Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hype for GEARS OF WAR - are you in ?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Hype for GEARS OF WAR - are you in ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-06, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
God yes. I am looking forward to Gears of War more than COD3, Rainbow Six, and even my Wii system with Zelda. It's the online play that has me hyped for it, the single player is just a bonus.
Old 10-31-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
I'm even more pumped for it now. I burned the Gametrailers.com HD multiplayer videos to disk and watched them on my 360.

Wow.

This being the first actual look at how the game will look and play like on my TV, I must say this is the most incredible looking game I've seen.

It was torture watching the videos with my controller in hand and not being able to control the action on screen.

I highly recommend that everyone with any interest in GOW to download the trailers from gametrailers.com and watch them on your TV to truly see what the game will be like.
Old 10-31-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All the videos I've seen there doesn't seem to be too much action happening at once. I just see one or two enemies on screen at a time at the most. Also the multiplayer is only 4 on 4. Graphics are pretty good but to me there doesn't seem to be much action.
Old 10-31-06, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by thematahara
I'm even more pumped for it now. I burned the Gametrailers.com HD multiplayer videos to disk and watched them on my 360.

Wow.

This being the first actual look at how the game will look and play like on my TV, I must say this is the most incredible looking game I've seen.

It was torture watching the videos with my controller in hand and not being able to control the action on screen.

I highly recommend that everyone with any interest in GOW to download the trailers from gametrailers.com and watch them on your TV to truly see what the game will be like.

I am still amazed at the reaction people are having to these videos.

In fact, i MUST be looking at the wrong thing. Because they look kinda plain and medicore to me , graphics wise.

Can someone point me to the link where the HI RES HD trailers are? so i can re watch and maybe change my mind? I want to be as excited about it as everyone else, but im not -
Old 10-31-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by skiblet

In fact, i MUST be looking at the wrong thing. Because they look kinda plain and medicore to me , graphics wise.

Can someone point me to the link where the HI RES HD trailers are? so i can re watch and maybe change my mind? I want to be as excited about it as everyone else, but im not -
First page:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...14561&type=mov
Old 10-31-06, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If watching it the first time didn't impress you, watching it over and over again probably won't.
Old 10-31-06, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's not just the graphics that make me really excited for the game. It just seems really fun and intense in multiplayer. Also, after primarily playing Halo 2 on Live for so long I am looking for something different and more balanced. It looks like they really tried to balance this game by starting you with a rifle/shotgun combo and limiting the sniper to one shot before reload.
Old 10-31-06, 07:01 PM

I'm not buying into the hype, but I am looking forward to giving it a shot. Luckily i took advantage of the FYE trade in deal with some cheap games and got a sealed copy of The Godfather that I'll exchange for GOW. Otherwise I probably would have just rented the game or wait for a price drop.
Old 10-31-06, 07:31 PM

Here was my progression after clicking onto this thread...

1. Reads numerous negative reactions here to gametrailer's unbelievably fantastic videos
2. Checks date to make sure it's not April 1
3. Buys stock in companies specializing in rubber rooms and straight jackets
Old 10-31-06, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mod note: edited inappropriate comment. "Fanboy" comments are a no go here and people are allowed opinions.

Anyone that has seen HD multiplayer vids on gametrailers knows that graphically this game lays waste to any other next gen game, certainly from what I've seen. Hell, the single player game is supposed to look a bit better than multiplayer, which is hard to believe. If you can't see it, then nobody should waste time convincing you. Move onto another game and stop worrying about other people raving about a game you have no interest in.

As for Crysis looking better, of course it looks better. It's a DX10 game that will require a videocard that's probably twice the price of a 360.

Here was my progression after clicking onto this thread...

1. Reads numerous negative reactions here to gametrailer's unbelievably fantastic videos
2. Checks date to make sure it's not April 1
3. Buys stock in companies specializing in rubber rooms and straight jackets

Last edited by Liver&Onions; 10-31-06 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-31-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally Posted by skiblet

If you don't like the artistic style of the game, then yeah I agree you could see it as being mediocre. That said, from both an artistic and technical standpoint, the game looks and movies phenomenally well, second only to those Crysis tech demos. However, if you don't like the metallic/browned look of the game, theres nothing you can do to change it.

Who knows, it may just be the smooth action cam action that has me going. I can definitely see why some people wouldn't be impressed by it, but in terms of visual style/quality/performance, it's second to none in terms of console games. Linking to the videos isn't working right now, but check out Gears of War Multiplayer Video #7 in HD on www.gametrailers.com. The animation, imo, trumps the stage graphics, but that's generally the case in multiplayer mode. And the game does kind of look like Black on 'roids, hopefully that won't be the case.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-31-06 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-31-06, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Nope. Not big on shooters, and all I've seen and read on this game has done nothing to get me hyped for this one.

It does look great graphically, but the hide and shoot, hide and shoot, repeat ad nauseum gameplay looks pretty dull to me--again as a person that usually hates shooters.

i'm worried that the zooming in for aiming aspect will be headache inducing
Old 10-31-06, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 933 Likes on 658 Posts
One of the multiplayer vids I saw had overkill on the head bobbing which was hard to look at. Hopefully you can turn that off.
Old 11-01-06, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by thematahara

Wow.

Thanks for the suggestion I did this last night and Wow almost doesn't do it justice. I can't wait for this game, and some of the Emergence Day events sound cool, I'm hoping the gamer pic, and theme are better than the ones from the 'After Dark' event at GameStop.
Old 11-01-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hells yeah, I'm in. I saw the latest vid that was posted on the Marketplace and I did not believe that it was in-game footage. I thought it was a fully rendered FMV to drum up hype like we saw with Killzone a couple years ago. Apparently what we saw is in-game footage, and now every time I watch it my jaw hits the floor. Absolutely, I'll be there on Emergence Day.
Old 11-01-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was extremely excited about getting this game, until I bought PSU. I don't think ill actually buy this game until I'm done with that title
Old 11-01-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 258 Likes on 188 Posts
Originally Posted by kakihara1
COD3 comes out on the 7th along with GOW
GOW comes out on the 12th.
Old 11-01-06, 01:44 PM

The latest every retailer will have it is by the 12th. Some will have it as early as the 7th, so, with no hard street date, that's when the mass chainsawing begins.
Old 11-01-06, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With COD3 and Guitar Hero 2 coming out this month GOW will have to wait.
Old 11-01-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 258 Likes on 188 Posts
Ah yes, you're right. I see the microsoft site has it listed for the 7th. I wonder why the emergence day site has the 12th?
Either way, i just hope BB gets them in on time and doesn't lag behind several days like usual.
Old 11-01-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, Best Buy and CC are both advertising 11/8 as the in-store date for GoW. I'm picking up GoW, Guitar Hero II, and CoD 3 next week. Between that and the Wii launch, I've actually decided to cancel my Gameznflix account - I'll be overloaded even without any rented games.
Old 11-01-06, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

7th will be places like EBgames/Gamestop. Mass retailers will have it by the 12th - that's the day it should be available for anyone.
Old 11-01-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts
Depends on where you live on whether you'll get it on the 7th or not, that's the ship date.

Best Buy will have it around lunch (here at least) on the 8th, Circuit City before 5 PM.
Old 11-01-06, 02:00 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Yeah, Best Buy and CC are both advertising 11/8 as the in-store date for GoW. I'm picking up GoW, Guitar Hero II, and CoD 3 next week.
Ditto. Though I wish BestBuy would have it on the 7th as I have that day off of work.
Old 11-01-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My Mcdonalds Best Buy bucks are ready to go for GoW .. Shame we aren't getting the 360 version of Guitar Hero soon, as I really want that one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.