Elder Scrolls Oblivion
The Outfit
Condemned
Perfect Dark
Madden 06
NCAA Football 07
Dead Rising
Saints Row

I barely played Oblivion and The Outfit. Condemned and Perfect Dark seemed to work fine, but the other 4 games freeze up constantly. I know that Madden 06 is known to be bad and the same goes for NCAA. I haven't heard anything about Dead Rising or Saints Row, but Dead Rising froze up on me the other day and I've had numerous problems so far with Saints Row. Is it the games themselves or is my console the problem. It's so frustrating. I mean I can play my Nintendo 64 circa 1996 and not have any problems but the so called latest and greatest technology is bascially worthless if I can't go more than 10 minutes without the game freezing up.
Old 09-10-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely seems like your console. Since you still haven't had the red rings of death, especially if you have been having these problems for a while over multiple games, I would think that your drive might be the issue. This was apparently a common problem for early releases of the console.

Is it still under warranty?

Just as a note, there were many people who had trouble with Dead Rising as well.
Old 09-10-06, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My question is on cooling. I would make sure the console is in a fairly open space and get a small portable fan and have it blowing right on the console while you are using it and see if the lock ups continue. Either that or one of the fans that attaches to the back of the console. From what I am seeing from people I know that have the console keeping it in a spot where it can circulate away the hot air is the most important factor in preventing lock ups.
Old 09-10-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
My question is on cooling. I would make sure the console is in a fairly open space and get a small portable fan and have it blowing right on the console while you are using it and see if the lock ups continue. Either that or one of the fans that attaches to the back of the console. From what I am seeing from people I know that have the console keeping it in a spot where it can circulate away the hot air is the most important factor in preventing lock ups.
I'll second that. The one time mine froze up it was on a hot day and I forgot put my floor fan on the 360. No freeze ups since, even on hot days in my hot ass apartment.
Old 09-10-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by darkside

I'm no expert but I don't really think cooling is the problem. It's in a wide open space with plenty of ventilation and I know the internal fan is working. I assume this has been covered before, but how would I go about sending it back if it's under warranty? I've only had it for maybe 6 months or so. Do I send it directly to Microsoft or what?
Old 09-10-06, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Call 1-800-4MY-XBOX and speak to a CSR about getting it fixed.
Old 09-10-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rob V
Call 1-800-4MY-XBOX and speak to a CSR about getting it fixed.

Alright. Thanks.
Old 09-11-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I'm no expert but I don't really think cooling is the problem. It's in a wide open space with plenty of ventilation and I know the internal fan is working. I assume this has been covered before, but how would I go about sending it back if it's under warranty? I've only had it for maybe 6 months or so. Do I send it directly to Microsoft or what?
I personally don't think the internal fans are sufficient. Everything inside is tightly packed and generating a lot of heat.

Place your hand behind the 360 and feel the air that's being vented. Now, place your hand in front of one of those small portable heaters you can plug-in anywhere. Only difference is one of them has a harddrive and a shabby one at that.

Sorry. I had to 'vent'.
Old 09-11-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Remeber to CLEAR THE CACHE also. I always do this before every game and I get very free freezes. Just Hold "A" while the game boots up. I usually eject and close the game and hold "A" while I hit "Close Tray". Don't let go until the game starts.
Old 09-11-06, 09:08 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Centurion
I personally don't think the internal fans are sufficient. Everything inside is tightly packed and generating a lot of heat.

Place your hand behind the 360 and feel the air that's being vented. Now, place your hand in front of one of those small portable heaters you can plug-in anywhere. Only difference is one of them has a harddrive and a shabby one at that.

Sorry. I had to 'vent'.
To me, that would seem to indicate the fans are doing their job. Again, while I know there are some 360s with heating problems, I do not believe that it is the result of an inherent design flaw. If it is, then why do many 360s (including my own launch day unit), run acceptably warm and without issue? Again, I have had my 360 running for as much as 7 days straight without a problem. The problems have to be a combination of some user error (inadequate ventilation etc.) and some manufacturing defects.