Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Angry Video Game Nerd

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Video Game Nerd

Hey, didn't see this posted in the forums (there is a thread from October that was in Other Talk).

However, I was wondering if anyone else is a fan of the Angry Video Game Nerd. To me he's the funniest viral video person out there, and the increased popularity has only pleased me more. His stuff went from YouTube only to getting exclusives on ScrewAttack.com and Gametrailers.com, and he just did a "Ghostbusters Trilogy" where he ran the NES games and others into the ground. His riff on the original game brought back baaaaad memories of that one. He's also done the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game (underwater bombs!), about every LJN game based on a movie (Roger Rabbit, Back to the Future, Karate Kid, etc...Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street got a hilarious two-parter around Halloween), and then some non-NES stuff like Rocky for the Sega Master System and the hil-freakin-arious 20-minute tirade against Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III.

Basically I think he's like a cross between Napoleon Dynamite and Denis Leary. Thoughts?
Old 04-11-07, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly, I thought that it was one of the most obnoxious things I've seen on the internet.. and that's saying a lot as I've been through All Your Base, Serenity, Snakes on a Plane, Leroy Jenkins, etc., etc.
Old 04-11-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I enjoy watching his reviews. The Christmas special he did was fantastic.
Old 04-11-07, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
I'm with Pixy. I've seen a couple of the guy's videos and even when he occasionally stumbles on something pretty funny to comment on, he ruins the moment by saying something like 'What the fucking shit hole is this fucking bitch fucker doing, the stupid fuck shit.' Seriously, I've heard kids under the age of 10 swear with less awkwardness. The dude's painful to listen to.
Old 04-11-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I'm with Pixy. I've seen a couple of the guy's videos and even when he occasionally stumbles on something pretty funny to comment on, he ruins the moment by saying something like 'What the fucking shit hole is this fucking bitch fucker doing, the stupid fuck shit.' Seriously, I've heard kids under the age of 10 swear with less awkwardness. The dude's painful to listen to.
Yeah, the profanity is awkward and gets old, but it only supports his nerdy, awkard style. He's alright if I'm in the mood for one of his geeky rants...
Old 04-11-07, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by maxfisher
100%

It would actually be funny if he dropped 90% of the profanity. As it stands right now it is just obnoxious and annoying.
Old 04-11-07, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
100%

It would actually be funny if he dropped 90% of the profanity. As it stands right now it is just obnoxious and annoying.
I'm in complete agreement. He's got some funny stuff and then ruins it by throwing in lots of poorly worded cursing.
Old 04-11-07, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDude
I'm in complete agreement. He's got some funny stuff and then ruins it by throwing in lots of poorly worded cursing.
To keep the quote streak alive, I too agree that the lame--o cussing ruins the reviews. It wouldn't be half bad if he dropped that aspect.
Old 04-11-07, 10:06 PM
Banned

Count me in with the people who can't stand the excessive swearing. It would be funny if I was a teenager, but I grew out of the "swearing is cool" stage a long time ago. I watched two of his videos and that was more than enough. The only person who can excessively swear and not look like a retarded idiot is Samuel L Jackson.
Old 04-11-07, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by taffer
Count me in with the people who can't stand the excessive swearing. It would be funny if I was a teenager, but I grew out of the "swearing is cool" stage a long time ago. I watched two of his videos and that was more than enough. The only person who can excessively swear and not look like a retarded idiot is Samuel L Jackson.
Yeah, the cussing always feels forced and staged. I like his interactions/reactions to the streaming game footage, hearing his frustration with missing a jump or falling to a cheap death. Some funny observations here and there, but man, the weak swearing really takes his act down a few notches.

EDIT: I am speaking of the nerd, of course, not Sam "The Man" Jackson.
Old 04-12-07, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought they were all pretty entertaining and actually liked the overuse of cursing, I thought it added to his frustrated rants.
Old 04-12-07, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I recently watched them all (again).
Honestly, he needs better editing. The 14 minute clips are slow-paced and can be cut down to 5 easy. It's a chore watching them to get to the funny parts.
Some are pure genious. "Chronologically Confused about Movie and Video Game Sequels" is brilliant.
Old 04-12-07, 10:30 AM

The excessive swearing stopped bothering me after a while. While I could live without it, it's part of his schtick and he probably thinks he wouldn't be able to live up to the "Angry Nerd" part of his title without it. I think he's pretty funny--I loved the part where he was trying to jump over that hole in the TMNT game.
Old 04-12-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Link?
Old 04-12-07, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V
Link?
http://cinemassacre.com/Movies/Nes_Nerd_videos.html

I especially like the TMNT video. That game drove me nuts when I was a kid.
Old 04-12-07, 11:14 AM
Suspended

The Ghostbusters ones are good.
Old 04-12-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He's a naturally funny guy who needs to lay off some of the profanity if he wants to be consistently funny.
Old 04-12-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
The only thing that made me laugh were the old home-movies he showed of himself as a kid, throwing a tantrum playing video games and how in 20 years, he really hasn't changed much.
Old 04-12-07, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoy his videos, but then again I'm easily amused.
Old 04-12-07, 04:09 PM

Have any of you actually played these atrocities? Then you'd know why the cursing is warranted.

#@$# TMNT!
Old 04-12-07, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked his review of Karate Kid for the NES. Most of his reviews just annoy the hell out of me because of the non-stop profanity; he's actually pretty funny when every word out of his mouth isn't a swear.
Old 04-12-07, 07:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mmconhea
Honestly, he needs better editing. The 14 minute clips are slow-paced and can be cut down to 5 easy.
Maybe he is related to Hideo Kojima.

Originally Posted by jonjj7
I especially like the TMNT video. That game drove me nuts when I was a kid.
Yeah that game drove me insane too. I never could beat it. I agree with the nerd when he says that falling in the water should not kill you since you are a turtle. The really funny thing is the level before that level is a swimming level, but then the next level if you fall in water you die.