Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PC Game Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-06, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC Game Suggestions?

Well, my PC has sucked for so long I am just about out of the loop on PC games. BUT, I should have my new desktop computer from Dell by Wednesday... here's the stats:

Dimension E521,Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (2.20GHz, 512Kx2)
2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
19 in (19 in viewable) E197FPBFlat Panel Display
256MB nVidia GeForce 7300LE TurboCache
160GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
16X DVD+/-RW Drive
Integrated Audio

I know it isn't the best system, but it has a decent video card and good RAM, so I should be able to play some new stuff on it. So, what suggestions do y'all have? I con't really play 1st person shooters that much (motion sickenss) - but if its extremely good I may give it a shot. I don't want a MMORPG - I can't stand having to pay for software and an additional monthly fee. I like RTS games, and if there is something new and incredible then I would be interested in it. I love the GTA games, though I play them mostly on consoles... I saw the commercial for the scarface game and thought it looked alot like GTA. I saw the commercial for the Justice League game, but through the reviews I've read here, apparently it sucks. Anyway, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

-CM-
Old 10-23-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt you'd be looking for Japanese games, but I've been playing a hell of a lot of Falcom's games ever since I upgraded my machine. Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim, Ys: The Oath in Felghana, Gurumin and most recently: Xanadu Next. These four are some of the best games I've played in a long time.
Old 10-23-06, 03:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
If you like turn-based strategy games, I recommend picking up Heroes of Might & Magic V. Very fun game and well worth the $40.

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic comes out this week....I think....it's a first person RPG like Oblivion but more on the action-rpg side of things. Looks very good and your PC should be able to handle it.

Then there's Neverwinter Nights 2, which comes out next Tuesday. It's an RPG from the guys who are responsible for great games such as Planescape Torment, Fallout, Baldur's Gate series, and Knights of the Old Republic 2. So, if you like RPG's you should definitely check out this one or the Might and Magic game.
Old 10-23-06, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
I'd check out Age of Empire 3 with the new expansion that just came out last week. One of the best out there if you like RTS games.
Old 10-23-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You might like Star Wars: Empire at War, it's a Star Wars based RTS, and it's on sale this week, at least at BB, as the expansion pack comes out tomorrow.
Old 10-24-06, 04:03 AM

I just saw some stuff for Supreme Commander and it looks amazing. Hmmm, early 2007 - that's not too far away!
Old 10-24-06, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If you like RTS then Company of Heroes is a must. BTW, that new Scarface game is really fun. Its not on the level of GTA, but they really made the best use of the license you could ask for.

Though older RTS games, I can't recommend the two Freedom Force games highly enough. That and Half Life 2 is kind of a must even if you are not the world's biggest FPS fan.
Old 10-24-06, 08:35 AM

I saw COH in the store yesterday and thought it looked really good - perhaps to tide me over until Supreme Commander.
Old 10-24-06, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are a few that I would recommend:

LOTR Battle for Middle Earth II - RTS game.
Oblivion - action RPG game (can be first or third person).
Splinter Cell Double Agent - steath/shooter action game (third person).
Day of Defeat: Source - WWII multiplayer shooter (FPS).
Old 10-24-06, 08:54 AM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Since you aren't that much into FPS's but seem willing to try you might look into FEAR Combat. It's an online only game that's got DM, TDM and CTF (along with a few other game modes) It's a fun quick diversion. In fact, I have pretty much put UT2004 and Wolf ET (another free well supported shooter) on the backburner since it came out. Best thing about it, is it's free. Plenty of servers, mosly hosting the team based modes. One thing that I have noticed is that there is a lot more team cooperation in FEAR Combat than I have witnessed in other online FPS's. Not very many one man army morons running into a room with guns blazing only to get killed!!

You system is ok, but when you get a chance I would upgrade that video card. It's not bad, but you could do soooo much better for not a lot of $$.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 10-24-06 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-24-06, 11:09 AM

You system is ok, but when you get a chance I would upgrade that video card. It's not bad, but you could do soooo much better for not a lot of $$.
Well, when my company pays for it and I have a budget, some things had to get sacrificed. I don't game that much, so it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 10-24-06, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Guild Wars: Nightfall - no monthly fees.
Old 10-25-06, 10:55 AM

I had a DVD return at Target, no reciept so I could only exchange for something from the same department of equal or greater value - I was going to get Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 Gold and the Wild expansion, but the return was $45, so I ended up with Company of Heros. Now, I still haven't received my computer, but I installed it on a friend's and went through the training missions. It seems like a decent game - we'll see how it runs on my machine, as it seemed a bit choppy on my friend's.