Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official PS3 Thread Part II.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sony just bit off more than they could chew with the cell and BlueRay.
Old 11-08-06, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061108/tc_nm/sony_ps3_dc_1

Sony firm on U.S. pricing for PlayStation 3

By Michael Kahn
1 hour, 20 minutes ago

SAN JOSE, California (Reuters) - Sony Corp. (6758.T) has no plans to cut the price of its upcoming PlayStation 3 video game console in the United States, despite a recent cut announced for Japan, the chief of the company's U.S. electronic entertainment division said on Wednesday.

Kaz Hirai, president and chief executive of Sony ComputerEntertainment America, told Reuters the company would stick with its planned price tags of $499 and $599 when the new PlayStation 3 consoles hit retailers' shelves in the United States on November 17.

"We are very comfortable with the pricing we have announced and have gotten tremendous support from retailers for that price point," Hirai said on the sidelines of the Dow Jones VentureWire Consumer Technology Conference. "So it is full steam ahead with the pricing of $499 and $599."

Sony will introduce the PS3 in Japan on November 11 with the North American launch to follow six days later. The two regions are the two biggest markets for consoles in the $30 billion video game market.

Hirai also said the company was sticking with its forecast of supplying two million units of the PS3 by December and another four million by March as planned.

"That is the goal we are working toward to deliver and hopefully exceed those numbers," he said.

But after several delays, the PS3 will have to play catch up to rival Microsoft Corp.'s (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) Xbox 360, which the company introduced last year.

Hirai, however, said he was confident the PS3 would make up lost ground because of features including a Blu-ray high-definition DVD player.

He also said the true test for the PS3, Xbox 360 and Nintendo's (7974.OS) forthcoming Wii would be next year when the consoles are all available at retailers and consumers have a true choice.

The Wii is Nintendo's planned next-generation video game console, which is highly anticipated because of a remote control with motion sensors that can be swung like a sword or used imaginatively in other games.

"If you look back at the history of product launches we were never first," Hirai said at the conference. "The real test comes when any other products are available in abundance so the consumer can walk into any retailer and pick up whatever console they want."

Consumers have a growing number of digital and online entertainment options, ranging from Apple Computer Inc.'s(Nasdaq:AAPL - news) iTunes music store to YouTube Internet video site.

Yet Hirai said he was not so worried digital devices and online entertainment options would necessarily divert consumers from video game consoles such as PS3.

"There have always been other entertainment options," he said. "Certainly YouTube and iPods are other entertainment options we are now competing with."

Boy, I'm just full of bad news today!

But it doesn't make sense to lower the price of something that is going to be in high demand. I've always wondered why they lowered the price in Japan where supply will not exceed demand for many months after launch!

Chris
Old 11-08-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually wish they would have charged more for the PS3.
Old 11-08-06, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
I actually wish they would have charged more for the PS3.
I'm interested to know why?
Old 11-08-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts
Originally Posted by gmal2003
Im guessing from your username you work at K-Mart?
Yeah, I am the electronics manager at my store right now.
Old 11-08-06, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 11-08-06 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-08-06, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They had the PS3 display set up at my local Best Buy tonight. I played a little NBA 07 - the tv sets were capable of 720p, so I didn't get a chance to check it out in 1080p. I watched a few of the demos as well, which were admittedly quite impressive (although I suck at being able to tell what's in-game graphics and what's not). The controllers felt similar to the PS2 controllers, a minus for me since I have large hands, but if you loved the dualshock, I see no reason why you wouldn't love these as well. They have the controllers inside these plastic holders to prevent theft, which made it almost impossible for my fat fingers to hit the start button. This meant I couldn't skip past the intro screens for each demo and video like you normally would (I swear NBA 07 has over 10 intro screens before you can actually get to the start menu), so I didn't spend a lot of time messing with it - it was taking too long and I felt guilty that my 5 year old son was running around the aisles while his 33 year old father was playing a videogame

No one walking by really stopped and looked or really even noticed it - I wish I could say that was a good sign of local disinterest for next Friday, but I know that's wishful thinking on my part!!
Old 11-08-06, 07:59 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

For anyone wondering, those pics are the Best Buy in West LA. People are camping at the Burbank, CA one already too.

What's with the Penguin? Linux?

Last edited by Flay; 11-08-06 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-08-06, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Absolute Zero
I'm interested to know why?
well, would the scalpers have run out and sucked up as many as they could if it sold for 1500.00?

sure, some still would but I'd have to guess that it be nowhere near as many as there are now though.
Old 11-08-06, 08:54 PM
Banned

well, would the scalpers have run out and sucked up as many as they could if it sold for 1500.00?

sure, some still would but I'd have to guess that it be nowhere near as many as there are now though.
If the PS3 retailed for $1500, they would have just been sold on ebay for $3000.

Anyway, if Sony would have set such a high retail price like that, it would have caused a lot of trouble. Sure all the hardcore gamers would still gobble up all the launch systems, but what happens next spring? Nobody else will buy it for $1500, so Sony would be forced to lower the price to a more normal $400-$600. A price cut that huge and that quickly after launch would send all kinds of bad signals to the public. The public would think that the PS3s are inferior or faulty or not selling or something to cause such a price cut. This would hurt Sony even further.
Old 11-08-06, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Yeah, I am the electronics manager at my store right now.
I am surprised most Kmarts are getting any at all. Last year I don't think any Kmart in Minnesota got a 360. I have a friend that's the electronics manager at my local Kmart - I told her to keep me informed.
Old 11-08-06, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Genji: Days of the Blade - GameSpot Review

Final Score =
Spoiler:
6.4/10
Old 11-08-06, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Daryl
They had the PS3 display set up at my local Best Buy tonight. I played a little NBA 07 - the tv sets were capable of 720p, so I didn't get a chance to check it out in 1080p. I watched a few of the demos as well, which were admittedly quite impressive (although I suck at being able to tell what's in-game graphics and what's not). The controllers felt similar to the PS2 controllers, a minus for me since I have large hands, but if you loved the dualshock, I see no reason why you wouldn't love these as well. They have the controllers inside these plastic holders to prevent theft, which made it almost impossible for my fat fingers to hit the start button. This meant I couldn't skip past the intro screens for each demo and video like you normally would (I swear NBA 07 has over 10 intro screens before you can actually get to the start menu), so I didn't spend a lot of time messing with it - it was taking too long and I felt guilty that my 5 year old son was running around the aisles while his 33 year old father was playing a videogame

No one walking by really stopped and looked or really even noticed it - I wish I could say that was a good sign of local disinterest for next Friday, but I know that's wishful thinking on my part!!
I saw the PS3 kiosk at my Best Buy as well, and two kids were playing the NBA game. I had a chance to pick up the controller when they were done, but I couldn't figure out how to get to the system menu. I tried hitting the center button on the controller, but it didn't appear to do anything. As much as I wanted to see the other demos/videos, I wound up just letting 2 kids behind me play since they were so excited about it.
Old 11-08-06, 09:22 PM
Banned

People are camping for a PS3 already??? I haven't been following too closely, but I thought Nov 17th was the launch day? These people are going to camp out in front of Best Buy for more than a week??? Good lord and I thought I had no life.

If these people are really going to camp for a week, where is all their food and stuff? They seem to have way too few supplies to last them a week. And Best Buy is okay with them sitting in front of the store like a bunch of worthless bums for a whole week?
Old 11-08-06, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin

That looks like the store in Burbank, CA

Chris
Old 11-08-06, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Flay
For anyone wondering, those pics are the Best Buy in West LA. People are camping at the Burbank, CA one already too.

What's with the Penguin? Linux?
Are you sure, those look like the Empire Center in Burbank.

Chris
Old 11-08-06, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
Gamespot Chimed in with their first reviews:

Genji: Days of the Blade - 6.4 out of 10.0

Pros: Great graphics and sound show off some of what the PlayStation 3 can do; four considerably different playable characters plus multiple unique weapons; some exciting boss battles and other impressive set pieces.

Cons: Level design is often dull, and sometimes frustrating and confusing; repetitive hack-and-slash combat rarely demands much skill or finesse; some noticeable cut corners throughout the story make the game feel rushed.

^^ The review mentions slowdown on some more screen filled moments, slowdown was the one thing I was hoping the PS3 would (largely) do away with I'd rather have slightly watered down graphics and pure smoothness than the other way around.

Tony Hawk Project 8 - 7.3 out of 10.0

Pros: Redesigned career mode gives you multiple levels of challenge; nail the trick mode is a cool-looking addition that has a positive impact on the gameplay.

Cons: Frame rate is frequently unstable; no online support; skater creation options aren't as in-depth as they have been in previous installments.

Comparison to X360 Version (7.9 out of 10.0) :

Unfortunately, some technical glitches and unstable frame rates plague both the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 version of the game.

Those frame-rate problems hit the PlayStation 3 version of the game significantly harder than the Xbox 360. Other than the choppy frame rate and slightly sharper graphics on the PlayStation 3, some of which is only noticeable when using an HDMI cable on a high-end HDTV, the games look roughly the same. But there are other, more significant differences between the two versions. The Xbox 360 version has online support for up to eight players, including a new game mode called walls, which gives your skater a tall trail behind him that behaves sort of like the light cycles in Tron--if you hit another player's wall, you're out. The Xbox 360 version also uses its online support to present a lot of different online leaderboards. Much like Amped 3, many of the different goals in the game have their own individual leaderboard, which adds some competition to the single-player game and gives you a reason to keep on playing the same goals again and again. Without this, the PS3 version feels sort of flat by comparison.

The PlayStation 3 version of the game distinguishes itself by offering complete support for the Sixaxis controller's motion-sensing abilities. You can set it to just control functions like balancing, if you like, or you can move and execute tricks with it, as well. It works, but it lacks the precision offered by the D pad, so it's a neat experiment that's pretty good at showing off what the Sixaxis is capable of, but you probably wouldn't want to play through the game this way. The PlayStation 3 version also installs a 264MB cache file onto the system's hard drive when you first put the game in your system. Presumably, this is done to help speed up loading, but the load times don't seem much better than the Xbox 360 version of the game. If you're in a position where you have to choose between the two versions of the game, the Xbox 360 version offers a more complete package. The Tony Hawk series was a pioneer when it came to being online on the PlayStation 2, and its omission on the PS3 is completely crazy and thoroughly disappointing.
Seems to me they were rushed, that's a shame.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-08-06 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-08-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got to play NBA 07 tonight on the PS3 demo unit at my local Target. The loading times weren't anywhere bad as I thought they were - maybe 20 seconds longer than it would take a sports game to load on the 360, which isn't bad at all. The only thing is that there are quite a few screens to get past before you even get to the main menu and you cannot press X or Start to advance past them. Hopefully that will change in the future, though. The graphics looked amazing, but not a huge graphical leap over the 360 IMO. The player models were superb withall the player faces looking very accurate, and the framerate was silky smooth. The sound was also quite wonderful - the commentary, the crowd, and the ambient noise were all very well done.

The SIXAXIS controller felt just like the Dual Shock controller except for the new trigger things on the back of the controller. It seems Sony took a page from Microsoft in that department, but that's not a bad thing. I still prefer the 360 controller over this one, but Sony definitely has made strides to improve. I just know I'm still going to miss the rumble feature, though.
Old 11-08-06, 10:43 PM

just crazy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultimate-Playsta...em140046797889
Old 11-08-06, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is a link with a picture of the HD bay cover off.

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Screens/ScreenShots.htm?CS_pid={7FE07A33-680C-41DE-89B0-C57BA701AAEB}
Old 11-08-06, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

no ****ing way people are camping out right now. Probably people just pretending, and leaving as soon as they take their picture. A better strategy would be to fly to the middle of nowhere and get one if you're going to spend that much time (in most cases time = money, at least for me).
Old 11-08-06, 11:41 PM

How did that guy get 14 pre-orders? I have been on the ball for a year searching and still never got one.
Old 11-08-06, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
I'm sure Microsoft is getting a good chuckle out of it also!

Chris
Your right. I just brought up Nintendo due to how close the launches are together.
Old 11-09-06, 01:22 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
We already got copies of Tony Hawk for PS3 at work today. They're in Blu-ray cases, but the cases are completely clear. Not very eye-catching, but it does differentiate the cases from the movies.
Old 11-09-06, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin

I just saw these idiots tonight. I just looked at them and shook my head.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.