Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Doom 3 worth getting for the 360 ??

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-14-06, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the title says, is this title worth getting ?

I have been told that Doom 3 is superb, just a bit concerend it aint HD and the difference might p me off.

thanks
Old 08-14-06, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't really like Doom 3 very much, it was very repetitive, monsters appearing behind you gets old really fast. It is a decent enough game, but there are better FPS's for the XBOX. Note, I did play Doom 3 on the PC, but I think they are pretty close.

If I had to recommend some FPS's for the XBOX I would go with Halo 1/2, or Half Life 2, but I am not sure if those are compatible with the 360.

Last edited by msdmoney; 08-14-06 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-14-06, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have Doom3 on the PC and its pretty mediocre. Great visuals, boring and repetitive game play. The game being so dark kind of kills all the pretty visuals. Granted its only like $10 for the Xbox version now so for that price its worth it. My favorite part of the PC version is the Doom 1 mod. Playing Doom 1 on the Doom 3 engine is pretty damn sweet.

There are much better FPS games out there. I picked up Prey and F.E.A.R. today and both are vastly superior to Doom 3 already and I'm only an hour in on both. For the Xbox you should really start with the amazing Half Life 2 (or the Halo games obviously) before anything else.
Old 08-14-06, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I played Doom3 on Xbox for about 45 minutes, then I just kinda never got back to it. It wasn't a bad game, from what I could tell, but it certainly didn't grab my interest.

I'd suggest trying Far Cry: Instincts for the Xbox, if you haven't already. I liked that game more than Doom3, Half-Life 2, and even Halo 2.
Old 08-15-06, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Edgler Vess
As the title says, is this title worth getting ?

I have been told that Doom 3 is superb, just a bit concerend it aint HD and the difference might p me off.

thanks
I would say no.

Don't get me wrong, DOOM 3 has awesome graphic, but gameplay isn't great. I got bored with it half way and I decided to rush through with cheat codes (PC game) to reach boss. After I defeated it, I never play it again.

There's few other FPS games that are much better than DOOM 3, such as Call of Duty 2, Far Cry, etc...
Old 08-15-06, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed DOOM for some reason. It's one of the few FPS I've finished. I actually have it still...although, I will trade it in eventually.
Old 08-15-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I thought it was pretty good. I would probably suggest the expansion which was released seperately. It's shorter but includes a few updates which make it more playable like have a gun and light out at the same time.
Old 08-15-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I haven't played it but you might want to check out Condemned: Criminal Origins, my favorite single-player FPS on the 360. It has no MP, but it's $30 this week at Best Buy and definitely worth it. Scary as hell.
Old 08-15-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really enjoyed Doom 3, but I only played it alone with all of the lights in the apt. out.

I also like old school FPS as well.
Old 08-15-06, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think he was referring to the visuals and play on the 360...and I believe if you get the limited edition, you get Doom 1 as well.

For $10, most high-profile games are worth getting