Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Zelda: Do the new controls improve the experience?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-06, 11:17 AM
tpc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a question: I've never been a huge Zelda fan. They've always been a bit long for my attention span, and seemed a bit ponderous. I'm considering getting the Twilight Princess this evening, and was curious if the new controls enhance the experience at all. As someone who didn't really get into the older Zelda games, does this one offer a new enough experience that it might be worth a shot?

I'm not worried as much about the cost of the game, as I think I'll be able to recoup most of my loss via sale or with a good trade if it's not for me.
Old 11-30-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YES. Yes, they do.

But if you haven't liked Zelda before the controls won't really change that.
Old 11-30-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I feel they do.

Here is a previously unseen (by me) benefit of the Wii controller type: By seperating the control into seperate hands I can actually rest my hands on my leg as I play, versus the old controller style of centering and holding the controller over my crotch. It sounds lazy, but based on the amount of "movement" attention the Wii get in advertising I thought this was worth mentioning.
Old 11-30-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
YES. Yes, they do.

But if you haven't liked Zelda before the controls won't really change that.
That's exactly how I was going to respond. It's an incremental improvement to the Zelda formula, but if you don't like that formula in the first place, I can't see how the controls would sway your opinion.
Old 11-30-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Overall, they're great. Especially with aiming.

My biggest complaint is with some of the "special" moves you learn throughout the game. They just suck. I spent about 5 minutes last night trying to prove I had mastered the previous one (the back slice). Just couldn't do it and am dreading requiring it in actual battle.

For instance, the shield push where you jab the remote forward to hit the enemy with your shield. 90% of the time Link will do a spin attack. It just doesn't work for me and I'm hoping that's a side effect of transitioning a GCN game to Wii controls at the end of the development cycle. I really, REALLY hope Metroid Prime 3 is more responsive with all the nunchuck movement I've seen in videos.

For Zelda, running, slashing, and aiming are all real treats.
Old 11-30-06, 12:21 PM
Retired

Agree with what's above.

They do enhance the experience, but if you haven't liked the past games the controls won't change that as it is the same type of game just with a different control scheme.

It's actually a bit longer than the past games, so that could be a negative for you given what you said about losing interest in the prior ones.
Old 11-30-06, 12:42 PM
tpc

I'm not so much concerned about the length. It's not that I'm ADD-stricken or anything. I just have a hard time getting into the Zelda games. I'm thinking the more immersive controls might help that.

I'm looking for a more in-depth single player experience on the Wii. I've seen its awesome potential as a multiplayer system, but much of the launch titles aren't really what I'd call "deep." The only games I'd really consider as options at this point would be Zelda, COD3 and Red Steel.

Given that Red Steel has kind of been panned at this point, Zelda almost wins by default. I'm probably going to pick it up and try it out with an open mind. If I don't like it... well, that's why we have a trading forum, I guess.
Old 11-30-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

ah really

I didn't like Ocarina or Windwaker, but LOVED Link to the Past. I assumed this one would be different...
Old 11-30-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tpc
I'm not so much concerned about the length. It's not that I'm ADD-stricken or anything. I just have a hard time getting into the Zelda games. I'm thinking the more immersive controls might help that.

I'm looking for a more in-depth single player experience on the Wii. I've seen its awesome potential as a multiplayer system, but much of the launch titles aren't really what I'd call "deep." The only games I'd really consider as options at this point would be Zelda, COD3 and Red Steel.

Given that Red Steel has kind of been panned at this point, Zelda almost wins by default. I'm probably going to pick it up and try it out with an open mind. If I don't like it... well, that's why we have a trading forum, I guess.
Red Steel has gotten some harsh reviews, but I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit. The controls are touchy, but it's still a fun experience. It's like being in a cheesy action movie. Given the mixed reviews, it's probably wise to rent it before you buy it. With all that said, Zelda is a much, much better game - not even in the same league as Red Steel. If you do pick up Zelda, try to give it a few hours before you give up on it. It starts out a little slow, since it's trying to get you used to the controls, but it really picks up once you get to the first dungeon.
Old 11-30-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll be the first to say that they actually take away from the game, in my opinion.
Old 11-30-06, 01:02 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
ah really

I didn't like Ocarina or Windwaker, but LOVED Link to the Past. I assumed this one would be different...

It's most like Ocarina for sure. It's a bit more action oriented (once you get a few hours in) and much bigger and grander in scale. But it could be seen as a direct sequel (not story wise) to Ocarina for sure.
Old 11-30-06, 01:04 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by abrg923
I'll be the first to say that they actually take away from the game, in my opinion.

How long have you played? I had a similar impression for the first several hours, but now that I've gotten to the point that the seem second nature I love them and don't want to go back to button presses and aiming with analog sticks.

I'd kind of parallel it to Mario 64. It took me a long time to get used the the analog stick and 3D control in general, but was amazing after that few hour learning curve.
Old 11-30-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd be interested in hearing why you feel this way.
Old 11-30-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
I'd be interested in hearing why you feel this way.
I dunno...it just doesn't feel natural to me.

Granted, I haven't played very long, so my thoughts could change.
Old 11-30-06, 01:24 PM
Retired

I dunno...it just doesn't feel natural to me.

Granted, I haven't played very long, so my thoughts could change.

They should change, as per my post above. They just take some getting used to before it feels natural.
Old 11-30-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Like Josh, I had a learning curve. I was still hitting A to swing my sword and getting my ass handed to me. Once you get used to it, it's pretty all right. What it gives you far outweighs whatever you can argue it "took away".
Old 12-01-06, 09:00 AM
tpc

I picked this up last night. I've had a good time with it in the hour or so that I played. I didn't get real deep into it, but the controls are nice.
Old 12-01-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After playing it for another night...everyone that's said it takes some time is right. I was pretty disappointed early on...now I'm completely hooked.
Old 12-01-06, 01:29 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I think they do. It's a lot of fun playing it with the new controls. They make you feel like you're actually a part of Link's quest. I love it.