Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Any news on Chromehounds?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True.. I asked because I wanted DVDtalkers opinions...
Old 07-12-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Centurion
Gamerankings

A word of caution:
Teamxbox was one of a few (perhaps the only) game reviewers to get a copy of the 'nearly-finished' product. Even before the game was officially released, they had a 2-3 page write-up on the single player aspect of the game, a 2-3 page on the multiplayer, and a segment on customizing your mech.
My point is, I believe their grading and opinion on this game is strongly biased by the game developers...it's like an auto magazine saying in a comparison report that "the 2007 Toyota Yaris feels like a musclecar and is our #1 choice." You later notice that the mag is filled with ads by Toyota.

Yeah, that's a problem with some of the larger sites. It's all about payola...
Old 07-12-06, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
IGN review is up. 6.9

Closing Comments
If you don't have Xbox Live, don't bother with this game. Since all the single-player missions are training sessions for the online experience, it really feels like an incomplete, unfulfilling package by itself. That being said, the online modes definitely deserve credit. It's one of the most robust multiplayer packages on the Xbox 360, offering a persistent world within which players can wage numerous sorts of war, make money, buy more parts and assemble more powerful Hounds. Despite the options for customization, Chromehounds' core battle mechanics suffer from a severe lack of variety. Since each Hound is so slow, there's little to do in battle aside from aim, lazily strafe, and shoot. Gauging aimed shots isn't difficult; most players should get the idea within an hour or two of training. As such, it's only those who are willing to use each of the six RTs to their fullest tactical potential that will glean any enjoyment from this game. Yet even while using proper RT tactical maneuvers, playing Chromehounds only amounts to a point and shoot experience, despite its impressive customization complexities.

5.0 Presentation
Cutscenes and characters aren't interesting. There's an extensive storyline, but it lacks personality. Menus fumble with the number of options available.
7.5 Graphics
Excellent lighting, Hound animation, and explosion effects are offset by sparse environments, repetitive structures, and the fact that units disappear when they explode.
6.5 Sound
A pleasant symphonic score occasionally crops up, accompanied by good explosion audio. Uninspired voice acting inhabits what's otherwise a barren soundtrack.
5.0 Gameplay
If only there were more to controlling Hounds. As it is, their simple, slow movement, and aiming mechanics undercut both online an offline modes.
8.5 Lasting Appeal
An nearly unrivaled amount of Hound customization and online options await players. Playing online also opens the door for tactical play, though the same mediocre gameplay persists.