Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

For the poor souls who couldn't get a PS3/Wii at launch - restock rumors/facts HERE

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

For the poor souls who couldn't get a PS3/Wii at launch - restock rumors/facts HERE

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
This is a fantastic story.
you bet
Old 11-26-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
I got to best buy a little after 8am and was number 28 when they handed out numbers at 9. They ended up having 42 units. now i can begin my search for an extra wiimote.
Old 11-26-06, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by amped
Just picked up mine from Best Buy

Arrived at 5am this morning, was number 4 in line, BB was only selling 42. I believe lucky 42 arrived between 8:30 and 9am.
Thanks to everyone that posted on BestBuy, this particular post inspired me to hop in the car and get there right at 8:30, I was 40th in line and they had 42 systems. Kids are now cleaning the house before it gets hooked up (have to take advantage of them). I'm off to play Zelda!

BTW, the BestBuy in Antioch California handled things very well. It was orderly, they took names, let us in 4 at a time and handled things way better than I could have hoped. Kudos to BestBuy, support them and buy your games there if you got lucky today!
Old 11-26-06, 03:10 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to see that Nintendo apparently shipped pretty big numbers, which is impressive a week after launch.
Old 11-26-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Good to see that Nintendo apparently shipped pretty big numbers, which is impressive a week after launch.
Absolutely! Congratulations everyone! Enjoy your newly acquired Wiis... look forward to reading about your impressions in the other thread.
Old 11-26-06, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
If this continues I imagine a Wii will be possible to get soon. Waiting an hour or so isn't really that bad, considering the alternatives.
Old 11-26-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
If this continues I imagine a Wii will be possible to get soon. Waiting an hour or so isn't really that bad, considering the alternatives.
I guess my area's the opposite of everywhere else...got only 16 Wiis, and the shortest a person had to wait was about 3 1/2 hours.
Old 11-26-06, 05:26 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by abrg923
I guess my area's the opposite of everywhere else...got only 16 Wiis, and the shortest a person had to wait was about 3 1/2 hours.
Well, it is Indiana.
Old 11-26-06, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, it is Indiana.
Indeed.

I have to admit, though...after waiting ten hours, it made me laugh to see the people come up at 9:45 expecting to get a Wii.
Old 11-26-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like alot of stores around here are getting another shipment this Friday, including the Wal-Mart in town, so I'm crossing my fingers that my wait will end Friday.

Then the next problem will be getting it away from my dad. He's already wanting it too because of the golf game in Wii Sports.
Old 11-26-06, 07:51 PM

[/QUOTE]PS: Best part is that I already have a Wii/Zelda coming next week from JC Penny so I can make $150-$200 selling it on eBAY and STILL have a Wii! Uh, Wiiiiiii![/QUOTE]

Or you could sell it to a member who is looking for one, (like me)for a $100 profit.
Old 11-26-06, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Missed getting one this morning at BB. I think if they had 10 more, I would have gotten one. That said, they must have had close to 40.
Old 11-27-06, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

had 16, i was 18th in line

i am starting to get frustrated now. this is mainly for my kids for christmas, but i think i have given up on searching, calling and waiting. if i happen into a store that has one before christmas i will get it, but if these things aren't plentiful sometime before christmas, and i don't get one to give to them, i'm not going to be getting one at all....
Old 11-27-06, 01:12 AM

Same for me sooner. I was 17th and they had 16. Apparently they would have had 21, but had to ship 5 to another store who had screwed up and sold them early. I'm not that stressed about it. I was hoping to get one for my kid for Christmas and had some extra time this morning. I'm not out anything, but 2.5 hours of freezing.

I genuinely hope that the guys in front of me that all got one really enjoy it and actually use the thing. There were some diehards behind me that seemed pretty depressed. I was sort of depressed, but only because I missed by just 1.

Oh well. That's life. There are plenty of other great Christmas gifts out there that I can buy.
Old 11-27-06, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got to my best buy at about 7am, number 14 in line, handed out tix like everywhere else. they had 42 systems! woooooooot! I'm so excited.

dumb question, what do I need to connect to the net? I didn't see that it came with a cable, did I miss it?
Old 11-27-06, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by db27
I got to my best buy at about 7am, number 14 in line, handed out tix like everywhere else. they had 42 systems! woooooooot! I'm so excited.

dumb question, what do I need to connect to the net? I didn't see that it came with a cable, did I miss it?
The Wii uses WiFi.
Old 11-27-06, 07:45 AM
tpc

i managed to get my Wii at launch at target, but my good friend had been wanting one since launch and had been denied. i drug him out of bed at 6 am. it's a little haul to our nearest best buy, so we grabbed some breakfast and got in line around 7 am. Word of mouth was that they had 63 units, and we were a cool 25th in line, so we figured we were good.

the line was well organized, and they kept it running through the store (which they conveniently snaked down the Wii game aisle, and back up through the accessories (which was pretty much bare). I did watch a guy pay like 52 bucks for a 512 mb sd card, though. I considered explaining to him that it was a ripoff, but in this day and age, i don't feel the need to tell people how to spend their money.

We got the Wii. Everyone is happy now.

The one thing i liked is that this is my second Wii line, and not once did i hear the word eBay in either line.
Old 11-27-06, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm still waiting for GameRush to get some...have lots o' credit there
Old 11-27-06, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great, the one day I couldn't wait in line and it looks like that was the best day to do it. I guess I just have to hope that I walk into a store now and see a wii sitting on a shelf if I want to get one.
Old 11-27-06, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
The Wii uses WiFi.

hmm, ok so what if I don't have signal at my house? am I SOL? I have a switch I could plug an ethernet cable or device into.
Old 11-27-06, 08:31 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by db27
hmm, ok so what if I don't have signal at my house? am I SOL? I have a switch I could plug an ethernet cable or device into.

Two options.

1. Buy the Nintendo USB WiFi dongle. Plug that into a PC hooked up to the internet and it will sent out a WiFi signal for the Wii/DS.

2 Buy the Nintendo USB ethernet adapter, and you can plug that into the Wii and then an ethernet cable into that.

And there's always the third option, which is cheaper if you find a good deal.

3. Just buy a cheap Wireless router.
Old 11-27-06, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Two options.

1. Buy the Nintendo USB WiFi dongle. Plug that into a PC hooked up to the internet and it will sent out a WiFi signal for the Wii/DS.

2 Buy the Nintendo USB ethernet adapter, and you can plug that into the Wii and then an ethernet cable into that.

And there's always the third option, which is cheaper if you find a good deal.

Thanks my friend I appreciate that! I now have my mission for the day. I was planning on going to EB to dump my gamecube for credit, perhaps I'll be able to find something there.
Old 11-27-06, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc
had 16, i was 18th in line

i am starting to get frustrated now. this is mainly for my kids for christmas, but i think i have given up on searching, calling and waiting. if i happen into a store that has one before christmas i will get it, but if these things aren't plentiful sometime before christmas, and i don't get one to give to them, i'm not going to be getting one at all....
too bad you weren't in tulsa... at the smaller best buy here they had 30 consoles.. i showed up at 6am but i dont think there were 30 people in line til 8ish.
Old 11-27-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Clearly the smartest way to go. Unless you're using dial-up in which case, you'd never get it to work anyway.
Old 11-27-06, 02:07 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

GameStop in Tyngsborro, MA just got a shipment in today of PlayStation 3. Finally picked one up!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.