Reload this Page >

Deep Labyrinth: DS RPG

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-14-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone heard anything about this game? It comes out this week and looks like it could be good. IGN's last preview which was in June said that it's a cross between Oblivion and Narnia. I haven't seen any reviews yet but I may be picking it up later in the week when it's in stores.
Old 08-14-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a dungeon crawler, so I'll probably be picking it up.

I don't think it's going to be something that tradtional RPG fans will be looking for though, so just keep that in mind.
Old 08-14-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Any game that gets compared to Oblivion/Morrowind is one that I have to look into. Obviously it would be nearly as big as those two but if it offers the same type of open-ended gameplay I'm all over it.
Old 08-16-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not looking too good so far. RPGGamer and EGM both slammed it. One person in EGM gave it a 2. Still waiting on IGN to post something. I haven't seen it in stores yet. Regardless of the scores I'm still interested.
Old 08-16-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

EGM. No surprise there.

As I said, it's not a full-fledged RPG, it's a dungeon crawler. Anyone expecting (or wanting) more isn't going to like it.
Old 08-16-06, 01:06 PM
Retired

It got a 2.0, 3.0 and 7.5 in EGM (though I saw elsewhere that it was posted in a blog by the reviewer that the 7.5 should be 6.5). Saw on CAG that Famitsu gave it a 26/40.

Didn't sound like my cup of tea from the review. Didn't even sound like a particularly good dungeon crawler for people that haven't gotten sick of that genre yet.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 08-16-06 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-16-06, 01:27 PM
Retired

Here's the 1up.com review which gave it a 6.5.

by Jeremy Parish 08/15/2006

Deep Labyrinth is not a game that will appeal to everyone, in large part because it's a straight-up dungeon hack -- a niche genre if ever there was one. Yet an even bigger factor may be that its sense of schizophrenia runs as deep as the eponymous labyrinth itself. This is a game conflicted at the genetic level, a DS port of a 3D cell-phone adventure. Unsurprisingly, this transition has resulted in a control scheme that could charitably be called terrible, graphics that don't exactly push the DS to its limits, and dual scenarios with wildly different tones and difficulty levels.

To drive the knife a little deeper, the names attached to this particular adventure will doubtlessly give rise to certain expectations -- with a scenario by Chrono Cross/Xenogears helmsman Masato Kato and a soundtrack by his compatriot Yasunori Mitsuda, Deep Labyrinth probably ought to be an RPG juggernaut. It really isn't, though. While the musical score is gorgeous, the story is just sort of there. That's the case in the second scenario, anyway; in the first half of the game, the mindless "plucky lad follows his runaway puppy into adventure" nonsense (better suited to a poor Saturday morning cartoon than a self-respecting videogame) is worse than dull.

Part of the first scenario's problem is it was newly added to appeal to the DS demographic, which developer Interactive Brains' focus test apparently indicated consists of brain-dead 8-year-olds. Meanwhile, the original scenario is relegated to "part two" status -- it's a dauntingly difficult and slightly morose quest through brutal, monster-infested mazes. The first story is built around the same play mechanics, but it's much dopier in tone and takes quite a bit longer to get around to posing anything like a challenge. It's unbelievably boring for the first hour or so, another case of developers utterly and completely failing to make a good first impression.

Where most games have difficulty curves -- usually arcing gently or sharply upward over time -- Deep Labyrinth has an enjoyment curve. The opening portions of the game transpire in a series of dull, boxlike, interconnected fields, which, combined with the completely wretched D-pad-and-stylus control scheme and cumbersome symbol-based magic system (which feels like a magical version of Palm's Graffiti alphabet) makes for an almost unbearable beginning.

Eventually, though, the tedious boxes give way to intricate underground mazes full of monsters, treasures, hidden pathways, and satisfyingly phat loot. Handily, the change in pace coincides with the time it takes to grow comfortable with the interface -- meaning that once you get to the titular labyrinth, the game becomes pretty good.

For what it is, of course. If you're not into dungeon hacks, Deep Labyrinth certainly won't do much to win your heart. It's like a faster, more fluid King's Field, all the way down to the ugly, 3DO-quality graphics -- not everyone's cup of mead, to be certain, but still a satisfying first-person hack-n-slash for those who prefer to take their treasure-hunting on the go.
Old 08-17-06, 02:32 PM
Retired

6.5 from IGN as well.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/725/725603p1.html

Also read that it was originally a cellphone game, which is why the controls are sucky. i.e. they didn't do much to adapt it to the DS.
Old 08-17-06, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read through it this morning. Although it shipped, EB/Gamestop are already backordered on their site. I'm going to look for it in stores after work today.