Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Best PC Games of the last 5 years (recommendations wanted)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Best PC Games of the last 5 years (recommendations wanted)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Serious Sam
Old 08-25-06, 10:29 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UAIOE
Serious Sam

I can't believe I forgot Serious Sam.

Also add Painkiller to the list.

Although, if you don't like the Doom style "kill everything that moves" FPS, then you might not like those two games.
Old 08-25-06, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hitman - Bloody Money
if you can find a copy of SYSTEM SHOCK 2, then you'll be set. The scariest, and greatest first-person shooter/RPG of all time.
Old 08-25-06, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kgrogers1979

Although, if you don't like the Doom style "kill everything that moves" FPS, then you might not like those two games.
Normally I do, but Doom 3's darkness hurt the game for me. I had more fun playing the Doom 1 mod for Doom 3. I also had fun playing Prey which was built on the Doom 3 engine.

I'm already downloading a bunch of demos and really appreciate everyone's suggestions. Finding time to play all of these will be a challenge, but considering how cheap many of the titles are now its not too bad of a deal.

BTW, though not really mentioned here I downloaded the Just Cause demo. It looked nice, but they don't seem to have added controller support to the PC demo and its a pain in the ass to play with a keyboard. How an Xbox360 title is released for the PC without supporting the Xbox360 controller is beyone me. The Darkstar One demo was a lot of fun. Not sure I want to spend $40 for it, but I will pick it up if I can find a deal on it. I've got several other games downloading as well.

Last edited by darkside; 08-25-06 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-25-06, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bf2
Old 08-26-06, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My favorite games of all time would be Baldur's Gate 2, Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 for the PC.
Old 08-26-06, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't get into painkiller, I really think the move to more objective based FPS's is for the best. The swarms of enemies just made the game mindless.
Old 08-26-06, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by msdmoney
I couldn't get into painkiller, I really think the move to more objective based FPS's is for the best. The swarms of enemies just made the game mindless.
The swarms thing seems a little old to me and I haven't played that many fps games in my life, but I really want to play painkiller as I've heard great things about the last level. Same thing goes for FEAR which I hear has a great ending.

A game that really gets no love, but I find relaxing as hell is Sim Golf.
Old 08-26-06, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gcribbs
My favorite games of all time would be Baldur's Gate 2, Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 for the PC.
Diablo 2 is $7.99 this Sunday at Circuit City so I will definitely pick that one up. I think I played and enjoyed Baldur's Gate on the GameCube so I will look into the PC versions. Not sure on Warcraft 3 and I'm actually nervous about trying World of Warcraft. That could be an expensive habit if I end up liking the game.
Old 08-26-06, 10:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by boredsilly
The swarms thing seems a little old to me and I haven't played that many fps games in my life, but I really want to play painkiller as I've heard great things about the last level. Same thing goes for FEAR which I hear has a great ending.

If you liked the original Doom games, then you will like Painkiller. Painkiller seems more like the original Doom games than Doom 3 did. Otherwise, if you don't like the old-school style FPS games, then don't bother with Painkiller or you will be disappointed.

FEAR is an awesome game. It actually has a pretty good story. The ending was pretty good, but it is a bit of a cliffhanger. At least the FEAR expansion pack and FEAR sequel have both been announced, so it won't be stuck as an unresolved cliffhanger (like Beyond Good & Evil ).

Originally Posted by darkside
I think I played and enjoyed Baldur's Gate on the GameCube so I will look into the PC versions.

Just a word of warning: the console Baldur's Gate games and the original PC Baldur's Gate games are as different as night and day. The console BG games were hack n slash action/adventure games with a few RPG elements tacked on.

The PC BG games are true RPGs that use the 2nd edition D&D ruleset. Both PC games are very good. If you never played D&D before, then you will probably be lost for awhile until you learn the rules. If you loved D&D as a kid, then the BG games will be your nerdy wet dream. Both games are long too. You can easily spend over 100 hours on BG2 if you do all the sidequests.

Also, it would be best to start with BG1 as BG2 begins right where BG1 ends. You can import your BG1 character into BG2, so you can play the entire saga as the same character and see your character go from a level 1 weakling to a level 40 godlike hero.
Old 08-26-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by kakihara1
Unreal Tournament 2K4

That's a big "AMEN" on that! I'll also second the Half-Life 2

Kenny J. - Buzz
Old 08-26-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you liked the original Doom games, then you will like Painkiller. Painkiller seems more like the original Doom games than Doom 3 did. Otherwise, if you don't like the old-school style FPS games, then don't bother with Painkiller or you will be disappointed.
Well just because the game play style is old doesn't mean it can't be fun. I look at it like I might look at console games like Streets of Rage. The days of the sidescrolling beat em ups are dead (replaced with the God of Wars and Devil May Crys), but those games can still be fun every now and again. Especially for letting off steam.

I played the demo of FEAR and was freaked out when the shadow of some little girl was running in front of me. Survival horror games, well good ones, are 1,000 times scarier for me than any horror movie. I'm such a chicken shit when it comes to those games even though I really like being scared. You should have seen me playing the early stages of Resident Evil 4.
Old 08-26-06, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Survival horror games, well good ones, are 1,000 times scarier for me than any horror movie. I'm such a chicken shit when it comes to those games even though I really like being scared. You should have seen me playing the early stages of Resident Evil 4.
FEAR is pretty intense with the surround sound going. I was sneaking around in the dark today during interval 6 and knocked over a chair or something behind me. The sound made me jump and I ended up shooting out a window letting all the enemy soldiers know exactly were I was hiding. They mix in enough of the crazy ghosts and flashbacks to keep you on edge the whole time you play.

BTW, I made a run today to a Half Priced Books and scored a few games.
Freedom Force vs The Third Reich ($5) still can't find the first one locally
Painkiller single disc 12 level version ($5) figure if I like it I will hunt down the full game
Mafia ($1)
No One Lives Forever 2 ($5) Still looking for the first one
Broken Sword The Sleeping Dragon ($5)

I'm going to hit a few other places over the next week or so and online if I strike out there. Hoping I can find many of them in the $5 range. Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions. I have a huge list right now to slowly fill.

Last edited by darkside; 08-26-06 at 11:05 PM.