Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Child is arrested for opening Christmas gift early

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-06, 04:29 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Rock Hill, S.C., woman called police and asked them to arrest her son who opened a Christmas present early after being told not to, the Rock Hill Herald reported. Police went to the house and arrested the boy and charged him with petty larceny.

The paper reported that the boy’s great-grandmother had specifically told him not to open his present, which contained a Nintendo Game Boy Advance. It was wrapped and lying under the Christmas tree, the police report stated.

But on Sunday morning, the gift was unwrapped and the box was empty. So when the boy’s mother found out, she alerted police, the paper reported.

“He took it without permission. He wanted it. He just took it,” said the 63-year-old great-grandmother told the Herald.

The women said that the boy lied to them at first, saying he was unaware of where the video game system was. After threat of calling the police, the boy apparently gave the toy back to his mother, the paper reported. But the upset mother called police anyway.
Old 12-06-06, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Well, it does seem silly and a waste of time for the cops but then again the kid did lie after taking it. NOW, not when he's 20, is the time to hammer in the idea that telling lies and stealing is unacceptable. Hopefully the experience scared the shit out of him and set him straight.
Old 12-06-06, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The mother plans to have her son placed with the state Department of Juvenile Justice in Columbia at his court appearance, the Herald reported.
Gee, the mother is 27, the son is 12, and the GREAT-Grandmother is 62. I wonder where this kid has learned this type of behaviour, since he comes from such an outstanding family. Probably the best hope for the kid is for him to be taken out of that home since it would seem the mother is rather pathetic at her job.
Old 12-06-06, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Be a parent and discipline your child. The police have better things to do.
Old 12-06-06, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
She said he has shoplifted, stolen money from her, punched a police officer and is nearing expulsion from school.
Sounds like this kid needed a wakeup call. The parent clearly needed to discipline the kid before he was this old though. I guessing the father is no where to be found.
Old 12-06-06, 08:21 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
They need a new show: "Tazed Straight".
Old 12-06-06, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Look like this kid is going to get just a lump of coal on X-mas.
Old 12-06-06, 09:44 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Originally Posted by dom56
Look like this kid is going to get just a lump of coal on X-mas.
or some soap on a rope.
Old 12-06-06, 10:15 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Screw you, grandma... I wanted a DS anyway."
Old 12-06-06, 10:16 AM
Banned

What kid hasn't tried to open Christmas gifts early? When I was growing up, I would make very small tears on one end so that I could peek inside and try to decipher what it was. Then I would put a small piece of tape over the tear and turn the gift so that the torn end was away from view, and I hoped my parents would never notice. They never said anything so I assume they never did.
Old 12-06-06, 10:22 AM

Wow. Can't believe they actually arrested a kid...
Old 12-06-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They can teach the kid a lesson by selling it since they won't be able to return it since it's open. I've seen ads on Craigslist and Ebay saying they are selling the system to teach their kid a lesson.
Old 12-06-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

my brother did this with a sega game gear. he unwrapped it, took it out of the box, rewrapped the empty box, and played with it for a few weeks before it was found in his room. too bad he wasn't arrested.
Old 12-06-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by taffer
When I was growing up, I would make very small tears on one end so that I could peek inside and try to decipher what it was. Then I would put a small piece of tape over the tear and turn the gift so that the torn end was away from view, and I hoped my parents would never notice. They never said anything so I assume they never did.
no, no, no. what you are supposed to do is slice the tape itself, not the paper. this way when you seal it back up the new tape goes directly over the old tape.
Old 12-06-06, 11:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
no, no, no. what you are supposed to do is slice the tape itself, not the paper. this way when you seal it back up the new tape goes directly over the old tape.
I admit I was a stupid kid. I always did things the hard way.
Old 12-06-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by coladar
Gee, the mother is 27, the son is 12, and the GREAT-Grandmother is 62. I wonder where this kid has learned this type of behaviour, since he comes from such an outstanding family. Probably the best hope for the kid is for him to be taken out of that home since it would seem the mother is rather pathetic at her job.
She had the kid when she was 15?!? Yeah, the kid should've been put up for adoption.
Old 12-06-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the mother couldn't wait until she was of legal age to open her legs, why should the kid have to wait to open his gift?
Old 12-06-06, 11:53 AM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Lunatikk
my brother did this with a sega game gear. he unwrapped it, took it out of the box, rewrapped the empty box, and played with it for a few weeks before it was found in his room. too bad he wasn't arrested.
Old 12-06-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He sounds like what he really needed for Christmas was a butt-whooping, and that's a gift he could unwrap early and often. It was stupid to call the police.
Old 12-06-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer
What kid hasn't tried to open Christmas gifts early? When I was growing up, I would make very small tears on one end so that I could peek inside and try to decipher what it was. Then I would put a small piece of tape over the tear and turn the gift so that the torn end was away from view, and I hoped my parents would never notice. They never said anything so I assume they never did.

That's what I did, too. Except I wasn't smart enough to re-tape the hole.
Old 12-06-06, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The mother plans to have her son placed with the state Department of Juvenile Justice in Columbia at his court appearance, the Herald reported.
Too bad they don't have a three strikes you're dead policy in S.C.
Old 12-06-06, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wish, in situations like these, that the police could actually exercise some judgement on their part. I think that kid has bigger problems the mother needs to deal with but considering the age she was when she had him, the kid is already doomed.
Old 12-06-06, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm amazed by the number of parents who think this sort of thing is a good idea. Don't start your kids off with a record that will never truly disappear. Juvenile offenses can make a surprising difference in what adults who commit crimes get in terms of sentences.
Old 12-06-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by abrg923
If the mother couldn't wait until she was of legal age to open her legs, why should the kid have to wait to open his gift?
Old 12-06-06, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maybe he should have been shot by an SUV driver

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.