Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official PS3 thread - Part 3

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-06, 12:14 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Yeah - but 20 minutes later the sign was gone and I was able to FINALLY get one added to my cart. Only to have the whole site crash on me. Weak.
The whole site is down. PS3 killed Costco. Horray!
Old 11-17-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it would be really cool if a bunch of people put up fake PS3 auctions on ebay to increase the supply and drive down the price. just take them down before they finish and relist
Old 11-17-06, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarantino
I think the eBay market will get watered down a bit (for legit buyers and sellers) and a lot of these people will be disappointed.

= J

I hope your right.
Old 11-17-06, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
it would be really cool if a bunch of people put up fake PS3 auctions on ebay to increase the supply and drive down the price. just take them down before they finish and relist
Supposedly EBay is now requiring PS3 sellers to include a unique photo of their PS3 and the all important receipt showing actual purchase of the product. I think that is a good idea.

Chris
Old 11-17-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went into my local Gamestop at noon today demanding to be sold every PS3 they had. The Manager just laughed at me. I'll never go back there!
Old 11-17-06, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, today will go down as a lucky day for me.

I was coming back from work and stopped a the local super target to buy some milk and pizzas when I decided to go and pick up a new DS game for an upcoming trip. Long story short, the store had a couple PS3 units left in the case. So I bought one and will be ebaying in the coming weeks. (Buyers are limted to 1 console a piece)

Lucky I am.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 11-17-06 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-17-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

AP) -- Wal-Mart Stores Inc. said Thursday that a staff member for former Sen. John Edwards -- a vocal critic of the retailer -- asked his local Wal-Mart store for help in getting the potential 2008 presidential candidate a Sony PlayStation 3. Edwards said a volunteer did so by mistake.

Edwards said that the volunteer "feels terrible" about seeking the game unit at Wal-Mart a day after his boss criticized the company, saying it doesn't treat its employees fairly.

"My wife, Elizabeth, wanted to get a PlayStation 3 for my young children. She mentioned it in front of one of my staff people," Edwards said. "That staff person mentioned it in front of a volunteer who said he would make an effort to get one. He was making an effort to go get one for himself. (Watch a stampede erupt at a PS3 release in Wisconsin -- 1:05 )

"Elizabeth and I knew nothing about this. He feels terrible about this. He made a mistake, and he knows he should not have used my name," Edwards said.

Edwards said the volunteer was "a young kid" unaware of what he called flawed Wal-Mart policies. He called the Wal-Mart statement an effort to divert attention from its own problems.

After Wal-Mart this summer hired Edelman executive Leslie Dach as its public relations director and put him on the company's executive team, analysts said the retailer would likely become more aggressive toward its critics.

Wal-Mart had noted in a news release Thursday that on the same day Edwards was criticizing the company in a conference call with union-backed activists, the volunteer staff member had asked a Raleigh, North Carolina, electronics department manager to obtain a PS3 for the ex-senator's family.

From Wal-Mart headquarters in Bentonville, Arkansas, company spokesman David Tovar said the person who called left a voicemail at the Raleigh store and identified himself as an Edwards staff member. When the manager returned the call, the staff member again identified himself as working for Edwards, and Wal-Mart said it confirmed that with Edwards' office.

The retailer's news release accused Edwards of not wanting to wait his turn.

"While the rest of America's working families are waiting patiently in line, Senator Edwards wants to cut to the front," the Wal-Mart statement said. (See how gamers across the country waited)

The PlayStation 3 console is set to go on sale Friday.

Edwards, the Democrats' vice presidential candidate in 2004, spoke Wednesday to supporters of union-backed WakeUpWalMart.com on a conference call launching the group's holiday season campaign to pressure Wal-Mart for better labor standards.

In the call, he repeated a story about his son Jack disapproving of a classmate buying sneakers at Wal-Mart. "If a 6-year-old can figure it out, America can definitely figure this out," Edwards said.

Previously, Edwards has appeared at WakeUpWalMart rallies.

Old 11-17-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope you don't take this as a PS3 flame. It's just funny:

Old 11-17-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are nearly 11,000 PS3 auctions on eBay right now.

= J
Old 11-17-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
There are nearly 11,000 PS3 auctions on eBay right now.

= J

That's why I'm waiting until middle of december.
Old 11-17-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
"While the rest of America's working families are waiting patiently in line, Senator Edwards wants to cut to the front," the Wal-Mart statement said. (See how gamers across the country waited)
That's awesome.
Old 11-17-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OUCH.

http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...560635,00.html
Old 11-17-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Apparently someone at Time couldn't get his hands on a PS3 either
Old 11-17-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^

"I'm sorry, but naming a computer chip is like naming your genitals: you're compensating for something."

Old 11-17-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Video of the guy that smacked into a flagpole while racing for a PS3 spot:

http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/v...676/index.html

The moron manager that decided to setup this race should be bounced into the flagpole. What a stupid idea.
Old 11-17-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Time is owned by Time Warner which is on the HD-DVD consortium. Do they have any Blu-Ray movies out?
Old 11-17-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by al_bundy
Time is owned by Time Warner which is on the HD-DVD consortium. Do they have any Blu-Ray movies out?
Yes they do.
Old 11-17-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
http://www.blu-raydisc.com/

See their logo? Lower right.
Old 11-17-06, 02:13 PM
Suspended

You know as long as I can upgrade the HDD and the come out with a USB Wifi adapter like XBOX 360s, I'm okay with the 20gb PS3 I got. I didn't like how the 60gb had the chrome trim on the front. The 20gb is all black (except for the lettering). It's too bad they didn't include a bluray that would really show off the media more than visually. The Talladega Nights bluray has no special features.
Old 11-17-06, 02:42 PM

Anyone watching the PS3 auctions on ebay? Every one of them are getting screwed by new bidders that are fucking up the auctions. When I pre-ordered my PS3 I was going to keep it. Then with all the bad press, the multitude of problems that kept poping up, I just figured that I would ebay it. Now it seems like more of a hassle to weed out the bullshit bids. Maybe I won't list the damn thing and just keep it.
Old 11-17-06, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Binger
Anyone watching the PS3 auctions on ebay? Every one of them are getting screwed by new bidders that are fucking up the auctions. When I pre-ordered my PS3 I was going to keep it. Then with all the bad press, the multitude of problems that kept poping up, I just figured that I would ebay it. Now it seems like more of a hassle to weed out the bullshit bids. Maybe I won't list the damn thing and just keep it.
You really can't tell if new bidders are messing up the auctions. Dollars-to-doughnuts that there is a shill bidder on an overwhelming majority of those auctions. And if they aren't shills, then they're just goofing to raise the price.... there are a few auctions that are over $10,000.
Old 11-17-06, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

well, the guy at work here who got one had too low feedback to list a buy it now (which he wanted). We listed it on my account and it sold within 3 minutes for $1985.
Old 11-17-06, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
well, the guy at work here who got one had too low feedback to list a buy it now (which he wanted). We listed it on my account and it sold within 3 minutes for $1985.

Wow that is crazy.
Old 11-17-06, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Best part about it? The buyer has over 1000 feedback, none of which are negative.
Old 11-17-06, 03:25 PM

I saw over 2000 auctions with buy it now prices of OVER $3000 on Ebay for ps3. The ones ending today by regular bid seem to be closing just north of $2000. I agree that shill bids are a large problem, and probably 50%+ of ended auctions don't ever get paid. The price won't go up from here, but right now the Ebay price is 2 grand.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.