Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official PS3 thread.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-07, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw a used one at my GameRush....which was a bit surprising. $525 for it though.
Old 02-28-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a new spin on the backwardds compatability issue...its from avs so take it for what its worth...

Just to clarify the article you posted, this is nothing unusual -- Sony said from the very beginning that it would dump its "PS2-on-PS3" subsystem as soon as they had software emulation working well enough. Software emulation is actually a PREFERRED method, because it allows Sony to include capabilities not otherwise supported by the PS2 chipset, such as scaling PS2 games to 720p and 1080p, which is what the emulator will do. This is GOOD NEWS!

US and Japanese models will be migrated to the software emulation via firmware updates as well. While nobody knows the true extent of the compatibility, the majority of folks concur that it will be 80% or better, including the most popular franchises. This is not a "blow to Sony", it's an intelligent move to cut costs while simultaneously upgrading the PS3 with a more flexible, more updatable emulator with more capabilities. It will also cut the PS3's power consumption and allow it to run cooler. Computer manufacturers consolidate functionality of various chips onto other chips or software all the time, yet the media doesn't go into a tizzy about that.hat its worth...
Old 02-28-07, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
"The backwards compatibility is not going to be as good as the U.S. and Japan models," said a Sony spokesperson. According to Sony, the European PS3 is designed differently from the Japan and North America models. Software will take over the backwards compatibility issues now instead of dedicated chips. Sony also says 98 percent of PS2 games are playable on PS3 in the U.S. and Japan, no percentage was given for Europe.

Alex Kwiatowski, of British market research group Vertical Market Technologies (who sounds more like a Sony flack), said, "I'm as disappointed as the next game player about the reduced backward compatibility, but even the most nostalgic, misty-eyed gamers will have their steely hearts impressed by the new features that PS3 games provide." If God of War II, a PS2 game, doesn't work out of the box -- there will be Hades to pay.
That's straight from the joystiq article that lotsofdvds posted earlier in this thread. Now maybe the Sony salesperson failed their "hype 101" required seminar, but even the Sony Rep said the new backward compatibility will not be as good.

Also, do we know for sure the emulator will upscale PS2 games?
Old 02-28-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hopefully the games will be upscaled properly. 3D can be easily upscaled and look good (PS1 games over a PC emulator look pretty good in high-res despite the low-poly modeling) but if they think heavy aliasing and blurring is part of the process.. I'll be keeping my PS2 (if I ever upgrade to a PS3, that is). So far, the track record of game companies putting old games into new resolutions is piss poor, Nintendo's Virtual Console being the one shining standout.
Old 02-28-07, 04:02 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I say we trust Sony on this one.
Old 02-28-07, 04:28 PM
Retired

That could be ok I suppose if the games look better an the support list is much better than on the 360.

I don't care much about them cutting costs as I'm sure that won't get passed on to the consumer.
Old 02-28-07, 05:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
I say we trust Sony on this one.

Before the 360 was released, Microsoft kept going on about how the software emulation would be good and they would keep releasing updates until the entire Xbox library would be backward compatible. More than a year later, there are still quite a few popular Xbox games not BC. I fully expect Sony to be in the same boat.
Old 02-28-07, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Motorstorm 8.9 from IGN:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/768/768820p1.html
Old 02-28-07, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Fandango
Sounds like a demo version of the inevitable Motorstorm 2.
Old 03-01-07, 12:17 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Does Talladega Nights still come with every PS3, or was that only for a short time? Or just in the US? I've yet to open mine, but I don't see any stickers on it.
Old 03-01-07, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It came with the first 500k I think. I doubt you will get it if you got it recently.
Old 03-01-07, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
Has anyone else played a movie since updating to 1.54? It looks like the controls changed. Before I could use the d-pad or left analog to rewind or fast-forward. That no longer works. Now I have to use the L2 and R2 buttons and use Start to Play instead of X like I used to.
Old 03-01-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by taffer
More than a year later, there are still quite a few popular Xbox games not BC.
EVERY GAME I kept for Xbox is not playable on the Xbox 360.
Old 03-01-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I know the feeling Pixy. I wanted ONE game to be BC and it has never happened
Old 03-01-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
EVERY GAME I kept for Xbox is not playable on the Xbox 360.

That was the main reason why i got a PS3 than a X360... The library of PS2 is impressive, so does Xbox and i don't have a PS2 (broken) or a Xbox. My logic is, get a PS3 or X360 instead of PS2 or Xbox. The winning decision is PS3, hey, at least i can play my PS2 games Yeah yeah, rumbleless, but i can play games w/o it.
Old 03-01-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not sure...I think the update was for Video Chat / USB Camera support though. I know it's on the Sony update page.
Old 03-01-07, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kakihara1
I know the feeling Pixy. I wanted ONE game to be BC and it has never happened
Hell, I'd settle for two of my five: Jet Set Radio Future and Panzer Dragoon Orta. Gun Valkyrie and Otogi 1 & 2 are the others.. but JSRF and PDO are my absolute favorite Xbox games by far.

That's why I'd be worried about PS3 software emulation.. a large chunk of my PS1 and PS2 collections are fairly obscure titles (not to mention imports). Hell, the imports alone would probably require me to keep a PS2 as I'd imagine any type of workaround to play imports on a PS3 will immediately be squashed by firmware updates.
Old 03-01-07, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well my hope for a future PS3 purchase (it's going to be a while) is that the BC is near 100% as my PS2 doesn't have much life left in it and I can't really see forking over another $100-$129 for another PS2 especially since my current system is a launch one and it has lasted me this long. I would be a shame to have to replace it plus buy a PS3 for my game library.

The only thing that even keeps my Xbox hooked up these days is the fact that Unreal Championship 2 isn't BC. My 360 and its games are more than enough to make me forget about almost every original Xbox title I own but damn I NEED my UC2.

Lets just keep our collective fingers crossed that Sony can produce a high level of BC because chances are when my PS2 I'll be making the switch.
Old 03-01-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
I just read that Tekken: DR went live yesterday with the new update. Has anyone downloaded it yet? I definitely will when I get home tonight.
Old 03-01-07, 01:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm holding on to my PS2.
Old 03-01-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by noonan4224
Has anyone else played a movie since updating to 1.54? It looks like the controls changed. Before I could use the d-pad or left analog to rewind or fast-forward. That no longer works. Now I have to use the L2 and R2 buttons and use Start to Play instead of X like I used to.

Yeah,

I noticed that too. At first I thought my controller was broken. I'm glad to see it was just do to the update.
Old 03-01-07, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sony settles with Immersion, rumble is back!

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070301/sfth075.html?.v=79
Old 03-01-07, 04:45 PM
Suspended

So, wait... all this talk about rumble being last gen and a shitty feature will suddenly be trumpeted and heralded in a triumphant return?
Old 03-01-07, 04:49 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL talk about right hand not knowing what the left is doing.
Old 03-01-07, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some info about the rumored Playstation Home that will be announced at GDC:

freakyguy666: Has anyone else heard the rumors of a major Sony Online upgrade? Apparently the update will make the Xbox LIVE interface look antiquated in comparison. Apparently the interface is set up like a Virtual Town where each user has their own virtual apartment. Within your apartment you store your collection of acheivements and virtual trophies to show off to any "visitors" (i.e. people on your Friends list). Your friends could visit you if you are "home" (i.e. online)and once inside they could "walk around" your apartment and view how you've decorated your place. But more importantly, they could listen to any music or watch videos that you've got in your place (i.e. content you've stored on your PS3). Furthermore, your friends could join you for a game of cards or other simple games while listening to your music or even running a movie on your virtual TV (again using data on your PS3 HD). Once outside of your apartment you could visit the virtual Movie Theater to download--what else?--video content, visit the virtual Arcade, and other more exciting areas that I'm not at liberty to discuss yet...

The bottomline is that the interface is going to get a major overhaul and it's supposed to be very slick and user friendly. It will make apparent the advantages of the PS3 hardware and--dare I say--the new Sony Online Network.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.