move deleter, that you can meet once you're done with (I believe) your 4th badge.
Old 05-02-07, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Woof Woof
Is it better to have a female? Are they the ones that lay the eggs and is that how you breed? Or can you breed having a male too? I thought I read in an earlier post that someone got a female Chimchar and that it's rare...why is it rare?

Female pokemons are usually preferable for a few reasons. It allows you to breed more pokemon of that species. There are also certain moves (egg moves) that a pokemon can only learn through breeding. For example, the only way a Chimchar can learn Thunderpunch is when it breeds with a male that already knows Thunderpunch. The resulting offspring would be a Chimchar knowing Thunderpunch starting at level 1. Female pokemons also allow you to try to breed for specific natures and IV stats. It is more preferable than catching wild pokemon since trained pokemon have better stats. Female pokemon are also more rare since there are more male pokemons in the game (that's just the way the game is set up).

Whether to evolve or not is up to you. Usually you should just let it evolve to get the higher stats right away. There's instances you wouldn't want to do this. For example, Chimchar learns the move Nasty Plot at level 23. Its evolved forms Monferno and Infernape cannot learn this move.

With all that being said, the above techniques are used only if you were to battle competitively on WiFi. For the casual players, you can easily beat the game by playing through it normally.
Old 05-02-07, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Cshot
Whether to evolve or not is up to you. Usually you should just let it evolve to get the higher stats right away. There's instances you wouldn't want to do this. For example, Chimchar learns the move Nasty Plot at level 23. Its evolved forms Monferno and Infernape cannot learn this move.
Really. King Kong already evolved into a monferno. No nasty plot for baron. I would make a nasty joke but I'm bigger than.
Old 05-02-07, 10:16 PM

Whoops, what I meant to say is if you wanted Nasty Plot as part of your moveset then you shouldn't evolve it. I'm not recommending one way or another whether you should teach Chimchar this move, but you get my drift.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.