Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox Live Connection Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xbox Live Connection Problem

Okay, I'm at the end of my rope and need some help.

I will give all the details just so you have them. I have been on Xbox Live since 2003 using SBC/AT&T DSL. I currently have their "Pro" package, which is 3MB down, 512K up. I used to have a 2Wire Wireless gateway which worked fine. I, however, have always experienced periodic drop-outs. Seems like every few hours the signal goes away for 5-10 seconds. This obviously sucks in Halo.

So, I have now been through three DSL modems. I currently have http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1126591859340 -- which is the most simple DSL modem you can get with no firewall or anything.

I added a D-Link DGL-4300 with Gamefuel because every time my wife gets on the internet I get horrific lag and disconnects. I thought the Gamefuel feature would solve that problem, and for the most part it does. She can surf the net at a slow speed and my XBL is fine. I do not seem to get disconnected due to her browsing. If I disable gamefuel, I immediately get kicked within moments of her firing up the internet.

I have done all the port forwarding suggested and the D-Link even has special Xbox Live settings which I use.

I have called D-Link and they had me manually set up my connection in my 360 to eliminate any problems there.

The problem at this point is that I am currently getting disconnected about every 3-4 hours of Xbox Live. The last two nights I haven't been able to play for more than 1 hour before getting disconnected. After I lose connection, I can usually sign back in to XBL and get disconnected again within 1 minute. Subsequent attempts to sign in result in almost immediate disconnects.

In the past I was able to power cycle the router and get a few more hours of play time, but I am sick of that.

Last night I got frustrated and plugged the 360 directly into the DSL modem. I was fine for about 45 minutes before the usual disconnect.

So, I believe the problem is with the DSL modem. I have had this problem with at least 2 different DSL modems. Does DSL suck? Do I need a speed increase? I can upgrade to 6MB down/768 up for an additional $15/month, but would rather not, because I think it's overkill.

PLEASE HELP! I'M GOING CRAZY!
Old 03-23-07, 01:07 PM

I had issues with my SBC DSL dropping a year or so back. Seemed every other day or so I'd need to reboot my router, etc to get the connection back up.
Long story short, it was my DSL connection. Seems I was getting lots of errors on my line, so they LOWERED my connection speed. It has been reliable ever since. I'd call your DSL provider and see if they could run some tests.
Jamie
Old 03-25-07, 07:17 PM

After trying every DSL company in my area, I have come to one conclusion: DSL sucks for gaming online. I am on Road Runner now, and it destroys DSL. I am totally lag-free now.
Old 03-25-07, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had similar issues with Verizon DSL. Moving to cable solved the problem.