Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Is my 360 bad?

Old 09-10-06, 01:16 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,306
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my 360 bad?

I'm getting so frustrated. Here are the games I own for the Xbox 360:

Elder Scrolls Oblivion
The Outfit
Condemned
Perfect Dark
Madden 06
NCAA Football 07
Dead Rising
Saints Row

I barely played Oblivion and The Outfit. Condemned and Perfect Dark seemed to work fine, but the other 4 games freeze up constantly. I know that Madden 06 is known to be bad and the same goes for NCAA. I haven't heard anything about Dead Rising or Saints Row, but Dead Rising froze up on me the other day and I've had numerous problems so far with Saints Row. Is it the games themselves or is my console the problem. It's so frustrating. I mean I can play my Nintendo 64 circa 1996 and not have any problems but the so called latest and greatest technology is bascially worthless if I can't go more than 10 minutes without the game freezing up.
Old 09-10-06, 08:38 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 14,020
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely seems like your console. Since you still haven't had the red rings of death, especially if you have been having these problems for a while over multiple games, I would think that your drive might be the issue. This was apparently a common problem for early releases of the console.

Is it still under warranty?

Just as a note, there were many people who had trouble with Dead Rising as well.
Old 09-10-06, 11:10 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,847
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My question is on cooling. I would make sure the console is in a fairly open space and get a small portable fan and have it blowing right on the console while you are using it and see if the lock ups continue. Either that or one of the fans that attaches to the back of the console. From what I am seeing from people I know that have the console keeping it in a spot where it can circulate away the hot air is the most important factor in preventing lock ups.
Old 09-10-06, 11:23 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,631
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
My question is on cooling. I would make sure the console is in a fairly open space and get a small portable fan and have it blowing right on the console while you are using it and see if the lock ups continue. Either that or one of the fans that attaches to the back of the console. From what I am seeing from people I know that have the console keeping it in a spot where it can circulate away the hot air is the most important factor in preventing lock ups.
I'll second that. The one time mine froze up it was on a hot day and I forgot put my floor fan on the 360. No freeze ups since, even on hot days in my hot ass apartment.
Old 09-10-06, 12:05 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,306
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
My question is on cooling. I would make sure the console is in a fairly open space and get a small portable fan and have it blowing right on the console while you are using it and see if the lock ups continue. Either that or one of the fans that attaches to the back of the console. From what I am seeing from people I know that have the console keeping it in a spot where it can circulate away the hot air is the most important factor in preventing lock ups.

I'm no expert but I don't really think cooling is the problem. It's in a wide open space with plenty of ventilation and I know the internal fan is working. I assume this has been covered before, but how would I go about sending it back if it's under warranty? I've only had it for maybe 6 months or so. Do I send it directly to Microsoft or what?
Old 09-10-06, 06:01 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 10,705
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Call 1-800-4MY-XBOX and speak to a CSR about getting it fixed.
Old 09-10-06, 06:04 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,306
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob V
Call 1-800-4MY-XBOX and speak to a CSR about getting it fixed.

Alright. Thanks.
Old 09-11-06, 11:46 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,433
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whoopdido
I'm no expert but I don't really think cooling is the problem. It's in a wide open space with plenty of ventilation and I know the internal fan is working. I assume this has been covered before, but how would I go about sending it back if it's under warranty? I've only had it for maybe 6 months or so. Do I send it directly to Microsoft or what?
I personally don't think the internal fans are sufficient. Everything inside is tightly packed and generating a lot of heat.

Place your hand behind the 360 and feel the air that's being vented. Now, place your hand in front of one of those small portable heaters you can plug-in anywhere. Only difference is one of them has a harddrive and a shabby one at that.

Sorry. I had to 'vent'.
Old 09-11-06, 12:10 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,576
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remeber to CLEAR THE CACHE also. I always do this before every game and I get very free freezes. Just Hold "A" while the game boots up. I usually eject and close the game and hold "A" while I hit "Close Tray". Don't let go until the game starts.
Old 09-11-06, 09:08 PM
  #10  
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 1,156
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Centurion
I personally don't think the internal fans are sufficient. Everything inside is tightly packed and generating a lot of heat.

Place your hand behind the 360 and feel the air that's being vented. Now, place your hand in front of one of those small portable heaters you can plug-in anywhere. Only difference is one of them has a harddrive and a shabby one at that.

Sorry. I had to 'vent'.
To me, that would seem to indicate the fans are doing their job. Again, while I know there are some 360s with heating problems, I do not believe that it is the result of an inherent design flaw. If it is, then why do many 360s (including my own launch day unit), run acceptably warm and without issue? Again, I have had my 360 running for as much as 7 days straight without a problem. The problems have to be a combination of some user error (inadequate ventilation etc.) and some manufacturing defects.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.