DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Halo 3 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/480220-halo-3-a.html)

mmconhea 01-05-07 12:36 PM

Can't wait to buy a crappy game for a chance to play the beta.

The Dude 01-05-07 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Anyone here download the behind the scenes videos for HALO 3 on the marketplace?

There's cool video where the developers are talking about the Brutes. It shows quite a bit of what looks like gameplay video.

On 1up, there's a vid with two guys breaking down the Et tu, brute? video pretty extensively (little things like noticing some info in the screens behind the developers) that I thought was pretty good. It's 30 minutes (for a 7 minute video), but the linky is:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3156109

Giantrobo 01-05-07 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by TheDude
On 1up, there's a vid with two guys breaking down the Et tu, brute? video pretty extensively (little things like noticing some info in the screens behind the developers) that I thought was pretty good. It's 30 minutes (for a 7 minute video), but the linky is:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3156109

Yeah it's the video in the background.

Tom Banjo 01-06-07 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by kar10
WOW! How did you find it?

The violin girl sure rocks I think I'm in love ;)

Here's her myspace page. Now you can cyber-stalk. ;)
http://www.myspace.com/hanahstuart

mrpayroll 01-23-07 03:13 PM

Might as well put this here

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6164579...s&subj=6164579

Bungie: "We screwed up" on Halo 2

Iconic studio's staffers admit to British magazine that 2004 shooter wasn't all it could have been, promise vast improvements in Halo 3.

By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot
Posted Jan 23, 2007 12:00 pm PT

When it went on sale in November 2004, Halo 2 was a runaway hit. The subject of nearly unprecedented interest, the sequel to the Xbox shooter would eventually sell upwards of 6.5 million copies worldwide. To this day, it remains one of the most played games on Xbox Live, and a PC version is due later this year.

However, unlike the first Halo, Halo 2 was the subject of a significant backlash. Though its introduction of online multiplayer was hailed by critics, many critiqued its short single-player campaign. One subject of particular ire was the game's lackluster ending, which featured a not-so climactic duel with a Brute chief before an abrupt final cinematic that all but screamed "sequel."

As it turns out, many staffers at Halo 2 developer Bungie agree with the criticisms leveled at the game. Writer and Bungie.net weekly update author Frank O’Connor admitted Halo 2's finale was lackluster. "We drove off [a cliff] Thelma & Louise style," he told the British game magazine Edge. "The trick is to avoid...writing by committee."

Bungie engineer Chris Butcher was blunter in his assessment. "We had about four to five weeks to polish Halo at the end...[but] we had none of that for Halo 2," he told the magazine. "We miscalculated, we screwed up, we came down to the wire and we just lost all of that. So Halo 2 is far less than it could and should be in many ways because of that. It kills me to think of it."

Butcher was even critical of Halo 2's multiplayer element. "Even the multiplayer experience for Halo 2 is a pale shadow of what it could and should have been if we had gotten the timing of our schedule right," he said "I ****ing cannot play Halo 2 multiplayer. I cannot do it."

Luckily, according to all those Edge interviewed, Bungie is taking much more care with the final installment in the Halo trilogy. "I know Halo 3 is going to be so much better," said Butcher, referring to the less-pressured production schedule for the game, which is due out sometime later this year.

Design lead Jaime Griesemer concurred, citing a new development structure which allows for more flexibility and faster implementation of ideas. “We now have a system for when I want to come in and do something crazy, for making it all work," he told the magazine. "Now I feel like we’ve got this incredible framework and we can just go nuts and do anything we want to with this really solid foundation."

Chris

Michael Corvin 01-23-07 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Here's her myspace page. Now you can cyber-stalk. ;)
http://www.myspace.com/hanahstuart

And her first band listed that she enjoys listening to, Dream Theater. :rock:

Dream girl.

KurrptSenate 01-24-07 08:07 AM

I've actually seen them LIVE twice. I love seeing Petrucci and Portnoy live. I actually got to meet Portnoy before as well

The Bus 01-24-07 08:34 AM

I still don't understand how the Halo 2 multiplayer is "screwed up" --- I think it was fine although I have to admit post-update it was much better. Maybe they meant to rearrange the importance of the "noob combo" and the purple-shard gun? The latter was always a favorite of weapon of mine even if it was kind of useless. I did notice, post update, that the combo of the blue-energy/pistol wasn't as effective.

Halo 2's multiplayer actually had decent maps. The original Halo had two, maybe three great maps (Blood Gulch, the tombstones for everybody one).

The Bus 01-24-07 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by mmconhea
Can't wait to buy a crappy came for a chance to play the beta.

I got in the beta without buying anything. Not sure what you're talking about.

corbin dallas 01-24-07 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus

Braggart...

Oh btw, so did I....Woohoo!!!! :rock2:

ravenX 01-24-07 05:09 PM

It was recently announced that you need to 'apparently' buy crackdown to have access to the HALO beta download. I think thats what he means.

xmiyux 01-24-07 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by ravenX
It was recently announced that you need to 'apparently' buy crackdown to have access to the HALO beta download. I think thats what he means.

A bunch of invites were randomly raffled out to people who had previously signed up. Another 13,333 will be given out in early Feb for free.

Those are ways to get into the beta without buying anything.

Barring winning one of those invites - buying a marked box of Crackdown is the only guaranteed way in.

mmconhea 01-25-07 10:37 AM

Buying Crackdown in order to play the beta. seems to be already pushing sales on this otherwise mediocre title.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22287

Canis Firebrand 01-25-07 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by mmconhea
Buying Crackdown in order to play the beta. seems to be already pushing sales on this otherwise mediocre title.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22287

Yeah. I think that Crackdown is going to suck, and suck hard. I had no interest in the title at all. Now, I've got the damned thing pre-ordered to get the Halo 3 beta. I'll never even play the game itself.

This game will sell better then any game until Halo 3 comes out. And the laughable thing is that it won't be for the game itself.

UncleGramps 01-25-07 12:01 PM

For what it's worth, I'm buying Crackdown so that I can get Crackdown. The Halo 3 Beta invite is an added bonus since I'm not really a huge Halo fan. I've played through the Crackdown demo twice so far and found it to be much better than mediocre. Of course opinions will vary, and many people will be buying it just for the beta invite alone, so the sales figures for Crackdown will be artificially inflated by a significant amount. It's a smart business move by Microsoft, though I can understand fans of Halo being upset by it.

Canis Firebrand 01-25-07 12:03 PM

If they wanted a pay to play thing to keep the numbers down as everyone wouldn't pay for a beta invite. I'd have rather seen something like 1500-2000 MS points being used to get the beta. $20 is a lot easier to swallow then $60 for a game I have no interest in.

KurrptSenate 01-25-07 12:14 PM

obviously, if the beta is that important to you, you would do what needs to be done. Obviously, whining does little to help :lol:

UncleGramps 01-25-07 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Vryce
If they wanted a pay to play thing to keep the numbers down as everyone wouldn't pay for a beta invite. I'd have rather seen something like 1500-2000 MS points being used to get the beta. $20 is a lot easier to swallow then $60 for a game I have no interest in.

Yeah, I'm actually surprised they didn't offer that as another option to get into the beta. I guess you could trade the game back after you take the beta key to recoup some of the cost.

Canis Firebrand 01-25-07 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Yeah, I'm actually surprised they didn't offer that as another option to get into the beta. I guess you could trade the game back after you take the beta key to recoup some of the cost.

:lol:

I wonder how long it will take EB/GameStop to say no more Crackdown used tradeins. They are going to be so flooded with copies. Ebay and Half will be as bad.

UncleGramps 01-25-07 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Vryce
:lol:

I wonder how long it will take EB/GameStop to say no more Crackdown used tradeins. They are going to be so flooded with copies. Ebay and Half will be as bad.

True. I can see people buying it, opening it in the store, pulling out the beta key, and handing the game back to the clerk for trade-in. :lol:

If you're quick, you can probably toss it up on Ebay or Half as soon as you get it and find someone who's not "in the know" and willing to buy it for $40. You might even find someone on the trading subforum here or at CAG who doesn't care about the beta and is willing to buy your copy of Crackdown or trade for it. Or maybe hold off on buying the game and see if a generous Crackdown owner is willing to give you their beta key. There could even be people who buy the game and Ebay their beta keys. Anyway, hopefully you'll find a way to get into the beta without having to buy a game you don't want. There's always the last lottery-style invite opportunity that miyu mentioned earlier in the thread.

KurrptSenate 01-25-07 12:52 PM

ill sell my code out of my game, if its that easy

UncleGramps 01-25-07 01:15 PM

So I guess the rumors are that you will need Crackdown in your 360 in order to "unlock" the download of the beta. The big question is whether this is a one-time step or if the beta will only play while you have Crackdown in the drive. Obviously, the answer to this question will have a huge effect on how many people trade or sell their copy of the game.

Canis Firebrand 01-25-07 01:38 PM

Yeah, I am going to try for the Phase 2 lottery and hope I get in on that. If so, I can cancel my pre-order of the game.

However I have very little hope of getting in.

The first part is easy. Play 3 hours of halo in a 3 day time frame. Easy enough to do. Play an hour a night, or marathon it and play all 3 hours in one sitting.

The next part will be the difficult part. Once the 3 day period is over at 11:59 on the 3rd day, at 12:01 am of the 4th(ie, 2 minutes later), the halo3 website opens for registrations. The first 13,333 people to register will get an invite.

The website was horrible to navigate and fill out the form during the phase one things. I think it will be just as bad if not worse this time. But maybe I'll get lucky. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

edstein 01-25-07 04:28 PM

I'm not that big of a Halo whore so if I get a invite I'll take it but, I'm not buying another game just to play beta code.

mmconhea 02-05-07 08:54 AM

I figured I'd go for phase 2 of the lottery. I played the 3 days, could barely get through it with the amount of assholes playing nowdays, but it looks like many people signed on this weekend for this reason alone...
...but in typical MS/Bungie fashion. Last night 12am PST the registration didn't roll over, and is still not up. Good job, the message boards on Halo forums are going wacky as hundreds, perhaps thousands stayed up late (especially on the east coast) to register. Now a lot of them are in class today. If you are going to do something on a first-come first serve basis, you tell your customers when.