Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Wii thread - part V

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So...I promised my son a Wii for bringing home a 3.2 or better this school year. Looked around and the thing is still hard to find Just got ripped at wally world for a bundle.

Wii
3 games
component cable
BS Tax
Stupid shipping

All this amounts to me being crushed

Anyway, looking forward to the system

Hopefully by the time Christmas comes around Zelda will be a greatest hits title for 20 or something...I can hope ...
Old 05-25-07, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Deadpool
Hopefully by the time Christmas comes around Zelda will be a greatest hits title for 20 or something...I can hope ...
If you mean Christmas '08 then maybe.
Old 05-25-07, 09:10 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
My local GameStops have had them in stock regularly for the past few weeks, and I even saw a stack at WalMart on Tuesday, but when I went back Thursday they were all gone.
Old 05-25-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
If you mean Christmas '08 then maybe.
Probably not even then.

Price drops like last-gen got in the past few years simply don't happen on new-gen games.

That only happens in the last year or two of the console's lifespan...mainly due to the massive numbers of games being sold and the glut of available titles at the end of a console's life.
Old 05-25-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Actually it is just Nintendo. Nintendo is smart. They know people buy their systems for their games, so why drop the prices? They will still sell at full price years into the console's life.
Old 05-25-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw Wiis in the wild for only my 2nd time last night. At a Walmart at 10pm. I've not been hitting many Gamestops or EB Games lately though for anything.
Old 05-25-07, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by shumway
I saw Wiis in the wild for only my 2nd time last night. At a Walmart at 10pm. I've not been hitting many Gamestops or EB Games lately though for anything.
Hey shumway, I added you to my Wii Friends list a few weeks ago and you're still grey. My Wii code is below. (Oh, and darkside, I added you as well.)
Old 05-25-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cool, I'll add you soon, I promise, I just never get to play anymore If I do, it's mainly DS.
Old 05-25-07, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by shumway
Cool, I'll add you soon, I promise, I just never get to play anymore If I do, it's mainly DS.
No problem. For me the Wii is still new, and I'm enjoying SPM more than I should be... and come to think of it, I haven't even taken Zelda out of the case.
Old 05-25-07, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A trailer for you:
http://www.ffccnews.jp/2007/05/85.html
Old 05-26-07, 12:01 PM

Rayman Rabbids 2

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rabbids/ray...?autoplay=true

The Rabbids strike again!

Those mischievous bunnies are back! In a hilarious sequel that is guaranteed to be even crazier and funnier than the first and with even more insane games to play. Let the party begin!

After having invaded the world of Rayman, the insane Rabbids have a new objective: THE INVASION OF PLANET EARTH! They have established their base in a nearby shopping mall and have just begun training for their nastiest scheme yet! As part of their training, the Rabbids must carry out several missions around the globe to prepare themselves for World Domination.

Rayman will now attempt to foil their plans by infiltrating their camp as one of them and hopefully stop this insanity!

Developed by Ubisoft, the game is scheduled for fall 2007.
Old 05-26-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Amazon's DOTD is the official Wii component cables for $14.99. Great deal for anyone who doesn't have them yet. Even if you don't have a TV with component inputs, you will in the future, so it might be wise to pick them up now or in the near future, in case they stop manufacturing them at some point (hello GC component cables).

Brag: I still can't believe someone paid me $140 + overnight shipping on launch day for my first set of component cables. I just waited patiently and bought another set a few days later when they came in stock again. I wasn't planning on doing anything like that when I bought the cables, but when I saw the prices on eBay during those first few days, I couldn't resist. I just set it with a $140 BIN and it sold in about 20 minutes. I didn't want to risk the market drying up by the end of an auction, so that was perfect.
Old 05-26-07, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Amazon's DOTD is the official Wii component cables for $14.99. Great deal for anyone who doesn't have them yet. Even if you don't have a TV with component inputs, you will in the future, so it might be wise to pick them up now or in the near future, in case they stop manufacturing them at some point (hello GC component cables).
Man, just bought a set at BB for $34 the other day. Guess I'll order it and then take the other's back when they get here.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-26-07, 01:31 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, I was about to buy the Mad Catz version of these for $20 and now I have a better set for less money. Thanks for the heads up!

Now, as a new Wii owner with only Wii Sports can you tell me if I should get Zelda or SPM first. Also, what do I need to play VC games. I have the wireless connector coming from Amazon so I am getting excited about the possibilities.
Old 05-26-07, 01:49 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by griffidm
Now, as a new Wii owner with only Wii Sports can you tell me if I should get Zelda or SPM first. Also, what do I need to play VC games. I have the wireless connector coming from Amazon so I am getting excited about the possibilities.
Haven't played SPM, so I can't give a "fair" assessment. But still I'd go with Zelda if you like the series as it's probably the best (or 2nd at worst) in the series and lasts 40+ hours. However, I'm dying to get time and money to pick up SPM, so you can't go wrong either way.

All you need for virtual console games is to get your Wii up and running online, then log into the Wii store and buy some points with a credit card (or pick up a Wii points card in stores if you can find them) and then buy and download whatever you want.

Prices are generally NES- $5; TX16-$6; SNES/Genesis- $8; N64- $10. A bit high for me, so it's limited what I've bought, but some thing the pricing is fine.
Old 05-26-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh H
All you need for virtual console games is to get your Wii up and running online, then log into the Wii store and buy some points with a credit card (or pick up a Wii points card in stores if you can find them) and then buy and download whatever you want.
Addtionally you'll need a classic controller or gamecube controller if you want to play SNES/Genesis/N64 games (not sure about TG16). You can use the Wii remote for NES games, though.
Old 05-26-07, 02:34 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I need the classic controller cause there are a few SNES and Genesis games I NEED to play and relive the days of yore. Now I just need the postman to bring my Wi-Fi connector. And Josh H, I think I will take your advice on Zelda. It does look cool.
Old 05-26-07, 02:51 PM
Retired

Yep, forgot the controller issue.

Pick up a classic controller if you plan on playing many 2D games or ANY SNES games. The tiny d-pad on the GC controller sucks for 2D games, and the button layout is nearly impossible with many SNES games.
Old 05-26-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just an FYI. This months Nintendo Power had a write up on upcoming sports titles this year. It looks like Madden 08 and Fifa 08 will both have online play.
Old 05-26-07, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh H
Haven't played SPM, so I can't give a "fair" assessment. But still I'd go with Zelda if you like the series as it's probably the best (or 2nd at worst) in the series and lasts 40+ hours. However, I'm dying to get time and money to pick up SPM, so you can't go wrong either way.
I'd say the opposite. I think it is easily the worst of the 3D Zeldas, and is also behind LTTP, Minish Cap, and Oracle of Ages. Everything outside of the dungeons took a serious drop in quality from the previous 3D games, and the last few dungeons are very poor compared to the what I'd expect from Zelda games.
Old 05-26-07, 05:05 PM
Retired

I'd say the opposite. I think it is easily the worst of the 3D Zeldas, and is also behind LTTP, Minish Cap, and Oracle of Ages. Everything outside of the dungeons took a serious drop in quality from the previous 3D games, and the last few dungeons are very poor compared to the what I'd expect from Zelda games.
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I liked this one a lot as aside from the light bugs before the first 3 dungeosn and the statue hunt before the sky temple there really wasn't all that much to do between dungeons.

Not a lot of pointless fetch quests and NPC interaction, just a bunch of awesome dungeons and bosses with some mostly fun stuff in between.

Ocarina of Time is the only one I might put above it, with Link to the Past a bit behind both. Didn't really care much for the NES ones, and the portable ones were all very good but not quite on par with the console games IMO.
Old 05-27-07, 09:12 AM

Ahh hell I missed them there back to $30 anyone order two and sell me for a set for cost + ship?
Old 05-27-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I must've played a different game, as I thought every dungeon was brilliant...and I had plenty of fun searching for heart pieces and golden bugs. I especially like the hints they gave for the heart pieces, where you were a bit more on your own in previous Zeldas. I didn't think it lacked for side quests either.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the wolf-only parts...especially the bug hunts...and like Josh, the statue bits didn't do a thing for me...but there were TONS of things to do in TP.

I'd put it right on par with Ocarina as a game with Wii controls putting it over the top.

Thus far, it's had the best executed Wii controls of any game...by far. All of the pointing and swinging felt very natural to me, and even if you only viewed it as a tech demo, it offers a lot of reassurance about the potential of the Wii. Highly recommended.

Super Paper Mario is brilliant as well...my favorite game so far this year.
Old 05-27-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I really liked TP, but have to admit I think Wind Waker was the better Cube era Zelda.

My least favorite Zelda is Majora's Mask. The time travel thing killed my enjoyment.
Old 05-27-07, 10:30 AM
Retired

Yeah, MM is my least favorite post NES Zelda for sure. I like Wind Waker a lot, but definitely not as much as Twilight Princess if for no other reason than the tedious sailing in the beginning before you get the song, and the tedious triforce fetch quest.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.