Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS3 or 360 and/or Wii?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-06, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by Setzer
And those SAME people stated the PS3 launch line-up has very few games and isn't that great BUT have no problem getting a Wii, which also has very few games and isn't that great. If you're going to tell people to hold off/not buy a console because 1)it's just coming out or 2)the launch line-up isn't great then don't contradict yourself by telling people to get another console that presents those same problems.

Uhhh. The OP wanted to know what was the best to buy right now. Who cares what the launch of Xbox 360 was as compared to the PS3. Fact is, as several have pointed out, there isn't really anything excluse on PS3's launch. And the stuff that is, doesn't look promising. They don't have a killer app at this point for launch. So, the better buy is obviously the Xbox. Is that so hard to comprehend?
Old 10-29-06, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Coral
MS has stated over and over that HD-DVD will NOT be used for games. DVD is more than enough for HD games.
Exactly. There is no way in hell MS will release a game that requires you to purchase a $200 add on. That is suicide.
Old 10-29-06, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Nope.

And when games for the 360 start coming on HD-DVD you're just going to not buy them even if they're titles like Halo, Fable, GTA, etc. Please.

At some point you're going to have to buy the add-on to play the latest and greatest. I really don't consider it a savings.

I doubt it but you're the expert.

You really don't read, do you. Microsoft has said there is no plans to release any games on HD-DVD at this point in time or the near future. Even so, say they go against their own words and do start releasing games in a year to 2 years. You don't think the price of the drive will have significantly dropped in price than the $200 it is now? So either way, it's not a negative for an Xbox 360 consumer.
Old 10-29-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Uhhh. The OP wanted to know what was the best to buy right now. Who cares what the launch of Xbox 360 was as compared to the PS3. Fact is, as several have pointed out, there isn't really anything excluse on PS3's launch. And the stuff that is, doesn't look promising. They don't have a killer app at this point for launch. So, the better buy is obviously the Xbox. Is that so hard to comprehend?
Exxactly. This isn't another debate between the 360 and PS3 and their technical merits. It's a question based on certain conditions that the original poster mentioned. Reading all of the things in the original post, I don't see how the PS3 comes to mind as the system of choice.

If it was a matter of "I wanted the best hardware and love Metal Gear Solid!" then yes, a PS3 would be recommended. But that certainly wasn't the case.
Old 10-29-06, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Go back and read my original post. It was in response to the OP. He's trying to decide which console to buy and I gave my opinion, which I then was railed for.

Who cares about launch titles? I wasn't the one who brought it up so don't point the finger at me. Did the 360 have any really killer apps at launch? No. So, why did people go out and buy one? Because it's a next-gen console. Same reason you went out and bought yours. In one year the 360 has been out tell me what "killer app" the 360 has other than Oblivion? Maybe CoD2 but that wasn't even exclusive and neither was Oblivion.

I don't consider the 360 a better buy when I have to spend the same amount of money that will only get me close to what the PS3 can do and not have HDMI plus I get a hard drive that has 40gb less space.
Old 10-29-06, 06:57 PM

You really don't read, do you. Microsoft has said there is no plans to release any games on HD-DVD at this point in time or the near future. Even so, say they go against their own words and do start releasing games in a year to 2 years. You don't think the price of the drive will have significantly dropped in price than the $200 it is now? So either way, it's not a negative for an Xbox 360 consumer.
Doesn't seem like you do either.

Why release a $200 add-on and not have a use for it? Don't you think if people want an HD-DVD player they would just go out and buy one that has HDMI inputs and is much better quality? It seems kind of ridiculous that you release an add on for a "Game Console" and not have a use for it other than watching movies.
Old 10-29-06, 07:08 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why release a $200 add-on and not have a use for it? Don't you think if people want an HD-DVD player they would just go out and buy one that has HDMI inputs and is much better quality? It seems kind of ridiculous that you release an add on for a "Game Console" and not have a use for it other than watching movies.

It's a cheaper option for those that already have 360's. They can get the add on for $200, or a standalone player for $500.

But I agree that it is fairly pointless in general, as I can't imagine the add on will be as good an HD player as the standalone, just like I can't imagine the PS3 being as good as a standalone Blu Ray player.

But I guess both are ok for people that don't care much about quality--i.e. the people that actually used PS2s/Xboxes as DVD players this gen. But the catch is I doubt many of those folks have HDTVs anyway, so it's a moot point.
Old 10-29-06, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts
Who cares about launch titles? I wasn't the one who brought it up so don't point the finger at me.
The launch titles were brought up because right now someone wants to know what to purchase... and the only titles that someone can purchase on the PS3 on it's release is the launch titles. You went on to mention that the 360 didn't have great launch titles either with this statement:

"Why don't you tell me all the great launch titles for the 360? Sounds to me like Microsoft had YOU on their "hype wagon". Nice."

You were comparing the PS3s launch titles with the 360s, which made no sense when someone's looking to buy a console today (or very soon) and the 360 isn't limited to their launch titles.

Did the 360 have any really killer apps at launch? No. So, why did people go out and buy one?
And now you've mentioned it again.

In one year the 360 has been out tell me what "killer app" the 360 has other than Oblivion? Maybe CoD2 but that wasn't even exclusive and neither was Oblivion.
Dead Rising and Gears of War (coming out shortly) can be considered "killer apps".

I don't consider the 360 a better buy when I have to spend the same amount of money that will only get me close to what the PS3 can do and not have HDMI plus I get a hard drive that has 40gb less space.
That's fine, but for most of us the 360 is a cheaper way to get next-gen gaming while having better games and many of them to choose from.
Old 10-29-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Go back and read my original post. It was in response to the OP. He's trying to decide which console to buy and I gave my opinion, which I then was railed for.

Who cares about launch titles? I wasn't the one who brought it up so don't point the finger at me. Did the 360 have any really killer apps at launch? No. So, why did people go out and buy one? Because it's a next-gen console. Same reason you went out and bought yours. In one year the 360 has been out tell me what "killer app" the 360 has other than Oblivion? Maybe CoD2 but that wasn't even exclusive and neither was Oblivion.

Actually, Call of Duty 2 was a pretty killer app at Launch. At last I looked, it got high reviews and sold a butt-ton of copies. Oblivion was also a killer app for those that didn't have a PC. We weren't talking exclusive to the system, we were talking about launch titles. It's been said before, and it'll be said again here. There isn't anything on PS3 at launch that you can't get elswhere that's just as good.

Maybe. But alot of people only have TVs that support 1080i anyway. So, if you already have an Xbox, and the unit is going to pass through 1080i, why go spend $500 on a standalone unit? That's pretty cost ineffective, no?
Old 10-29-06, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts
Why release a $200 add-on and not have a use for it? Don't you think if people want an HD-DVD player they would just go out and buy one that has HDMI inputs and is much better quality?
Because for those who already have a 360, the additional $200 price tag is cheaper than purchasing a $400+ HD-DVD player.

It seems kind of ridiculous that you release an add on for a "Game Console" and not have a use for it other than watching movies.
Is it more ridiculous than those in the HD forums stating they'd buy a PS3 just to have a cheaper Blu-Ray player? If the HD-DVD add-on sells well, then is it really ridiculous to release it?
Old 10-29-06, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Grimfarrow
Ultimately it depends on what your taste is like, IMO. For example, the 360 is just not much of option for me considering that I have zilch interest in sci-fis and FPSes (which already rules out every bald marine game as well as Gears of War, Halo, Mass Effect, Splinter Cell, blah blah). The only RPG that I'm interested in on the 360 is Trusty Bells. Somehow Blue Dragon managed to not interest me at all, despite its pedigree. Lost Odyssey....well, we'll see how that turns out. Not enough info so far.

That said, there's nothing on the PS3 I'm interested in (Resistance? No thanks)...as least, until March, when Motorstorm, Virtua Fighter 5 and Heavenly Sword hits. Now those I'm excited for, as well as Devil May Cry 4.
Agree on this part. I have very little interest in FPS games, and I get what I need from UT2004/Quake4/Quake2/FEAR combat on my PC. The only console FPS game I have is Halo 2. I can't stand FPS on analog sticks. The control feels like you're gimped. I found Halo 2 tolerable since it's kind of slow-paced.

There are a few 360 RPGs coming out that I like the look of - Trusty Bell, Blue Dragon, etc. I REALLY want to play Dead Rising, though.

As far as the PS3, nothing of interest here except DMC4 which is out who knows when.

As far as the HD-DVD drive, I'm sure it'll have decent quality. The PS2 DVD player had decent PQ for its time and price. And if it sucks, it'll probably suck equally with the PS3 Blu-ray playback.

$200 is WAY less than $500. Saying people will just buy a good standalone instead is true at current DVD player prices. But at $500, no way. I might be tempted to pick up the HD-DVD drive in another year or two at that price.

BTW: the argument that charging for Xbox live helps reducing cheating, I would buy. Except every time I played Halo2, Street Fighter, etc on XBLive I encountered tons of cheaters, smack talkers, people killing their own teams, lame bug abusers, etc. I'd say I got a fun online experience about 20% of the time.

Nintendo has the right idea with the friend code thing IMO. I don't really want to play with random online people. It's barely tolerable on the PC where not everyone has headsets. Letting them talk wasn't a good idea

Wii60 wins IMO. You get innovative Nintendo games, standard Nintendo platformers/party games/etc, and with the 360 you get a lot of graphics-whore typical genre games (stuff like GTA, Halo, etc) and a fairly robust online.

Nintendo + Microsoft > Sony for sure.

Funny, I can't believe I'm saying this. I don't exactly like Microsoft.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 10-29-06 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-29-06, 07:58 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How do some of the original Xbox exclusive classics look and play on the 360? I'm guessing there's plenty of great games I missed out on. Didn't some of them do 720p on the original Xbox? Do those titles do the same on the 360?
Old 10-29-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well Sony is including Talladega Nights BD with the launch shipment so I doubt the PS3 will be a subpar BD player.
Old 10-29-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Fandango
Well Sony is including Talladega Nights BD with the launch shipment so I doubt the PS3 will be a subpar BD player.
I don't see how one has anything to do with the other.
Old 10-29-06, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure I see how that relates to the quality of the PS3 as a BD player. Speaking of which, isn't that kind of an odd pack-in movie? King Kong for HD-DVD I can see...but Talladega? Hmm...
Old 10-29-06, 09:16 PM

There isn't anything on PS3 at launch that you can't get elswhere that's just as good.
Good luck finding Resistance: Fall of Man elsewhere.

The PS3 will also have Oblivion and CoD3 at launch....and you said the PS3 lacked "killer apps"? Does that mean those games are only killer apps on the 360?
Old 10-29-06, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey

Nintendo + Sony > Microsoft for sure.
Fixed.
Old 10-29-06, 09:19 PM

I would get a xbox 360, plus we should start seeing some real next gen games coming out on the 360 since the ps3 is coming out. Before it was xbox 360 and all current gen systems, so most games were current gen ports, so they didnt really use the 360 graphics but with 2 next gen systems out, we should start seeing more next gen looking games on the 360 so visually the graphics shouldnt be a big difference between ps3 and the 360, I just wish they included a hdmi on the 360 and went hd-dvd for there games so we also could get lossless audio, like Dolby TrueHD in our games, The ps3 game with the dragons features 7.1 uncompressed audio which I would love.

Last edited by maingon; 10-29-06 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-29-06, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If it turns out to be a bad player when people test out this movie it might turn them off to purchasing movies in the future. As for the choice of the pack in, TN is not for sale until about a month after the PS3 launch so you get a nice bonus of a free movie a month before anyone else has it.
Old 10-29-06, 09:28 PM

If it turns out to be a bad player when people test out this movie it might turn them off to purchasing movies in the future. As for the choice of the pack in, TN is not for sale until about a month after the PS3 launch so you get a nice bonus of a free movie a month before anyone else has it.
Yea, you also get a stripped down rated version of the film with almost no extras last I heard. Where the BD version a month later will be unrated and have lots of extras. Also I thought I read somewhere that the PS3 BD player won't upconvert SD DVD at all. So that makes it by far the worst BD player out there.
Old 10-29-06, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Where did you hear this from?
Old 10-29-06, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And when games for the 360 start coming on HD-DVD you're just going to not buy them even if they're titles like Halo, Fable, GTA, etc. Please.

At some point you're going to have to buy the add-on to play the latest and greatest. I really don't consider it a savings.
Microsoft's not going to bring its biggest titles out on HD-DVD and take the risk of alienating its customers. That'd be beyond stupid. It's been stated multiple times that this won't be happening.

I doubt it but you're the expert.
Why are you being such a condescending prick?
Old 10-29-06, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They might not make it for only HD-DVD but can't you see them doing something like putting out a DVD version and then another HD-DVD version of the game with some extras?
Old 10-29-06, 10:02 PM
Retired

Good luck finding Resistance: Fall of Man elsewhere.

The PS3 will also have Oblivion and CoD3 at launch....and you said the PS3 lacked "killer apps"? Does that mean those games are only killer apps on the 360?

It's hard to call them killer apps when:

1. Oblivion has been on the 360 for a year.
2. One can play CoD3 on the $400 and readily available 360, rather than the $500-600 and impossible to find PS3.

Arguing about launch line ups is pretty pointless anyway IMO, as they pretty much always suck.

The 360's sucked, the PS3's sucks, and the Wii's sucks. Launch is usually one decent game, sometimes one great game, and a bunch of crap rushed to be ready.

The PS3 is just going to take more flack about it's launch lineup because it costs $500-600 which is an absurd amount for a video game console. The price makes what is a standard launch lineup look much more unappealing once one factors in what you have to pay to play it.

For example, it's easier to swallow paying $250 for a Wii to play Zelda a month early and with the new controls for many compared to shelling out $500-600 to play Resistance on the PS3.

You think the launch lineup is worth that kind of cash...more power to you. Different strokes for different folks.

I loved the PS2, easily my most played console last gen, but the PS3 could launch with the 10 best games every made and there's now way I'd shell out $500-600 for it. Much less when it's big exclusive game is in a cookie cutter genre that I loathe.
Old 10-29-06, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow - I checked this thread this morning and it was benign. Now it's all screwed up - and it's getting locked.

This forum has been moving VERY smoothly lately guys - with two great new systems launching to join the other great system we are once again in the midst of a great time to be gamers. So fucking enjoy it and stop bitching about a system that YOU MAY NOT WANT.

Oh - and abrg923 - that personal attack just cost you a week.