DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   wii play is highly underrated (and question) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/496139-wii-play-highly-underrated-question.html)

Gallant Pig 03-24-07 09:18 AM

wii play is highly underrated (and question)
 
I had read lukewarm reviews of this game, but it's pure bliss.

All of these mini games are fantastic. I've heard the term "mini game" hell thrown around, but really these are extremely well done games.

So my question: Odd Mii Out, who am I looking for here?

dvdhook 03-24-07 09:24 AM

Yes, I agree - great game. In Odd Mii Out, everyone in the crowd is looking in one direction and the odd mii's are looking in the opposite direction.

Apocrypha 03-24-07 11:55 AM

My two favorites after the initial playing period has worn off are
Billiards and Find Mii
I got a Platinum Medal yesterday at Billiards
they are all fun but the table tennis needed more than a 100 point game
and the fishing game is kind of addictive but its a little quirky controlwise
otherwise a great showcase for the Wiis promise

dvdhook 03-24-07 12:19 PM

I haven't had too much success with the Find Mii game - the highest I have gone so far is only level 17. I think the reason is that I don't have enough custom-made Mii's, and all the system generated ones seem to look the same. Either that, or I just suck. My favorites are the Shooting Range and Laser Hockey games.

DarthMarino 03-24-07 12:30 PM

The games are well done, yes. But the lack of options really hurts. Billiards plays fine but you can't even play standard games of 8 or 9 ball. You can't do a death match in the tank game. You can't adjust the play-to score in air hockey or ping pong or set it with a time limit. Cow racing is the same exact thing every time.

Jake77444 03-24-07 04:58 PM


Originally Posted by DarthMarino
The games are well done, yes. But the lack of options really hurts. Billiards plays fine but you can't even play standard games of 8 or 9 ball. You can't do a death match in the tank game. You can't adjust the play-to score in air hockey or ping pong or set it with a time limit. Cow racing is the same exact thing every time.

The funny part is ive done a lot of porgramming and most of those things you named wouldnt be very difficult to integrate. It was just half assed

sracer 03-24-07 06:48 PM


Originally Posted by Jake77444
The funny part is ive done a lot of porgramming and most of those things you named wouldnt be very difficult to integrate. It was just half assed

Since you've done a lot of programming you are well aware that not everything is a technical issue. And it isn't necessarily an issue of doing something half-assed.

KurrptSenate 03-26-07 08:43 AM

I really like tanks, pong, table tennis, and pool

mphtrilogy 03-26-07 10:19 AM

I wish more than 2 could play, so in that respect its not as good as wii sports.

i do like the fact that they make good use of your aresenal of Mii's.

Cow racing is one of the faves in our house, billiards is pretty solid, and Mii finder is not bad as well.

DarthMarino 03-26-07 04:28 PM


Originally Posted by sracer
Since you've done a lot of programming you are well aware that not everything is a technical issue. And it isn't necessarily an issue of doing something half-assed.

So what was it an issue of? They really thought by making every game as limited as possible they were releasing a better product? Most of these were demos at last years E3 so it wasn't neccessary at that time to make options menus for them. However, when putting these together in a compilation to sell on the market you'd expect them to at least add some simple options to each one to make them better. It's an issue of laziness or just not caring about maximizing the products potential.

Josh H 03-26-07 05:29 PM


Originally Posted by DarthMarino
So what was it an issue of? They really thought by making every game as limited as possible they were releasing a better product? Most of these were demos at last years E3 so it wasn't neccessary at that time to make options menus for them. However, when putting these together in a compilation to sell on the market you'd expect them to at least add some simple options to each one to make them better. It's an issue of laziness or just not caring about maximizing the products potential.

It's just not caring.

They were just meant to be tech demos. They were fairly well received so they decided to pack it with a Remote for an extra $10 as a way to make some easy cash.

That's not a bash of them, as it's a $10 game so they shouldn't really be expected to touch up the games and add options etc. It's just a $10 tech demo that you get with a controller.

If they were selling it by itself for $30-50 or something then I think people would have more cause to bitch about it being half assed.

lawyer goodwill 03-26-07 06:05 PM


Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
I wish more than 2 could play, so in that respect its not as good as wii sports.

Wii Play doesn't support multiplayer?

Josh H 03-26-07 09:53 PM

Only for 2 players at a time. He was saying he wished 3 or 4 could play like in Wiisports.

lawyer goodwill 03-26-07 10:49 PM


Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Only for 2 players at a time. He was saying he wished 3 or 4 could play like in Wiisports.

D'oh! The "more than 2" must have confused me. :)

I have been considering getting a Wii in the coming months (or whenever it is regularly available). As of now, Wii Sports, Wii Play and ExciteTruck are the only games that really catch my eye. I would also get some of the VC games and use the Cube BC. I'm interested in Paper Mario, but the new Metroid and Mario Galaxy aren't really doing it for me (haven't been a fan of the 3D titles of these franchises). I'm a bit torn.

This was probably better suited for the Wii thread, but there you go. :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.