Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official "I'm camping Best Buy/Walmart/ect for PS3/Wii" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-06, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Official "I'm camping Best Buy/Walmart/ect for PS3/Wii" Thread

This isn't going to be happening for about a month and a half but i'm wondering who plans on camping out to make sure they snag a PS3/Wii system. I'm wondering if anyones ever done this before for a system(XBOX360 maybe?) and how early the night before you should show up to make sure you're going to get one. Also any info if best buy/walmart/ect will be limiting the number you buy would be helpful. So whos camping out? I'm going to for both.
Old 09-27-06, 04:50 PM
Retired

I'm going to preorder a Wii at Gamestop when they start taking them. If I don't get one at launch, no biggie.

No point in camping since I won't have much time to play it until December anyway, and I don't think they'll be hard to find with 1 million or more in North America on Launch day and what sounds like steady shipments through years end (4 million worldwide with NA getting the majority).

For the Gamecube I showed up at Walmart around 10 pm and waited in line until Midnight to buy one. There were still a lot left when I got mine (though still a decen amoutn of people behind me in line).

The PS3 will be a different story though.
Old 09-27-06, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I already pre-ordered a Wii through Amazon, and I'm definately not getting a PS3 at launch.
Old 09-27-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No camping or standing in long lines for me. I'm pre-ordering from now on. I have a Wii pre-ordered at amazon.
Old 09-27-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I'm guessing this will be as easy to get as Gamecubes were - with the Cube, I just walked into a ToysRUs the morning of launch, no lines, no hastle and bought one no problem.

If I'm wrong, I have no problem waiting for one. But I will NEVER camp in a line for a game console.
Old 09-27-06, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll be camping the evening of. I refuse to do crazy pre-order bundles, but more importantly I enjoy the event and excitment. Have very fond memories of the N64 release (moved up) and the GC and Xbox. Good times.
Old 09-27-06, 05:32 PM
tpc

I think i'll be camping for a Wii with a couple buddies of mine just for the sake of doing it.
Old 09-27-06, 05:33 PM

I'll camp out for the PS3, but I'll just wake up early for the Wii. I doubt supplies will be that low for it.

The only thing close to it was when my dad went to a BB for the PS2 launch. He went at 8 in the morning and actually got one. He was 155th in line, and there were 160 systems. It was sold out for months afterward.

So I'll probably go no earlier than midnight. Bring my DS, PSP, portable DVD player... it should actually be fun.
Old 09-27-06, 05:50 PM

I did that for the 360. Never again. Of course I didn't get it. The only thing people should wait in line for is food and water.
Old 09-27-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tpc
I think i'll be camping for a Wii with a couple buddies of mine just for the sake of doing it.
I was going to camp for the Wii for the same reason, but I'm going to try Sam's Club and/or Costco on launch day in hopes that they will have a good bundle with an extra controller.
Old 09-27-06, 06:22 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by slop101
I'm guessing this will be as easy to get as Gamecubes were - with the Cube, I just walked into a ToysRUs the morning of launch, no lines, no hastle and bought one no problem.

If I'm wrong, I have no problem waiting for one. But I will NEVER camp in a line for a game console.

Should be as easy or easier I'd think. Nintendo says they'll have more launch units than they ever have before, and the GC sold less than the N64 so demand should be a bit lower too I'd think. The Wii will bring in some non-gamers etc. that didn't buy the GC, but I don't think those will be the people buying it on launch morning.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 09-27-06 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-27-06, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jake77444
I'm wondering if anyones ever done this before for a system(XBOX360 maybe?)
Ever heard of the PS2 launch stories .

Sadly (but simultaneously thank god) I am reserving a Wii this year, I won't get to partake in the midnight mayhem that insues. Its november, so it'll be freezing cold here in MD. However camping out is always worth it! I can't believe I said that but it really is a great experience. I'd do it this year if I didn't have to work in the morning. Nothing like hanging out and making friends with other enthusiast such as yourself, eating pizza. Plus now its like one non-stop party since everyone brings their DS and multi-player games, you can get an 8 player mario kart going easily , or a 16 player Brain-Age calculations. I've only done 5 player and it was awesome.
Old 09-27-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got in early on the Amazon pre-order, so I'm not worrying too much about that.

I'll probably wait for a PS3. I'll probably get it, play with it for a week or two, and then ebay it for a profit (unless it REALLY impresses me).

I work nightshift anyway, so it's not like staying up all night bothers me...but it looks like I'll have to trade to get the night off. So that's a maybe.
Old 09-27-06, 09:31 PM

Will pre-order a Wii, not too concerned about finding that one. As far as the PS3, I might do what I did for the 360. I hired someone to wait in line for me. Worth every penny as they were there for 15 hours and I wouldn't have waited more than 15 minutes.
Old 09-27-06, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

God, no. I have plenty of unplayed games as it is. I'll get one, just not right away--the DS still occupies plenty of my video game time.
Old 09-27-06, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Binger
Will pre-order a Wii, not too concerned about finding that one. As far as the PS3, I might do what I did for the 360. I hired someone to wait in line for me. Worth every penny as they were there for 15 hours and I wouldn't have waited more than 15 minutes.
What time did he get there the day before? and what place was he in line? I'm just curious what time i should expect to be there at to make sure i score a PS3, i would also like to be near the beginning of the line.

Anyone that did the 360 camp what time did you get there the night before? Would closing the night before be good?

Also anyone know if best buy will they limit them to 1 per customer or is it how ever many you can afford? What have they done in the past?

Last edited by Jake77444; 09-27-06 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-28-06, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love camping out for stuff, though I never have for a console(never have had a console earlier than a year or so after launch). I would camp for the Wii if I had the cash available, but with bills, two Jeeps I'm building up, and my waning interest in gaming, I'll pass camping this generation too...forget the PS3 anytime soon, I'm not pulling a loan for a console.
Old 09-28-06, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jake77444
Anyone that did the 360 camp what time did you get there the night before? Would closing the night before be good?

Also anyone know if best buy will they limit them to 1 per customer or is it how ever many you can afford? What have they done in the past?
I camped out at Target to get my 360. I got there around 9pm the previous night for the 8am opening the next day. The Target I went to only had 40 Xbox360s, and 40 people were in line well before midnight (I was #20 when I arrived).

I heard the nearby BestBuy had people lining up as early as 5pm the day before launch. If I was going to get a PS3, I would assume the first person would line up at the store at 3pm at the latest. Also, make sure you ask the store manager how many units they'll be getting so you know if you should even bother standing in line if it seems long.

I would also assume that every store would limit one console per customer.
Old 09-28-06, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I camped out for the PS2. I plan on doing it for the PS3, but I'm not sure what I'll do. For the PS2, I had a buddy with me so we could hold each other's place for bathroom breaks, etc. But I don't think he is going to get a PS3, and not sure if I want to do it by myself. Doubt I can convice my wife to sit with me, heh.
Old 09-28-06, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
No, it's not that important.
Old 09-28-06, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm hoping my local GameRush still gets them. I'm first on their call-list for pre-orders. I basically want to make some cash to help pay for the new baby on the way.
Old 09-28-06, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fuck that. If I miss out on launch, I've got plenty to do to keep me occupied until I can just walk into a store and buy one.
Old 09-28-06, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 906 Likes on 668 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Fuck that. If I miss out on launch, I've got plenty to do to keep me occupied until I can just walk into a store and buy one.
Agreed. When the launch happens I'll be shoulder deep into both FF:XII and FF:III. I'll try to get a Wii at launch, but I'm not going to wait in line for one. I did camp overnight to get a 360 though. Got in line at best buy at about 6pm the night before and was about 15th in line.
Old 09-28-06, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by noonan4224
Agreed. When the launch happens I'll be shoulder deep into both FF:XII and FF:III. I'll try to get a Wii at launch, but I'm not going to wait in line for one. I did camp overnight to get a 360 though. Got in line at best buy at about 6pm the night before and was about 15th in line.
So you don't really agree if you already camped out once

I'm sure a lot of people are waiting just to turn a profit.....almost worth it if these sell for $1000+ on Ebay
Old 09-28-06, 08:41 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I'm sure a lot of people are waiting just to turn a profit.....almost worth it if these sell for $1000+ on Ebay
Shhh, don't reveal my master plan.

Seriously though, I'm suprised more people who are interested in the Wii aren't camping out for a PS3. The timing of both launches makes it the perfect plan for a free Wii and a barrage of launch games / accesories.

Or in my case, a free 360 HD-DVD drive and a barrage of HD-DVD movies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.