Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gamestop sinks even lower

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-07, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most game sales are made within the first week or two of release, and places like EB make most of their money through used sales. Put those two together.
Old 02-19-07, 09:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jrbrangi
I was actually ranting about this on another forum so I'll add my post from there.

An Open Letter...........

F*ck You EB Games. How in the hell does a do you call your self a video Game store not carry current video games. I went in today to trade in a few games and pick up NHL 2k7 because I had some gift cards, I normally would never go there.

Of course they raped me on the trade ins and offered me 1.00 each for a few of my games. (I'll use it as a coaster before I give it to you for a dollar so you can sell it for $20 to some unsuspecting Mom who just has to have that certain game for little Johnny). but thats another rant in and of itself.

After I get my shitty trade in value on a gift card I ask to have a copy of the game. Of course you don't have it no big deal, cause there are 2 others within a few miles. I have him call another one and they also have no game.

So being hopeful on my ride back I stopped at one other store in which they had no game Again. I politely asked what the is the deal, it can't be that popular that 3 stores are sold out. "Oh we havent had that for a while now" Well when are you getting it in? "They don't tell us they just show up".

How the f*ck do you not carry a game that has only been out for 3 months on the Next Gen systems. YOU ARE A F*CKING VIDEO GAME STORE. THAT IS ALL YOU F*CKING SELL. You have like 11 copies of some sh*thead game like Kirby's Dreamland for SNES. But no stock of current games.

They f*ck everyone by overhyping and preselling games for months, that they have no intention of actually having when you go to pick it up on the day of its release.

Do your f*cking job as a company and carry a current stock of current games.
Please never come to my store. Thank you.
Old 02-19-07, 10:11 PM
Banned

I was actually ranting about this on another forum so I'll add my post from there.

An Open Letter...........

F*ck You EB Games. How in the hell does a do you call your self a video Game store not carry current video games. I went in today to trade in a few games and pick up NHL 2k7 because I had some gift cards, I normally would never go there.

Of course they raped me on the trade ins and offered me 1.00 each for a few of my games. (I'll use it as a coaster before I give it to you for a dollar so you can sell it for $20 to some unsuspecting Mom who just has to have that certain game for little Johnny). but thats another rant in and of itself.

After I get my shitty trade in value on a gift card I ask to have a copy of the game. Of course you don't have it no big deal, cause there are 2 others within a few miles. I have him call another one and they also have no game.

So being hopeful on my ride back I stopped at one other store in which they had no game Again. I politely asked what the is the deal, it can't be that popular that 3 stores are sold out. "Oh we havent had that for a while now" Well when are you getting it in? "They don't tell us they just show up".

How the f*ck do you not carry a game that has only been out for 3 months on the Next Gen systems. YOU ARE A F*CKING VIDEO GAME STORE. THAT IS ALL YOU F*CKING SELL. You have like 11 copies of some sh*thead game like Kirby's Dreamland for SNES. But no stock of current games.

They f*ck everyone by overhyping and preselling games for months, that they have no intention of actually having when you go to pick it up on the day of its release.

Do your f*cking job as a company and carry a current stock of current games.

FYI, fuck is not censored on these forums. Just thought you might like to know that since it appears that you like that word a lot.
Old 02-19-07, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Gamestop is the Radio Shack of game stores ... without the cool drawer of resistors
Old 02-19-07, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by taffer
FYI, fuck is not censored on these forums. Just thought you might like to know that since it appears that you like that word a lot.
figured I'd cover my bases anyway
Old 02-19-07, 10:52 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Please never come to my store. Thank you.

Why? It seems pretty reasonable to be upset that out of three stores he couldn't find one copy of the current NHL game.

I really don't get the point of these stores anymore. They sell games at or above MSRP and rarely have sales on new games and even though the only sell games its often harder to find a title there than at a big box store.

Their loss. I have a Best Buy, Circuit City and Target all less than a mile from my apartment, I'm more than happy to give them all my gaming dollars.
Old 02-19-07, 11:12 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Why? It seems pretty reasonable to be upset that out of three stores he couldn't find one copy of the current NHL game.
I probably should have included a smiley in the last post. Whenever I attempt deadpan humor online, it always seems to miss the target.
Old 02-19-07, 11:53 PM

did I mention that I did an online search through there site. They did not have 1 copy at any store within a 50 mile radius of Boston. that is a fact. That is called a terrible supply chain
Old 02-20-07, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

did I mention that I did an online search through there site. They did not have 1 copy at any store within a 50 mile radius of Boston. that is a fact. That is called a terrible supply chain
I looked it up locally here as well, and the only one available on their website is a used version. There are several stores in my 10 mile radius that have a used copy in stock, but you can't search for a "new" copy. Odd, that.
Old 02-20-07, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
About the topic posted, that practice is pretty crappy. I don't know anyone who enjoys getting unsolicited phone calls in the evening, morning, afternoon, or ever. All it does is anger potential return customers.

When I got a Discover card the company would keep calling me trying to up-sell me on various protection schemes for the first month. Shit drove me mad and I would have just cancelled the card if it wouldn't have had any effect on my credit score.

Attention businesses, don't be a nuisance. I don't think anyone would really care if Gamestop sent out an e-mail doing the same thing. You get across the same information and it's less intrusive.

I rarely shop in the actual stores, but when I do it's a pretty harmless experience. I know now not to go there for new games and to check anything I'm going to buy used thoroughly before getting it wrung up. But I much greatly prefer to just wait and then buy my games online when I find good deals on titles I'm interested in or just hit up a Circuit City, Best Buy, or Wal-Mart if I want something brand new.

I will be honest and say I love buying things I'm interested in from people who were going to trade them in to gamestop before they do - right at the register. The workers always get so pissed. "Hey, they're only going to give you $5 Hulk Destruction? I always wanted to play that, say I'll give you $10 for it."
Old 02-20-07, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly

I will be honest and say I love buying things I'm interested in from people who were going to trade them in to gamestop before they do - right at the register. The workers always get so pissed. "Hey, they're only going to give you $5 Hulk Destruction? I always wanted to play that, say I'll give you $10 for it."

Oooh snap!
Old 02-20-07, 11:42 AM
Retired

I've read some posts on CAGs where managers have "banned" customers from their stores for offering to buy games people were trying to trade.
Old 02-20-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
Used to do this with college textbooks. Can't imagine the patience you'd have to have to wait around for someone to by chance bring in something you were interested in. Could pay off big if you were lucky, I imagine.
Old 02-20-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

its definitely worked for me

i picked up a 1 gig stick (pro duo) for 20 bucks off a guy trading in his psp. I also picked up a 2 gig (pro duo) from a guy trading in his psp for 25 bucks.
Old 02-20-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I've read some posts on CAGs where managers have "banned" customers from their stores for offering to buy games people were trying to trade.
They pretty much freak out if you do that. I talked a guy out of a bunch of rare Saturn games years ago and was basically thrown out of the store. He did go outside though to sell me the games. I made back 4 times the money when I sold my Saturn and games a couple of years later on Ebay.
Old 02-20-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I've been on the other end of that kind of transaction, where Gamestop was about to give me $10 credit for a game, and some other guy in the store offered me $20 cash instead, which I gladly accepted.

But yeah, the most pathetic thing about Gamestop is how, even though they're a video game store, they still don't carry stock on some fairly popular and current games, like NHL'07 mentioned above.

Old 02-21-07, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
Can't imagine the patience you'd have to have to wait around for someone to by chance bring in something you were interested in. Could pay off big if you were lucky, I imagine.
No patience involved. It's only if I'm lucky and someone brings in something I'm interested in on the off chance I'm shopping there. I'm not scouting the place out .
Old 02-21-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Vryce
The one practice of theirs that I don't agree with and there has to be another solution is when they try to sell the last "new" copy of a game.
Mine are even more retarded than that. When I went to buy chibi-robo for the GC they had 5 display copies out. I thought they were promo boxes or something. The guy tries to sell me the open "new" game. I ask him if he has any more copies, he says , "yea we have 4 more." ALL of them opened. what is the point of that? I tell him that it's ridiculous that they opened all five, but he just replied saying "it's better than having them stolen." He just didn't get that he didnt need to open up every single copy.

that, and they are almost always morons. When Wiiplay came out BB actually had them before the game stores. I was in the store looking for something else and they asked me if I wanted to preorder wiiplay. I was like why I already picked it up at BB for $10 less and the dude FLIPPED out. He didnt believe me and said if it was true he would "call Nintendo and report them immediately!" lol. So i showed him my copy and he said he would not let this go unpunished. I was laughing my ass off on the inside. Then he proceeded to tell me that when he foudnd out wal-mart sold a copy of Halo 2 early, he reported it to microsoft and as a result wal-mart was "fined a hundred million dollars, $1 for each copy of the game made"

Wow, is all I can say.
Old 02-21-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDKrayzie
wal-mart was "fined a hundred million dollars, $1 for each copy of the game made"
Clearly he meant each copy Wal-Mart sold because we all know that Halo 2 sold over 50 bazillion copies.
Old 02-21-07, 12:24 PM

honestly though, if you are buying "new" games at gamestop/EB, and they've been out for a while, you'd be stupid to buy it from there in the first place
Old 02-21-07, 12:49 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by DVDKrayzie
that, and they are almost always morons. When Wiiplay came out BB actually had them before the game stores. I was in the store looking for something else and they asked me if I wanted to preorder wiiplay. I was like why I already picked it up at BB for $10 less and the dude FLIPPED out. He didnt believe me and said if it was true he would "call Nintendo and report them immediately!" lol. So i showed him my copy and he said he would not let this go unpunished. I was laughing my ass off on the inside. Then he proceeded to tell me that when he foudnd out wal-mart sold a copy of Halo 2 early, he reported it to microsoft and as a result wal-mart was "fined a hundred million dollars, $1 for each copy of the game made"

Wow, is all I can say.
Actually, we do get numbers to report street dates being broken (however, Wii Play was not street dated). When the DS Lite came out, Toys-R-Us broke street date, got reported, and supposedly Nintendo sent them no more DS Lites for months.
Old 02-21-07, 01:09 PM

I really don't get the point of these stores anymore. They sell games at or above MSRP and rarely have sales on new games and even though the only sell games its often harder to find a title there than at a big box store.
I'd have to agree with you. I'm not sure how sales are for these types of stores but I have a feeling we'll be seeing them start to fade out of existence in the next few years. I bought a lot of my games online last year. And I didn't even think twice about getting my Wii there because I knew they were going to get 3. There's no point for these stores anymore. Gaming has moved out of the small niche store. The only advantage they used to have for me was getting games on release date, but now even BB and Target get it before they do, more copies, and usually I can get it cheaper with a coupon.
Old 02-21-07, 01:19 PM

the fact is, they make their money on used titles, and people trading in games at 15% of their real value.
Old 02-21-07, 01:48 PM
Retired

Yep, used games will likely keep them afloat for years to come. Their profit margin is huge there with their cheap trade in prices and crazy mark ups on used games (especially newer used games).
Old 02-21-07, 01:52 PM

well, when they pay 45 bucks for a used PSP system, and turn around and sell them for 150 bucks, its pretty obvious they don't care about making 2 bucks on a brand new title

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.