DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Wii - Part IV. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/494188-wii-part-iv.html)

Liver&Onions 03-03-07 12:44 PM

Wii - Part IV.

Yessiree Bob, this is part 4.

lordwow 03-03-07 02:08 PM

So what's everyone playing on the Wii right now?

I'm mostly VCing it.

tanman 03-03-07 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by lordwow

I'm mostly VCing it.

I was playing Zelda but I just beat it. Will probably collect the rest of the Poes and the cave of ordeals and then get to work on some DS games. Probably not much for me until some of the other launch games get cheaper. When they hit the $20 or $30 mark I'll probably pick up Excite Truck, Elebits, and Trauma Center.

NiCK Crush 03-03-07 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by lordwow

I'm mostly VCing it.

i'm still addicted to Wii Sports Bowling... i got Zelda on launch day but am still only 12 hours into it... i just havent had the time for a Zelda adventure. When i play Wii, its usually Wii Sports, WarioWare, or Wii Play... i need quick games right now.

-NiCK

lordwow 03-03-07 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
i'm still addicted to Wii Sports Bowling... i got Zelda on launch day but am still only 12 hours into it... i just havent had the time for a Zelda adventure. When i play Wii, its usually Wii Sports, WarioWare, or Wii Play... i need quick games right now.

-NiCK

That's actually why I've been VCing. LTTP is great for both long (dungeons) and short (heart pieces, etc) sessions. And the home button (save anywhere), makes it a lot easier.

chrisih8u 03-03-07 03:41 PM

Im playing SSX, Wii Play, and Zelda: OOT. And I'll pick up TMNT when it comes out.

Josh H 03-03-07 03:41 PM

I'm playing RE4 (GC) to knock the dust off.

Can't wait for Super Paper Mario next month.

DarthMarino 03-03-07 03:46 PM

Blur has been dominating my free time. On the virtual console front I've been playing New Adventure Island.

Michael Corvin 03-03-07 04:02 PM

Sonic & the Secret Rings, which is pretty fun. It is a lot like an old school platformer which is where a lot of criticisms come from. Twitch jumping, lots of memorization of the board and redoing levels because you didn't know that giant chasm was there because of the camera. All valid complaints, but it makes it feel old school to me. Killing enemies with the Wiimote is strangely satisfying. It isn't super difficult, but can offer a challenge if you try and complete everything. It's a great looking game to boot and the control style works well. It's my first Sonic game and I like it.

Kid Icarus - I've spent a good 6-7 hours on this one. Classic. I'm close to the end right now, level 4-1 and have loved every minute of it.

Zelda - I play a couple hours every other week. I'm just not feeling this one yet. I'm between dungeon 2 and 3.

lordwow 03-03-07 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I'm playing RE4 (GC) to knock the dust off.

Can't wait for Super Paper Mario next month.

Mmm, soon as I beat this last level in Rogue Squadron II, I'm going to be playing Paper Mario (GC) for the first time in anticipaton of the Wii sequel.

Full BC on the Wii for GC was one of Nintendo's best moves. I'm loving the GC since I've bought Rouge Squadron II, Paper Mario, RE4, SSBM, Zelda:WW, and have Viewtiful Joe coming, all of which I missed out on last generation.

Quack 03-03-07 04:19 PM

I've been doing a lot of the Everybody Votes channel, strangley enough....I think I'm 7-3 for predictions so far...so that's pretty cool...That and Mario Kart 64 and Ocarina which I just downloaded recently.

jw2299 03-03-07 07:53 PM

I just wanted to say that I got a Wii for my birthday 2 weeks ago and it's bad ass. I can't wait to get Zelda and Trauma Center.

Also, can I buy Wii points online from Nintendo? I searched their site and couldn't find anywhere to purchase them.

lordwow 03-03-07 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by jw2299
I just wanted to say that I got a Wii for my birthday 2 weeks ago and it's bad ass. I can't wait to get Zelda and Trauma Center.

Also, can I buy Wii points online from Nintendo? I searched their site and couldn't find anywhere to purchase them.

Only through the Wii I believe.

tonyc3742 03-03-07 08:26 PM

Yeah, just log in to the Wii shop channel and you can buy them there. Plus, you can buy as little as 10.00 worth.
I'm hopping between Excitetruck and Zelda--I'm only a couple hours into it, but I heard the first few hours are kind of slow.
Rented Wario Ware: Smooth Moves. Cute yet stupid (in a good way). I can*not* beat that darn dancing level. There's just no signal (that I've found). It's a little annoying it's not multiplayer right off the bat.
I'm actually browsing the used GC aisle at EB/GS and trying to decide to take the plunge, since I never had a GC.

chess 03-03-07 08:43 PM

We're playing Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy for Gamecube...a pretty good little Zelda clone.

Edit: It's actually remarkable...this is the first game I've seen my fiance get into since Animal Crossing. She's playing and I'm watching...and it's usually the other way around. :up:

Plus the game is fun and funny. I'd recommend it to anybody who likes the Zelda formula...talking to you Hinkle. ;) I'd put it on par...maybe just a smidge below...Beyond Good and Evil. It takes a few hours to open up though...so be patient.

edytwinky 03-04-07 06:03 PM

VC'ing it with SMW and DKC

Michael Corvin 03-05-07 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by chess
We're playing Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy for Gamecube...a pretty good little Zelda clone.

Edit: It's actually remarkable...this is the first game I've seen my fiance get into since Animal Crossing. She's playing and I'm watching...and it's usually the other way around. :up:

Plus the game is fun and funny. I'd recommend it to anybody who likes the Zelda formula...talking to you Hinkle. ;) I'd put it on par...maybe just a smidge below...Beyond Good and Evil. It takes a few hours to open up though...so be patient.

I bought that cheap about two years ago and it sat and sat until I traded it in for my Wii. I never even popped it in once. :lol: Maybe I'll snag it cheap again if I'm desperate for anything to play.

Sonny Corinthos 03-05-07 12:38 AM

Research firm names Wii the next gen winner through 2008.

davidh777 03-05-07 01:15 AM

I haven't played Zelda in a few weeks. Got a little frustrated trying to use the Goron guys as trampolines but I'll try again sometime.

Found Wii Play at Target so I'll try that this week.

Mr. Cinema 03-05-07 06:15 AM

Been playing some Zelda, but lately it's been VC games.

chess 03-05-07 07:05 AM

Re: Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I bought that cheap about two years ago and it sat and sat until I traded it in for my Wii. I never even popped it in once. :lol: Maybe I'll snag it cheap again if I'm desperate for anything to play.

You won't be sorry. I don't think I paid more than $10-12 for it. I'd always been put off by the name, but finally heard enough good things about it to give it a shot.

It's essentially a Zelda-like adventure with a bit more platformer emphasis. The first hour or so is painful (simple areas to learn the controls), but it gets really good as it goes.

The mummy is awesome.

steebo777 03-05-07 08:01 AM

Been playing a lot of Zelda: ALTTP, a little WiiPlay, some Bonk's and a lot of WiiSports still.

JimmySRU 03-05-07 11:43 AM

whats on the VC today

Josh H 03-05-07 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by JimmySRU
whats on the VC today

According to gonintendo.com it's:

Elevator Action (NES)
Super Ghouls and Ghosts (SNES)
Sword of Vermillion (Genesis)

UncleGramps 03-05-07 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by JimmySRU
whats on the VC today

According to http://www.vc-reviews.com/news/58/us...5th-march.php:

Super Ghouls n Ghosts (SNES) - 800 points
Elevator Action (NES) - 500 points
Sword of Vermillion (Genesis) - 800 points

darkside 03-05-07 12:09 PM

Don't see Elevator Action, but the other two are there. Another week with nothing I want to buy.

jdpatri 03-05-07 12:10 PM

Super Ghouls n Ghosts! Excellent. I know I played the hell out of Sword of Vemillion back in the day but I don't remember a damn thing about it.

Quack 03-05-07 12:14 PM

Might have to blind buy Super Ghouls N Ghosts....the original for NES was one of the hardest games I ever played.

spinning plates 03-05-07 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by tanman
I was playing Zelda but I just beat it. Will probably collect the rest of the Poes and the cave of ordeals and then get to work on some DS games. Probably not much for me until some of the other launch games get cheaper. When they hit the $20 or $30 mark I'll probably pick up Excite Truck, Elebits, and Trauma Center.

red steel is $29 this week at best buy.

steebo777 03-05-07 12:19 PM

I've heard good things about Sword of Vermillion, but don't know anything about it. Good VC blind buy?

I am tempted by Super Ghouls and Ghosts...

Michael Corvin 03-05-07 12:37 PM

Ah man, Super Ghouls & Ghosts. I'll have to think about that one.

PixyJunket 03-05-07 12:43 PM

Super Ghouls and Ghosts is on the Capcom Classics disc, if you want a sloppy and blurry version of the game.

Josh H 03-05-07 12:45 PM

Super Ghouls and Ghosts was too hard for me back when I was young and didn't suck at games, so I'm not about to fuck with it now. :lol:

Actually I did give the ROM ago a few months ago and couldn't even get past the second level. :lol:

gimmepilotwings 03-05-07 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Quack
Might have to blind buy Super Ghouls N Ghosts....the original for NES was one of the hardest games I ever played.

Totally. One of my favorite games of all time. When they bring back the original, I might get that on the VC.

slop101 03-05-07 01:41 PM

I wonder if the level-select cheat will work on the SGG's VC.

DodgingCars 03-05-07 02:16 PM

I've been mostly playing Zelda on the Wii. Because I'm renting Hotel Dusk on the DS, I've been spending a lot of time on that... I also am doing the 10 day free trial of World of Warcraft. I've slowed down a little with Zelda because I'm at the Snowpeak dungeon and it's a freakin' annoying dungeon. Not having much fun with it.

I plan on renting Sonic soon, so I'll probably check that out this weekend.

I bought 2 gamecube games (Metroid PH2 and Zelda: WW) on eBay and will be checking those out when I get them.

jdpatri 03-05-07 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by steebo777
I've heard good things about Sword of Vermillion, but don't know anything about it. Good VC blind buy?

Well, I'll try to recall some relevant thoughts. No guarantees though. Sword of Vermillion was one of those "action-RPGs" that were new and exciting at the time. It just meant that instead of a turn-based battle, you were thrown into an action scene where you controlled the character in a "live" hack-and-slash battle that was largely determined by your character's powers and abilities. It was one of the few RPGs that held my interest long enough to finish... but I don't remember if that was because it was short or because I really did play the hell out of it.

If you wait a day or two I'll have some feedback edited for 2007 rather than just rosy memories.

PerryD 03-05-07 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Super Ghouls and Ghosts was too hard for me back when I was young and didn't suck at games

I did finish the original Sega Genesis Ghouls and Ghosts, but I don't remember getting too far in Super G&G on the SNES. I picked up the PSP G&G recently and the certainly didn't ease up on the difficulty level on that one either.

I've been real impressed with the SNES game selection on the VC, the real cream of the crop with Super Mario World, Zelda Link to the Past, Donkey Kong Country, Street Fighter II, F-Zero, Super Castlevania, R-Type 3, Contra 3, and now Super Ghouls n Ghosts. I can't imagine a better list of titles to start with. The N64 list is decent considering there is only 3 available.

I have to say the NES VC list really really sucks. Crap like Pinball, Soccer, Tennis and Baseball are a joke. They are charging $5 each for a dozen games that are already included for free with Animal Crossing. Where are Castlevania, Metroid, Double Dragon, Contra, Ninja Gaiden, Dragon Warrior, etc.

ltrain 03-05-07 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by steebo777

I remember really liking Sword of Vermillion back in the day. It had excellent graphics for it's time (especially the boss battles!) It wasn't all that difficult though, especially if you used the strategy guide that came with the cartridge. Overall, it was an enjoyable game, but I don't know how it would hold up today. I'm tempted to give it a try on the VC, but I still haven't bought DKC or Streets of Rage yet, and I think those are more deserving of my $$.

tanman 03-05-07 03:23 PM

There are still some games that I would really like to get on the VC. Mainly two player co-op games. I still think the NES was the best platform for two player co-op.

NES:
Jackal
Contra
Snake Rattle and Roll
Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers
Ducktales

SNES:
Really just Super Metroid but if they could do the Square Soft RPGs that would be awesome. Can you imagine Secret of Mana?

Since the price of the VC games is so high I have been quite picky as to what games I want to get. I really just want to get the games that I played over and over again.