Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Spore Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spore Question

I've been reading all the reviews I can find about the upcoming Maxis game Spore. I can't wait for this game to come out, but there's something I can't figure out.... Is it online, or offline? Or is it an offline game that you can go online to play as well (like that Dreamcast game "Phantasy Star" a while back)? Does anyone know?
Old 11-23-06, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I think it's an offline game with online elements.
Old 11-23-06, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
I think it's an offline game with online elements.
That's pretty much right.

From what I've read, the game is entirely offline, as far as playing goes. You'll never directly interact with another player, conquer their planet, or anything like that.

What the game does do, though, is send any creatures/buildings/etc that you create to other players and populate their game world with them. So as you're coming up through the game, other animals that you encounter will have been created by other players, and other players will run into animals that look like the ones you've made, but they'll always be computer controlled.
Old 12-03-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's a pretty interesting idea. It gives the game a HUGELY wide range of creatures, with no effort on the part of the developers (Maxis), he he he... I still can't wait to get it though.
Old 12-03-06, 02:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm sure it will come pre-populated with ready made creatures, because not everyone has online with their PC and/or Wii (yes, it's coming to the Wii and the DS, color me excited!).
Old 12-03-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xVladx
That's pretty much right.

From what I've read, the game is entirely offline, as far as playing goes. You'll never directly interact with another player, conquer their planet, or anything like that.

What the game does do, though, is send any creatures/buildings/etc that you create to other players and populate their game world with them. So as you're coming up through the game, other animals that you encounter will have been created by other players, and other players will run into animals that look like the ones you've made, but they'll always be computer controlled.
You actually will be able to conquer other peoples planets, but it still won't have any effect on their gameplay. From what I read, the entire galaxy is filled up with player made planets.