Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii Thread Part 4.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-06, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
This will come as a blow to a few of you, not sure if it warrants it's own thread though.

from 1up.com:
And the disappointing GameCube news? Nintendo has decided that the GameCube version of The Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess will only be sold at Nintendo's own online store, presumably wanting to avoid confusion in stores. The game hasn't officially been declared as the last ever GameCube title, but it certainly looks that way, with Nintendo's newer titles all jumping ship to the Wii.
Old 10-11-06, 08:35 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some details from a Japanse Conference today from www.gonintendo.com.

Nintendo conference
A Nintendo conference took place in Japan this morning, and NeoGAF has a bullet point list of all the info that came from it.

● Miyamoto has just announced “Health Pack” (code name) for Wii (related to Family Health Check)
● A new cooking guide titled “DS Menu Collection” (similar to cooking Navi) for DS announced, and will have 1000 built-in recipes The new cooking game has a magnet stand so you can put your DS on your fridge while you cook. Magnet stand costs 1200yen. It’s also Wi-Fi compatible. No idea what for yet.
● Wii-Experience videos (New videos at us.wii.com - we posted on this earlier)
● From Next Spring, “Wii Compact Software” will be sold… presumably, these are downloadable games (i.e., no disc or manual).
● 18 Wii games for Japan in 2006
● The plan is similar to DS strategy
● Big Brain Academy for 2007 Spring
● Around 60 Virtual Console games before the end of 2006, including PCE and MD.
● Zelda: Twilight Princess for Gamecube will be sold online only in Japan.

● Wii points Prepaid card
● Wii points Prepaid card 1000 (1000 yen) - 1000 Wii points
● Wii points Prepaid card 3000 (3000 yen) - 3000 Wii points
● Wii points Prepaid card 5000 (5000 yen) - 5000 Wii points (if you buy the 5000 point card, you get a Virtual Console controller free)
● Power brick 3,000 Yen
●Composite 1,000 Yen
● S-Video 2,500 Yen
● D terminal 2,500 Yen
● Component 2,500 Yen
● 512MB SD 3,800 Yen
● Wired LAN Adapter 2,800 Yen
Potential good news for those of us needing component or S-video cables, as 2500 Yen is approx $20.88, so looks like we can expect $20 or so for the cables here. Though it wouldn't shock me if they bumped it to $30 here.
Old 10-11-06, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow a free controller with Wii Point card. Awesome. $40 is a lot to spend on points though. I guess the $15/$20(?) VC controller makes it worth it.

And that does look very promising for Component/S-Video. I bet they will be $30 here though, just because N already proved people would buy them at that price with the cube.
Old 10-11-06, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
This will come as a blow to a few of you, not sure if it warrants it's own thread though.
Since he decided to leave out this important detail (twice, no less), I'll point out that this was announced for Japan only at the time.
Old 10-11-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Since he decided to leave out this important detail (twice, no less), I'll point out that this was announced for Japan only at the time.
Well I posted first in this thread. And didn't think about revising it. I just responed to the other thread.
Old 10-11-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would most certainly buy 5000 points for a controller
Old 10-11-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Only 60 VC games by the end of 2006?
Old 10-11-06, 11:09 AM
Retired

60 VC games in a month in a half of launch is pretty good IMO.

How long did it take X-box Live Arcade to get that many games (assuming they have 60 or more now)?
Old 10-11-06, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by lordwow
I would most certainly buy 5000 points for a controller
Same here - If that package is offered here, I'll probably pick up one or two of the launch VC games just to check it out, and then save the rest of the points for more desirable games.

Also good news about the component cable pricing.

I think I'm back in as far as buying one goes. It'll be by far the most I've spent on gaming in one crack, but what the hell. I definitely wish I'd tossed my cube + component cable up on ebay earlier, but I didn't want to regret the decision to get rid of it. I'm not sure if it would be worth it now.
Old 10-11-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
60 VC games in a month in a half of launch is pretty good IMO.

How long did it take X-box Live Arcade to get that many games (assuming they have 60 or more now)?
How many of the XBox Live Arcade games are just straight emulation though? Apples and oranges.

There is no reason that every Nintendo-developed game (barring rights issues, for example if they don't have the rights to distribute something with Ken Griffey Jr's likeness any more) can't be available.
Old 10-11-06, 11:36 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
How many of the XBox Live Arcade games are just straight emulation though? Apples and oranges.

There is no reason that every Nintendo-developed game (barring rights issues, for example if they don't have the rights to distribute something with Ken Griffey Jr's likeness any more) can't be available.
I'd assume the games all need to be tweaked and tested and optimized to work on the emulator.

Take PC emulators, some games run much better than others, some don't run at all on certain emulators etc.

So that probably takes time.

But still, 60 is a lot in 5 weeks or so IMO. Not like anyone can play all of them. The key is if they put out enough of the "big" games that are what people really want.
Old 10-11-06, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd assume the games all need to be tweaked and tested and optimized to work on the emulator.

Take PC emulators, some games run much better than others, some don't run at all on certain emulators etc.
A big reason for some games not running well on emulators is that the information about the internals of the system being emulated has been worked out over the years by trial and error, guesswork, or reverse engineering, and isn't necessarily accurate. That isn't an issue for Nintendo, since they're just emulating their own hardware.

Last edited by Jeremy517; 10-11-06 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-11-06, 11:47 AM
Retired

That isn't an issue for Nintendo, since they're just emulating their own hardware.
So I guess that's why the 360 emulating the X-box works so well.

Emulation is never perfect, even if emulating your own hardware.

Having 60 games for essentially a tack on feature with in 5 weeks of launch is pretty admirable IMO, however you want to look at it.
Old 10-11-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I guess that's why the 360 emulating the X-box works so well.
That isn't really emulation, at least not in the same sense as true emulators. The hardware being emulated in that case is also 100x more complex. Also, the gap between the emulated hardware and the hardware running the emulation is not as large.

Also remember a lot of the work for the NES was already done, due to Animal Crossing. Yes it is for a different platform, but unless they're horrible programmers (doubtful), then it should mostly all be platform independant code.

Last edited by Jeremy517; 10-11-06 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-11-06, 11:53 AM
Retired

It is easier, but I'm sure it's not as simple as you imply.

Anyway, it's lame to bitch about the number of games. Wait and see what the 60 are. If there is not enough games in there you want to keep you busy for 5 weeks, then bitch at them for their selection of games.

60 games is more than enough IF the selection is decent and its not mostly random crap people don't want to play.
Old 10-11-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It is easier, but I'm sure it's not as simple as you imply.
I've written an NES emulator; it is.

They already have a working NES emulator too. Just port it and add new mappers, if necessary.
Old 10-11-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

60 games is more than enough IF the selection is decent and its not mostly random crap people don't want to play.
The problem with that is what percentage of the games are the diehards like me going to already have? Most of the diehards (who are probably the ones buying it by the end of the year) probably have most of the titles that would fit your criteria.
Old 10-11-06, 12:01 PM
Retired

The problem with that is what percentage of the games are the diehards like me going to already have? Most of the diehards (who are probably the ones buying it by the end of the year) probably have most of the titles that would fit your criteria.
Nintendo isn't target people that have the old consoles and game collections, or those that use PC emulators.

60 is more than enough for everyone else.

People that have collections shouldn't give a crap about the VC, as their is really no substitute for having the system, the game and playing with the controller it was designed for IMO.

I'm interested in the VC as I don't have room to keep my old systems hooked up, and don't play many retro games in general, so it is a convenient substitute.
Old 10-11-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good Christ. Some people won't be happy unless Nintendo hand-delivers their entire body of work in solid gold casings to them.
Old 10-11-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good Christ. Some people won't be happy unless Nintendo hand-delivers their entire body of work in solid gold casings to them.
Give me a break. Yeah that is pretty similar to expecting more than 60 titles when 1/3 of that is already available.
Old 10-11-06, 12:15 PM
Retired

Exactly. There are legitimate complaints with the Wii (only 1 controller packed in, cost of the controller, launching after PS3, weak launch line up).

But complaining that there will only be 60 VC games in the first 5-6 weeks is stretching IMO.
Old 10-11-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't want to flood the market with 100s of VC games at release, people won't buy them because they won't have enough money. This is why all releases are staggered.
Old 10-11-06, 12:18 PM
Retired

You don't want to flood the market with 100s of VC games at release, people won't buy them because they won't have enough money. This is why all releases are staggered.
Exactly. It makes no sense to put a ton out at once (and 60 is already a ton IMO) from a business standpoint even if they could get them already.

Gamers are just a whiny lot and want everything right now at the price they want to pay.
Old 10-11-06, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Precisely. If they stagger like XBLA then people will pick up one or two a month. Where is the incentive if they are all available from the outset? More than likely that would overwhelm someone new to gaming anyway. Who wants to navigate through hundreds of games? Sure you know what you want, but for someone browsing for something to try it would be a nightmare.

Complaining about this is right up there with not buying a Wii because Nintendo held the Gamecube Zelda back.
Old 10-11-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

More Red Steel vids:

http://www.jeuxvideo.tv/red-steel-video-26366.html
http://www.jeuxvideo.tv/red-steel-video-26364.html
http://www.jeuxvideo.tv/red-steel-video-26363.html
http://www.jeuxvideo.tv/red-steel-video-26361.html

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.