PS3 warranty question ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-07, 11:44 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS3 warranty question ...

Sorry for the noob questions

Just got a 60gb PS3 NIB locally. Haven't opened it but I would like to know can and extended warranty be purchased from Sony or somewhere else?? I got this from someone who originally got it a Target so I would like some additional "protection".

Its still sealed/new

Thanks

Greg
Old 03-12-07, 01:00 PM

I believe you can just purchase a warranty at Target. It costs around 50 for 3 years. They sell them at the electronics counter. They look like gift cards.
Old 03-12-07, 02:09 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Evil
I believe you can just purchase a warranty at Target. It costs around 50 for 3 years. They sell them at the electronics counter. They look like gift cards.

cool does it need to be purchased at the same time as the item??

Greg
Old 03-12-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dude, you can just bring the receipt and purchase the extended warrenty, i'm sure Target is happy to let you do that. Personally, i don't recommend the extra waste of cash. The machine is pretty solid (no need to knock on woods).

People buy the extended plan to ensure future models within the time period, like the X360. This way you don't have to spend another $$$ to get a new system, simply pay some extra and get the upgraded version.
Old 03-12-07, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by GCS
cool does it need to be purchased at the same time as the item??

Greg

Not sure on that one. Best to phone first.
Old 03-12-07, 06:28 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ocelot
Dude, you can just bring the receipt and purchase the extended warrenty, i'm sure Target is happy to let you do that. Personally, i don't recommend the extra waste of cash. The machine is pretty solid (no need to knock on woods).

People buy the extended plan to ensure future models within the time period, like the X360. This way you don't have to spend another $$$ to get a new system, simply pay some extra and get the upgraded version.

Well if the PS3 BBQs itself I want to be covered. Thats my only concern and thats worth an extra $50 to me. Besides I got my NIB PS3, extra controller, and RFOM for $450 so with the extended warranty I am still way under retail. For the life of me I can't understand why this guy let it go so cheap. I have the retail Target ticket for it and everything. He got before Christmas (12/15 actually) and never opened or used the system only the game and controller have been opened. My gain I guess.

Evil thanks for the info .. I'll check at Target tonight as I need to stop off and get some stuff tonight anyway.

Greg
Old 03-13-07, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GCS
Well if the PS3 BBQs itself I want to be covered. Thats my only concern and thats worth an extra $50 to me. Besides I got my NIB PS3, extra controller, and RFOM for $450 so with the extended warranty I am still way under retail. For the life of me I can't understand why this guy let it go so cheap. I have the retail Target ticket for it and everything. He got before Christmas (12/15 actually) and never opened or used the system only the game and controller have been opened. My gain I guess.

Evil thanks for the info .. I'll check at Target tonight as I need to stop off and get some stuff tonight anyway.

Greg

Well, in that case, i can see the $50 justified... Congrats on the deal, it's sweet alright. As for the guy letting it go for $450, there are tons of reasons, as a matter of fact, he's thinking you're an idiot to buy it for $450 (again, can be tons of reasons).
Old 03-13-07, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
This sounds crazy considering my experience with the PS2, but I have a ton of confidence in the PS3. I decided to skip the warranty on it. I may live to regret that, but the build quality on the PS3 really seems high for a Sony product.
Old 03-17-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

darkside, from many posts, it seems we're on the same page... i'm pretty impressed with the PS3 so far (even though i played more PS2 games on it than Resistance). GoW is awesom (yes, i just started playing the 1st game). When i finish it, boy, treat myself with GoW2 (by then GoW3 for PS3 will be out, sweet).

Of course, suffering the net using the PS3 or Wii sucks...