Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Please recommend a "platform" game for the PS2. Details in post.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-06, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all-

My wife and I have the PS2 and love games like Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, etc. We most recently played Psychonauts and absolutely loved it.

Others that we have tried, but not really enjoyed, are games in the Rayman and Sly Cooper series.

Any recommendations for other games that are similar to this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-18-06, 05:54 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You hit pretty much all of the good ones...have you played all three Ratchet and Clank games?
Old 12-18-06, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
You hit pretty much all of the good ones...have you played all three Ratchet and Clank games?
Yeah, so there's nothing else? Bummer.
Old 12-18-06, 06:03 PM
Retired

I'm drawing a blank, Ratchet and Clank, the Jak Series, Sly Cooper, Rayman and Psychonauts are all the decent ones I can think of (I'm a big platformer fan myself).
Old 12-19-06, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My wife sounds just like yours. My advice would be to buy a gamecube. My wife loves alot of games on that system. (Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, Harvest Moon, Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Party...etc)
Old 12-19-06, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try the "Ty the Tasmanian Tiger" series
Old 12-19-06, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
While more action/adventure than platformers, I can't recommend the Prince of Persia games enough, namely the Sands of Time. Klonoa 2 is also well liked, but I was never a big fan, and it may be difficult to track down.

I enjoyed Rayman 2, the followup (Hoodlum whatever) was crappy though, I also never got into Sly Cooper. Jak and Daxter is a solid series though nowhere near as creative as Ratchet and Clank. Kingdom Hearts is an RPG but has a lot of platformer elements, and a more typical-of-the-genre battle system. ICO is also more puzzle than platformer, but worth a look.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-19-06 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-19-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 970 Likes on 702 Posts
I'd check out Beyond Good & Evil. Not quite as much as a platform game as the others, but it's amazing and was greatly overlooked.
Old 12-19-06, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a pretty tough game, but I enjoyed Maximo quite a bit...and I consider it a platformer.
Old 12-19-06, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the input. I'll check out some of the titles mentioned above.

We tried Maximo, and I'd say that game is more than "pretty tough." It's next to impossible simply because they hardly ever let you save your progress.
Old 12-19-06, 11:19 AM

It seems you're into cartoony platform games. This is not exactly in that mold, but I would give God of War a shot. It's a great platform game, with great production values all around. It's one platform game on the ps2 that makes me stare in awe at the beauty of the game.
Old 12-19-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eelkram
It seems you're into cartoony platform games. This is not exactly in that mold, but I would give God of War a shot. It's a great platform game, with great production values all around. It's one platform game on the ps2 that makes me stare in awe at the beauty of the game.
Some platform elements here and there, but God of War is not a platformer. At it's heart, it's just a button masher...albeit a pretty one. It actually reminded me a lot of the Lord of the Rings games.
Old 12-19-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Double Down
We tried Maximo, and I'd say that game is more than "pretty tough." It's next to impossible simply because they hardly ever let you save your progress.

Fair enough.

I've never looked, and I can't at work, but if there are any good cheat codes for Maximo, it would be a blast to play through.
Old 12-19-06, 11:57 AM
Banned

God of War a platformer??

God of War is an action game. A few platforming segments does not mean it is a platformer. God of War is 90% action and 10% platforming.
Old 12-20-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
lego starwars. Its a good couples game also.
Old 12-21-06, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chess
It's a pretty tough game, but I enjoyed Maximo quite a bit...and I consider it a platformer.

loved Maximo, a platformer, but a little fancier with the combat than most. And tough.
Old 12-21-06, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maximo 2 was supposedly a little easier than the first one (I haven't played this one yet). I really liked the first one. It definitely was a little hard, but well worth it. I second Beyond Good & Evil. Very good game. A little short (even with all the extras to collect), but still good. Apparently there's a new R&C game coming out for PSP...I'm not sure if there's any way to play PSP games on the PS2 though.
Old 12-21-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier...

The three Crash Bandicoot games for PS1 are all top notch platformers IMO, and they even hold up well graphically. I can't imagine they'd be too expensive used...probably dirt cheap. They're designed by the same folks who made Jak and Daxter...which is the engine used for Ratchet and Clank.

Stay away from later Crash games though.
Old 12-21-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just checked...and they all go for $5 or less on Half.com

Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Crash Bandicoot Warped

...are the 3 you'd want.
Old 12-21-06, 12:12 PM

Just checked...and they all go for $5 or less on Half.com

Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Crash Bandicoot Warped

...are the 3 you'd want.
Thanks, I really appreciate the fact that you went through all that, but we've already played all those. I didn't mention them before because, as you pointed out, they're all PS1 games. They were a lot of fun, though. I wish the Crash games for the PS2 were even half as good.
Old 12-21-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, I really appreciate the fact that you went through all that, but we've already played all those. I didn't mention them before because, as you pointed out, they're all PS1 games. They were a lot of fun, though. I wish the Crash games for the PS2 were even half as good.
Wasn't sure whether you'd owned a PS1, and it occurred to me that some PS1 games might fit the bill. I enjoyed the first 3D Gex game for PS1 as well (Enter the Gecko?). Tomba! was really good too, but you'd pay big $ for it. Ape Escape was pretty cool, and 2 & 3 were both on the PS2, though I've never played them. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night has a lot of platformer elements as well.

Rayman 2 was really good on the Dreamcast, and I believe the PS2 version was improved slightly. I know you mentioned that you didn't enjoy Rayman all that much, but I'm not sure if that's the one you tried. I haven't really liked any others myself.

I think somebody already said it, but if you never had a N64, it was a great platformer machine with Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie and Tooie, Conker, Kirby, and almost platformer and best game ever Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Gamecubes are getting cheaper too.

And don't even get me started on the GBA/DS!!! That little machine is platformer heaven with 5 Marios, Peach, Yoshi, 2 Kirbys, 2 Metroids, 5 Castlevanias....

Last edited by chess; 12-21-06 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-21-06, 02:12 PM

Wasn't sure whether you'd owned a PS1, and it occurred to me that some PS1 games might fit the bill. I enjoyed the first 3D Gex game for PS1 as well (Enter the Gecko?). Tomba! was really good too, but you'd pay big $ for it. Ape Escape was pretty cool, and 2 & 3 were both on the PS2, though I've never played them. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night has a lot of platformer elements as well.

Rayman 2 was really good on the Dreamcast, and I believe the PS2 version was improved slightly. I know you mentioned that you didn't enjoy Rayman all that much, but I'm not sure if that's the one you tried. I haven't really liked any others myself.

I think somebody already said it, but if you never had a N64, it was a great platformer machine with Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie and Tooie, Conker, Kirby, and almost platformer and best game ever Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Gamecubes are getting cheaper too.
We had all the PS1 games you mentioned. I'm pretty sure the Rayman that we tried was Rayman 2. I'll double check.

I'll also take a look at Castlevania.

And don't even get me started on the GBA/DS!!! That little machine is platformer heaven.
Funny you'd mention that. I just bought one for my wife that I'm giving her as a Christmas gift, along with New Super Mario (DS) and Zelda (GBA). I've got about 5 or 6 other games in my "save for later" cart at Amazon, too.
Old 12-21-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We had all the PS1 games you mentioned. I'm pretty sure the Rayman that we tried was Rayman 2. I'll double check.

I'll also take a look at Castlevania.
If it was Rayman 2, give it some time...it gets really good past the first level or two. Symphony of the Night is pretty pricey...and ultimately no better than the GBA Castlevanias...other than the music.

Funny you'd mention that. I just bought one for my wife that I'm giving her as a Christmas gift, along with New Super Mario (DS) and Zelda (GBA). I've got about 5 or 6 other games in my "save for later" cart at Amazon, too.
You posted while I was editing, so I'll repeat...5 Marios, Peach, 2 Yoshis, 4 Kirbys, 2 Metroids, 5 Castlevanias....on and on.