Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox 360 thread - part 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-07, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
But like I said, there's nothing on the right side. They're all zero percent.
Huh, that is weird then - i didn't think you could avoid someone unless you named a reason you were avoiding them and they took a rep hit. No idea then.
Old 01-24-07, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, Crackdown does not suck

The controls are actually VERY good for the genre. Driving is better than I could have hoped. Jumping 15+ ft in the air can get pretty addictive
Old 01-24-07, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If Crackdown is anything like GTA or Saints Row I'll pass. I have no interest in these kind of games.
Old 01-24-07, 08:11 AM

yea, it probably wouldn't be for you then
Old 01-24-07, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Sorry if this has been discussed but did they lower the point price for the GRAW expansion pack 2? It's 600 now. Wasn't it 800?
Old 01-24-07, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Meh, I played the Crackdown demo for about 40 minutes and thought it was pretty mediocre. I have been waiting for this game and it left me disappointed. The controls for driving are absolute crap, very, very floaty. Targeting seems like a complete crapshoot as to who it will select, and even after pressing the target button again it will select the guy you killed 5 seconds ago. Or sometimes it will target a guy 2 miles down the road, it seemed completely random. Also the fact that it seems to take 50 bullets to kill a single guy is lame. I also hated how I was just driving down a street and there were constantly bullets being sprayed at me from every direction at all times.

I'll probably still rent it, but I was definitely hoping it would be better than it is.
Old 01-24-07, 08:34 AM

I thought the driving was much better than Saints Row. The targetting could be better, but I really didn't have a problem adjusting to it at all.

As far as it taking 50 bullets to kill someone, it really depends if you are using controlled bursts, or just spraying bullets. If its the latter, than it would be like playing R6, and the reticle is so big that your accuracy drops way down. Also, I believe you are neglecting the fact that you have to level up your shooting prowess like anything else in the game. As your shooting skill increases, so does your accuracy.
Old 01-24-07, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Sorry if this has been discussed but did they lower the point price for the GRAW expansion pack 2? It's 600 now. Wasn't it 800?
Yeah, that happened a whle back...I thought it was 1200 points at one point.

As for Crackdown...my D/L was going SO slow...I was about 27% after 1.5 hours.

If it's like Saint's Row, I may enjoy it...although, I still have to play through Saint's Row. I only played about 5 missions so far as I haven't really had time to play.
Old 01-24-07, 09:07 AM

i owned Saints Row, and after 40 minutes, I would say its superior in every way
Old 01-24-07, 10:36 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You would say Crackdown is superior, or Saints Row?
Old 01-24-07, 10:43 AM

Crackdown, hands-down, without a doubt
Old 01-24-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't forget the Lumines packs are up today and discounted until Feb 21.
Old 01-24-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
100% of people prefer me. Of course, only 2 people have left me feedback.
Old 01-24-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVDChris
100% of people prefer me. Of course, only 2 people have left me feedback.
Make that 66%!

j/k
Old 01-24-07, 02:02 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

A few more Crackdown impressions:

I had a chance to play the co-op mode for a couple of hours last night. Despite a few framerate hiccups, it's pretty much as solid as the single player game. I focused on collecting agility orbs while my friend built up his shooting skill. Basically, I would leap into each enemies shooting range and be a jumping decoy while my co-op bud took out the baddies very quickly with the shotty, up close and personal. Taking down the minor gang bosses is a breeze with two competent players.

I do wish co-op partners sitting in the passenger seat could shoot out of the passenger window. Also, I don't like the co-op partner automatically shifting to the other side when the driver bales. It should kick both people out before the car explodes.

FYI, the co-op connection mode stinks for the demo since it knocks you back to the desktop if your connection fails. So you should either host the game or go into custom game and look for the newest entries that pop up.

I'm still amazed the sheer amount of city landscape stays visible at all times. I realize the developer is using pre-rendered artwork for the sections of the city not yet available, but it's still mind-boggling. After leveling up to the final agility level in the demo (30 foot jump), I swam out to the starting police island and climbed the massive structure. There is actually a really fun foot race that requires you to get to the very top of the tower. Anyway, the view from up top is spectacular.

Agility level 4 seems like the equivalent of Spider-Man to me, btw. Leaping from tower to tower is exhilarating. You never know if you will make it, but you always seem to just get close enough to grab the ledge. The running speed kicks ass as well. My co-op partner kept bitching that I was leaving him in the dust and that's when he was driving!

I got much better with the targeting system last night and was pulling off headshots like crazy. I don't care for the sniper rifle's zoom system, but it is a powerful weapon when used correctly. The shotgun seems like the best overall weapon though. Jumping right up into someone's face and unloading that monster is a recipe for success. The starting agency weapons are ok, nothing really special.

to the demo. I'm even more interested in the game now than when I saw the private showing at E3.

Last edited by Flay; 01-24-07 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-24-07, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have a PS3 sitting in a box at home, because I am waiting for the "newer" X-Box 360 to come out - the one with the big hard drive, hdmi etc.

Do you know when this is due out?
Old 01-24-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
No clue.

Personally, I'd just buy an Xbox360 and get a warranty from Best Buy, that way you can just return it and get the new model when it's available.

Curious though, if you have a warranty through BB and send it to MS to get fixed, will BB allow you to update your warranty to match the serial #?
Old 01-24-07, 03:56 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
I have a PS3 sitting in a box at home, because I am waiting for the "newer" X-Box 360 to come out - the one with the big hard drive, hdmi etc.

Do you know when this is due out?
No one does. MS has most recently claimed it was only a "research project". I'm guessing we'll see the cooler processors at some point this year, but who knows. And the HDMI and hard drive... who knows if we'll see them this year at all.
Old 01-24-07, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
No clue.

Personally, I'd just buy an Xbox360 and get a warranty from Best Buy, that way you can just return it and get the new model when it's available.

Curious though, if you have a warranty through BB and send it to MS to get fixed, will BB allow you to update your warranty to match the serial #?
I don't think the serial number is on the receipt, so there's no way for them to tell when you return it.
Old 01-24-07, 05:09 PM

I made a thread for itself, not realizing there was discussion here. My impressions below:
I ran around on my own, couldn't find a buddy to play with. this game is like GTA meets CoH. The gameplay was decent, maybe its more fun with a friend but I got bored quickly.
I did like the art and I liked how open the world is (you can swim in the river. I found great joy in that). I also had fun doing stupid shit just to see what the voiceover guy would say. (apparently running down civillians with a SUV is frowned upon)
I want this game for H3 beta code but I don't feel this title is worth more than $30
Old 01-24-07, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
No one does. MS has most recently claimed it was only a "research project". I'm guessing we'll see the cooler processors at some point this year, but who knows. And the HDMI and hard drive... who knows if we'll see them this year at all.
I just gotta believe that the "research project" is the next gen Xbox. It's already nearly a year and a half into it's life cycle and doing some pretty amazing things with just component and USB cables. If Microsoft were to wait another year and a half to launch an upgrade to what we all have, then THAT particular unit only has about 2 years on it's life cycle before the next gen unit is supposed to hit the market (assuming a 5 year life cycle).

Could it happen? Sure... but I think it would be pretty shitty to expect the customer to buy an upgraded unit every 2-3 years. I would hope that Microsoft, of all companies, could anticipate the next wave of technology and incorporate it into the Xbox 720 (or whatever they will call it); unlike what they did with the current 360 by not including HDMI or HD out of the box.
Old 01-24-07, 05:48 PM

They don't expect you to buy anything. It's an option for those that need an hdmi that badly or an extra reason for anyone that's held off for that long.
Old 01-24-07, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by squidget
I made a thread for itself, not realizing there was discussion here. My impressions below:
I ran around on my own, couldn't find a buddy to play with. this game is like GTA meets CoH. The gameplay was decent, maybe its more fun with a friend but I got bored quickly.
I did like the art and I liked how open the world is (you can swim in the river. I found great joy in that). I also had fun doing stupid shit just to see what the voiceover guy would say. (apparently running down civillians with a SUV is frowned upon)
I want this game for H3 beta code but I don't feel this title is worth more than $30
The demo was ok. It has a super hero/spiderman2 feel to it. I just hope there is a little more when the full game is released. Take the physical attacks for example, as far as hand to hand combat you're limited to a running kick, roundhouse kick, and hitting a perp with your gun? c'mon, shouldn't these agents have a few more techniques or throws available to them?

Oh if you want to save $10, check the Warioware thread. I posted a coupon for $10 off a $39 and over game at best Buy.
Old 01-24-07, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by amped

Oh if you want to save $10, check the Warioware thread. I posted a coupon for $10 off a $39 and over game at best Buy.
Looks like it was taken down due to bandwidth issues, is it available anywhere else?
Old 01-24-07, 06:52 PM

LMK if this works:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UXA6WZHH

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.