Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Wii Calculator: See exactly what it's going to run you (for the lazy)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Wii Calculator: See exactly what it's going to run you (for the lazy)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, thanks.

Sorry for the hijack.
Old 09-22-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremy517
I'm guessing that you'll get free points for buying/register games and possibly hardware, but nothing has been announced yet. It wouldn't surprise me if you get a number of free points when you buy the system.
Somehow... I doubt that.
Old 09-22-06, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by lordwow
Somehow... I doubt that.
Why? They gave away the Zelda CE if you bought four games, subscribed to Nintendo Power, or bought a system. They also gave away the first Zelda disc for preordering WW. And in those cases, there were far more costs associated with giving it away than there is with giving away emulated games.
Old 09-22-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm guessing that you'll get free points for buying/register games and possibly hardware, but nothing has been announced yet. It wouldn't surprise me if you get a number of free points when you buy the system.
I'm expecting this to be the case in Japan and for the US to get screwed as usual and get some free wallpapers instead.
Old 09-22-06, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkside
I'm expecting this to be the case in Japan and for the US to get screwed as usual and get some free wallpapers instead.
If that is the case, you can expect Europe to get a free rock or dirt clod.
Old 09-22-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Please don't remind me of how awesome Club Nintendo is in Japan.
Old 09-22-06, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Why? They gave away the Zelda CE if you bought four games, subscribed to Nintendo Power, or bought a system. They also gave away the first Zelda disc for preordering WW. And in those cases, there were far more costs associated with giving it away than there is with giving away emulated games.
Yet none of this was during launch. It all came later. They will sell launch units without needing silly incentives. Possibly next year.
Old 09-22-06, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who said anything about incentive to buy? Obviously a free game from two to four generations prior isn't going to be the deciding factor in whether someone buys a Wii or not.
Old 09-22-06, 11:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I put the info into my calculator, then deducted my EB Games employee discount for everything but the system, and I got $541.53 for the system, one remote plus nunchuck, one retro controller (I presume this referred to the individual system controllers, and I will pick up an SNES replica), and 4 games (if Red Steel ends up being good, otherwise, it will be 3 games). If I ordered through Amazon, it would be $523.41 with free 2-day shipping, or $527.40 with $3.99 one day shipping. I think I'll just swallow the extra $20 to get it in my hands on the day without worrying about shipping hassles.
Old 09-23-06, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Sell your first set MWB. As I posted in another thread, within two hours of putting them on ebay, someone bought mine for $60.

Unless you have multiple HDTVs, the Wii will play your GC games so there is no need for the GC cables anymore.
I'm going to do this myself. I've got the s-video and the component both hooked up anyway as 3rd party games don't do 480p. Just go unhook the component cable and plop it on ebay.

Not much time to play games lately, no big deal not to have component until the Wii comes out. Good to hear they're still selling.
Old 09-23-06, 03:21 AM

If Nintendo is smart, then they'll give people a small amount of points (say, 500--enough to purchase an NES VC game) with the purchase of the Wii. It costs them nothing to do so, and it gives a little taste of the VC experience which would only serve as a hook for the gamer to purchase more. Just like selling drugs... "the first one's always free."
Old 09-23-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
$404.65

That's the console+game, an extra wii-mote and chuck, a VC controller and the Legend of Zelda, + MN sales tax.

Makes me even more glad that I haven't bought a 360 with no games and one controller for $5 less than I'll pay for a complete Wii setup.
Old 09-23-06, 09:39 AM

- Nintendo Wii Console
- Extra Nunchuck, Wii Remote, and Retro Controller
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- Red Steel (Reviews First)
- Excite Truck (Will See Reviews First)

Now that I look at it...that is one of the worst launch lineups in history
Old 09-23-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think the launch lineup is all that bad. I'm hoping for some solid quirky fun from Elebits and Trauma Center in addition to Zelda. These offbeat games should be the reason we're so excited about the potential of this system. I remember the launch titles available for PS2 being much more lackluster. I also remember playing the hell out of SSX and Madden for a solid month before really finding another worthwhile alternative. Besides even if it the launch lineup is underwhelming, once the novelty wears off there should be an extremely solid wave of games coming out before Christmas. There are just so many negative nancies out there!

Oh... and 459.94 with console (no tax with my pre-order from Amazon), extra controller and nunchuck, Elebits and Trauma Center.
Old 09-23-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by edallasplanet

Now that I look at it...that is one of the worst launch lineups in history
Yep. It went from a 4-star launch to a piss poor one pretty quick in the past few months.
Old 09-23-06, 04:55 PM

$289.98 for me.

System, Retro Controller, 2000 points...and that's it until Mario & Sonic come out.
And then I'll probably just get blockbuster online and rent games instead of buy since I usually only play one or two games at a time, and then get rid of the game. I'll probably rent Call of Duty 3 or some other games just to try out the controller. I'm not interested in all in Wii Sports but maybe it will suprise me. I might even try to sell it on Ebay to see if someone out there will buy it. You never know.

I'm more stoked about the retro games than the newer games.

I still prefer the old school 2d platform games more than anything. I feel kind of stupid getting jacked up for a next gen system to play games that are 10-20 years old, but I missed out so many games or haven't played these since I was little
Old 09-23-06, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A bit under $600 when counting the Wii, a classic controller, component cables, Virtual Points, Zelda, Monkey Ball, Excite Truck, Red Steel and Rayman.
Old 09-23-06, 09:19 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yep. It went from a 4-star launch to a piss poor one pretty quick in the past few months.
How can any launch lineup with a brand new Legend of Zelda be considered piss poor? Throw in Trauma Center and those two alone make for a great lineup by themselves.
Old 09-23-06, 11:43 PM

Trauma Center isnt very user friendly for a new player to videogames or an amateur. Its a very unforgiving and frustrating...if its anything like its DS cousin.
Old 09-24-06, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by edallasplanet
Trauma Center isnt very user friendly for a new player to videogames or an amateur. Its a very unforgiving and frustrating...if its anything like its DS cousin.
One of the 1upyours podcast guys played it in New York a few weeks ago and said that it was easier than the DS version.
Old 09-24-06, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Trauma Center can kick your ass in a huge way.
Old 09-24-06, 02:16 AM

No Wii Calculator at launch = No Sale!
Old 09-25-06, 03:10 PM

I noticed a lot of you guys will be buying a retro controller. Just curious as to why this is a "must-have"? Can't you use a Wavebird (or even the Wii controller) for VC games, or did I miss something and you have to use the retro? Or is it that you could use the Wavebird, but would rather have the retro as it's more...well...retro? Just curious.
Old 09-25-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't get it either. I haven't paid much attention but maybe the D-Pad is bigger and more like the older controllers than the puny GC one.
Old 09-25-06, 03:42 PM

Even so...I'd personally still rather use the analog stick. Worked great for the NES games in Animal Crossing...

I can see why some people would prefer the good ol' D-Pad though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.