Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Prayers Answered! 2K Games Returns to Football

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I've said before, I was never the biggest fan of 2k5, but I'm willing to give this a chance because I was never a fan of the 2k basketball series either until they completely re-did it with 2k6 and now I love it. So I'm interested in knowing how it compares, gameplay wise, to 2k5.
Old 07-17-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gameplay is very, very similar to 2k5. I hadn't played 2k5 in years but it all came back within a few seconds playing 2k8.

The only big differences in gameplay that I've seen so far is the hit stick (RS) can also be used for making tackles. There is also a new kicking system which is pretty difficult but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
Old 07-17-07, 09:19 PM
Suspended

Yep, it's very similar to 2K5. I love it.

Between this and NCAA 08, I don't think I even have the need to buy Madden this year.
Old 07-18-07, 01:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by redcat
I read about how much they had to pay some of the big names, and how little they had to pay some of the others who were just excited to be in the game. I just can't see myself paying $60 to play with the Las Vegas Dragons or the Houston Cheetahs (or whatever fake teams they create) in stadiums that don't exist. As many have said, it'll be interesting to see how this one does, especially coming out at the same time as NCAA '08 (as mentioned above.)
They should've just used all the team names from Any Given Sunday.

I suppose if this is a hit, they'll come out with future editions with new players, tweaked gameplay, maybe a franchise mode. But at least you'll never have out-of-date rosters.
Old 07-18-07, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some thoughts:

-Uniform customization is much deeper than I thought. I spent a whole long time tweaking my uniform and they have lots of cool options.

-I've run into a few A.I. problems (Defenders not going after quarterback when in backfield; defenders not tackling near the goal line) but these have been few and far between.

-There's a real sports ticker running during the games. I guess it uses Live to get info. Pretty neat since at first I thought they weren't real until I saw "Culpepper released by Dolphins."

-Its odd that there's almost no main menu screen. Team creation is initiated immediatley and then you're at the setup of a quick game. Only by pressing B do you bring up a menu of game mode options.
Old 07-18-07, 06:53 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
-Its odd that there's almost no main menu screen. Team creation is initiated immediatley and then you're at the setup of a quick game. Only by pressing B do you bring up a menu of game mode options.
I thought that was odd too...
Old 07-18-07, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 499 Likes on 294 Posts
Some thoughts:

-I've run into a few A.I. problems (Defenders not going after quarterback when in backfield; defenders not tackling near the goal line) but these have been few and far between.
Is it the same as in 2k5 where quarterbacks can cheaply get large yardage because your idiot linebackers just look the other way as they run by for 15 yards?

-There's a real sports ticker running during the games. I guess it uses Live to get info. Pretty neat since at first I thought they weren't real until I saw "Culpepper released by Dolphins."
That's cool.

Did you try and see if the line glitch was corrected? I'm hoping they took the time to tweak the numerous cheats that were in 2k5 so those scummy online players can't use them.
Old 07-18-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

loved 2k5, cant stand 2k8....feels too much like an xblive arcade game I should have spent 800points on, not 60 bucks. Bland everything, terrible menus/navigation, nothing except make a team and play. Good animation and tough gameplay though. Still better than madden, but thats not saying much. 2k5 reigns as the #1 of all time still
Old 07-18-07, 01:14 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by discostu1337
loved 2k5, cant stand 2k8....feels too much like an xblive arcade game I should have spent 800points on, not 60 bucks. Bland everything, terrible menus/navigation, nothing except make a team and play. Good animation and tough gameplay though. Still better than madden, but thats not saying much. 2k5 reigns as the #1 of all time still
The $60 hurt... but I know if we support it it'll get better each year.

Just think... the game of football itself is better than Madden's gameplay, and they make a game every year.
Old 07-18-07, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, anyone try this for PS3? Supposedly it runs at 30fps vs 360 at 60fps.

Just curious as my 360 is still broke
Old 07-18-07, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds

Just think... the game of football itself is better than Madden's gameplay, and they make a game every year.

True, but it lacked the "fun" that a game really needs. It felt more like work playing this game, and I hate work
Old 07-18-07, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"bland everything"?

You can pretty much make the uniforms any way you want. The stadiums are way cooler than in Madden.

I'll concede that the lack of options is kinda lame, but franchise is the only glaring omission. The rest aren't really that big of a deal.
Old 07-18-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
It kind of seems like we're being held hostage by our $60 support charge while waiting for them to get better. I'm happy that 2K is back in principle, but I'm not sure that I'm happy with this product specifically. I guess I just expected more. It is much better than Blitz: The League, though, and that was a pretty big hit.
Old 07-18-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The fact that most people think it's very similar to 2K5 is enough to put me back on the fence, and the lack of franchise mode is probably the final deal breaker for me, at least at the $60 price point.
Old 07-18-07, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
"bland everything"?

You can pretty much make the uniforms any way you want. The stadiums are way cooler than in Madden.
Gotta tell you man, I don't think most gamers pick up a football game for the uniforms and stadiums.
Old 07-18-07, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Gotta tell you man, I don't think most gamers pick up a football game for the uniforms and stadiums.
Did you read the post? He wasn't talking about gameplay. The uniforms and stadiums are far from "bland".

One thing I've started to notice is how difficult the passing game is. It seems that about 80% of my passes beyond 5 yards are deflected. Kinda unfair when the opposing teams recievers catch pretty much anything thrown at them. Maximum passing is availible so I've been messing with that hoping to get a better control of my passes.

Another thing worth mentioning is the "Reel Maker" feature which allows you to edit your saved replays, add graphics, and upload them on Live. Unfortunatley, it costs 400 MS points. For the lack of game modes, you think they could have thrown that in for free.

Last edited by RyoHazuki; 07-18-07 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-18-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,410 Likes on 4,385 Posts
Wow, that sucks. If you're trying to recruit the football fans fed up with EA Sports, it would be smart to stay far away from "microtransactions".

I think they made a HUGE mistake pricing this game as they did. Had they asked $40, they'd have a huge seller. As it is, I expect it to sell about as well as the last Blitz game. Dumb, dumb move.
Old 07-18-07, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,738 Likes on 2,683 Posts
I'm really torn...I'm intrigued about this game, but $60 isn't cheap. Bottom line for those who have bought the game and have played it a few times......Is it fun?

Or should I just go with the NCAA 08 and then wait for Madden?
Old 07-18-07, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm really torn...I'm intrigued about this game, but $60 isn't cheap. Bottom line for those who have bought the game and have played it a few times......Is it fun?

If you strongly prefer 2k gameplay over Madden, then buy the game. Thats why I bought it. I need my football game fix and this game will do quite nicely. The customization will hopefully give it a lot of replay value.

However...

it is short on features no matter how you slice it. $60 is a bit steep for the game. If the extra features are really important to you, just wait for Madden or a price drop.
Old 07-19-07, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 389 Likes on 314 Posts
The fact that most people think it's very similar to 2K5 is enough to put me back on the fence, and the lack of franchise mode is probably the final deal breaker for me, at least at the $60 price point.
100% agree with this comment. No franchise is inexcusable.

One thing I loved in 2k5 was being able to put my own music in and tie it to certain events in the game --- can you still do this in 2k8?
Old 07-19-07, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V
100% agree with this comment. No franchise is inexcusable.

One thing I loved in 2k5 was being able to put my own music in and tie it to certain events in the game --- can you still do this in 2k8?

nope, as I said earlier, this game is super bare-bones. You can make pretty jersey's, but that is about it.
Old 07-19-07, 10:18 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rob V
Nope, but I think this has more to do with the system structure of the 360 than anything else. The in-game music feature in any game is radically different on the 360 than it was on the original Xbox.
Old 07-19-07, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I'm sure they will have the ability to rename players and someone will have a NFL roster within days of release.

NOW, just give MVP Baseball back to EA

As long as you can rename the roster and the teams/colors I would be good. Especially if they have a good off season set up.
Old 07-19-07, 06:22 PM
DAC

Originally Posted by DJariya

i'd like to know this as well. I'd also like to know how the online play and leagues are.
Old 07-19-07, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 389 Likes on 314 Posts
Just guessing (and not trying to hate) but I think this game will be 39.99 in a month or two. Games that don't sell well (and I don't think this will @ 60.00) seem to go on sale very quickly at Target and Best Buy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.