Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Playstation Memory card help

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 06:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Playstation Memory card help

Using a third-party Playstation memory card with Final Fantasy 7 on my PS2, go to save last night, and the file shows up, all is well. However, whenever I subsequently save, it shows no previous save files. At this point I'm getting concerned, so I save once more, hit reset and fire it up...yep, no save files. Is the card just DOA,or is there something else I need to do when playing playstation games/memory cards on the PS2? It's a newer model, slim PS2.
Old 09-06-06, 10:36 AM

Did it ask you to format the memory card? Try booting up and using the browser to select the memory card.
Old 09-06-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Third party memory cards are garbage, end of story. You need to locate a first party card.
Old 09-06-06, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me twice on DW7. Playing it on a PS2 with a 3rd party memory card. 1st time, it just said the file was corrupt (mind you, this was about 55 hours into the game).

A few months later, I built the resolve to start over, this time periodically backing up my generic PS1 file to my PS2 card for safe-keeping. I think, it has been a long time. Eventually my generic PS1 gave out again AT THE SAME POINT in the game. I bought a 1st party card and moved my backup file to it and never had a problem again.

Moral of the story, stay away from 3rd party memory units.
Old 09-06-06, 01:01 PM
Banned

Sounds like we have a concensus here - 3rd party cards are junk. Can anyone recommend a good deal on an official PS1 memory card?
Old 09-06-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by uwftke26
Sounds like we have a concensus here - 3rd party cards are junk. Can anyone recommend a good deal on an official PS1 memory card?
If you have a lot of EBs/GameStops in your area check them out, they'll be mixed in with the crap but they're all the same price ($3).
Old 09-06-06, 01:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Third party memory cards are garbage, end of story. You need to locate a first party card.