Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

wii play is highly underrated (and question)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 03-24-07, 09:18 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had read lukewarm reviews of this game, but it's pure bliss.

All of these mini games are fantastic. I've heard the term "mini game" hell thrown around, but really these are extremely well done games.

So my question: Odd Mii Out, who am I looking for here?
Old 03-24-07, 09:24 AM

Yes, I agree - great game. In Odd Mii Out, everyone in the crowd is looking in one direction and the odd mii's are looking in the opposite direction.
Old 03-24-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My two favorites after the initial playing period has worn off are
Billiards and Find Mii
I got a Platinum Medal yesterday at Billiards
they are all fun but the table tennis needed more than a 100 point game
and the fishing game is kind of addictive but its a little quirky controlwise
otherwise a great showcase for the Wiis promise
Old 03-24-07, 12:19 PM

I haven't had too much success with the Find Mii game - the highest I have gone so far is only level 17. I think the reason is that I don't have enough custom-made Mii's, and all the system generated ones seem to look the same. Either that, or I just suck. My favorites are the Shooting Range and Laser Hockey games.
Old 03-24-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The games are well done, yes. But the lack of options really hurts. Billiards plays fine but you can't even play standard games of 8 or 9 ball. You can't do a death match in the tank game. You can't adjust the play-to score in air hockey or ping pong or set it with a time limit. Cow racing is the same exact thing every time.
Old 03-24-07, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DarthMarino
The games are well done, yes. But the lack of options really hurts. Billiards plays fine but you can't even play standard games of 8 or 9 ball. You can't do a death match in the tank game. You can't adjust the play-to score in air hockey or ping pong or set it with a time limit. Cow racing is the same exact thing every time.
The funny part is ive done a lot of porgramming and most of those things you named wouldnt be very difficult to integrate. It was just half assed
Old 03-24-07, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Jake77444
The funny part is ive done a lot of porgramming and most of those things you named wouldnt be very difficult to integrate. It was just half assed
Since you've done a lot of programming you are well aware that not everything is a technical issue. And it isn't necessarily an issue of doing something half-assed.
Old 03-26-07, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really like tanks, pong, table tennis, and pool
Old 03-26-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I wish more than 2 could play, so in that respect its not as good as wii sports.

i do like the fact that they make good use of your aresenal of Mii's.

Cow racing is one of the faves in our house, billiards is pretty solid, and Mii finder is not bad as well.
Old 03-26-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sracer
Since you've done a lot of programming you are well aware that not everything is a technical issue. And it isn't necessarily an issue of doing something half-assed.
So what was it an issue of? They really thought by making every game as limited as possible they were releasing a better product? Most of these were demos at last years E3 so it wasn't neccessary at that time to make options menus for them. However, when putting these together in a compilation to sell on the market you'd expect them to at least add some simple options to each one to make them better. It's an issue of laziness or just not caring about maximizing the products potential.
Old 03-26-07, 05:29 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by DarthMarino
So what was it an issue of? They really thought by making every game as limited as possible they were releasing a better product? Most of these were demos at last years E3 so it wasn't neccessary at that time to make options menus for them. However, when putting these together in a compilation to sell on the market you'd expect them to at least add some simple options to each one to make them better. It's an issue of laziness or just not caring about maximizing the products potential.
It's just not caring.

They were just meant to be tech demos. They were fairly well received so they decided to pack it with a Remote for an extra $10 as a way to make some easy cash.

That's not a bash of them, as it's a $10 game so they shouldn't really be expected to touch up the games and add options etc. It's just a $10 tech demo that you get with a controller.

If they were selling it by itself for $30-50 or something then I think people would have more cause to bitch about it being half assed.
Old 03-26-07, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
I wish more than 2 could play, so in that respect its not as good as wii sports.
Wii Play doesn't support multiplayer?
Old 03-26-07, 09:53 PM
Retired

Only for 2 players at a time. He was saying he wished 3 or 4 could play like in Wiisports.
Old 03-26-07, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Only for 2 players at a time. He was saying he wished 3 or 4 could play like in Wiisports.
D'oh! The "more than 2" must have confused me.

I have been considering getting a Wii in the coming months (or whenever it is regularly available). As of now, Wii Sports, Wii Play and ExciteTruck are the only games that really catch my eye. I would also get some of the VC games and use the Cube BC. I'm interested in Paper Mario, but the new Metroid and Mario Galaxy aren't really doing it for me (haven't been a fan of the 3D titles of these franchises). I'm a bit torn.

This was probably better suited for the Wii thread, but there you go.