Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Are the 360 system problems still an issue?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Are the 360 system problems still an issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
If you have the extended warranty, then yes, it does carry over to your replacement console. Theoretically, you get unlimited repairs/exchanges for the full 2 years.
I don't have the extended warranty, but in this case I feel that I shouldn't need it:

-I paid them $125 to fix my 360

-In lieu of fixing my machine, they sent me a replacement

-the replacement is faulty

To me that's the same as them fixing my original, sending it back to me, and it still not working. Now, of course when I call them, they'll probably see it differently.
Old 10-27-06, 02:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Daryl
-I paid them $125 to fix my 360

-In lieu of fixing my machine, they sent me a replacement
I could be wrong about this, but I think when you paid the $125, they gave you the extended warranty. It was just at a higher price since you didn't buy it back when you first bought the console.

I could be wrong about this too, but I think Microsoft sends everyone a replacement console. They take your broken one, fix it, and then send it to some other person that calls in. I think this happens with pretty much everyone.
Old 10-27-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I could be wrong about this, but I think when you paid the $125, they gave you the extended warranty. It was just at a higher price since you didn't buy it back when you first bought the console.
Hmm, that would be interesting and make sense. i'll check with them tonight. Thanks!

I could be wrong about this too, but I think Microsoft sends everyone a replacement console. They take your broken one, fix it, and then send it to some other person that calls in. I think this happens with pretty much everyone.
I didn't even mind getting a replacement, I figured I would. But I had hoped the replacement wouldn't scratch up brand new games!
Old 10-27-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I finally got around to calling Xbox Support today. I didn't purchase the 2 year warranty when I first got the console last Christmas. I got a little nervous after all the stories about the Red Ring of Death, and I freaked out when I got the ring of death a few months ago. Luckily, my console still worked after that, and I haven't had problems since. Then came the story that Microsoft was going to extend the warranty for consoles made in 2005. I realized that November is quickly approaching, so I finally made the call. I asked if I could purchase the 2-year extended warranty, and they let me do it without a problem. Who knows if I'll ever need it, but after all these scares, at least I know I'll be covered (minus shipping now, apparently) for a couple more years.
Old 10-27-06, 06:30 PM
Banned

Yes they are still having trouble. I got mine in april and 4 days ago the ill fated 3 red lights appeared and now it wont work. I bought mine from Dell.com so no extended warranty was offered and MS wants me to pay 140 to fix it, which I dont have so Im screwed here witha system that doesnt work, 8 games and I cant play and a crap load live arcade titles til it get it fixed
Old 10-27-06, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

just bought one from costco, so no need to worry about the extended warranty. hopefully mine doesn't crap out.
Old 10-27-06, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by jiggawhat
just bought one from costco, so no need to worry about the extended warranty. hopefully mine doesn't crap out.
How long does Costco's no-questions returns last?
Old 10-27-06, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Just like everyone suspected, stay away from the Nyko Intercooler. It hurts your system more than it helps it. Read on.
Old 10-27-06, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Ha!!! I was at the Best Buy on PCH in Torrance CA and their display 360 has 2 flashing red rings and is giving the multi-language "Contact Support" message.

What does 2 red rings mean again?
Old 10-27-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Artman
How long does Costco's no-questions returns last?
Costco will take back anything for any reason for forever...
Old 10-28-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Ha!!! I was at the Best Buy on PCH in Torrance CA and their display 360 has 2 flashing red rings and is giving the multi-language "Contact Support" message.

What does 2 red rings mean again?
Two lights means it's overheating. It's amazing what one can find out by using a little thing called google.

Speaking of system failures, my launch system finally shit the bed yesterday. I made the call to customer service and all I can say is that I'm going to be pretty pissed if I don't get it back in time for the release of COD 3 and Gears of War.

Last edited by Obey The D; 10-28-06 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-28-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Obey The D
Two lights means it's overheating. It's amazing what one can find out by using a little thing called google.
I'm glad it came in handy. You should Bookmark it for my future questions I may have.

1. Using google to find answers for yourself...Cool!
2. Getting others to use google to find the answer for you...Fuckin' Awesome!!
Old 10-28-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bikerfool
Yes they are still having trouble. I got mine in april and 4 days ago the ill fated 3 red lights appeared and now it wont work. I bought mine from Dell.com so no extended warranty was offered and MS wants me to pay 140 to fix it, which I dont have so Im screwed here witha system that doesnt work, 8 games and I cant play and a crap load live arcade titles til it get it fixed
Don't they come with a one year warranty?? Why do they want you to pay for it?
Old 10-28-06, 05:27 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a 360, but really don't want to hassle with a product that might not even work right long-term...have whatever problems there were with the 360s been fixed with new ones?
Old 10-28-06, 07:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fmian
Don't they come with a one year warranty?? Why do they want you to pay for it?

I was told it is only a 90 day warranty from xbox. So since im beyond the 90 days and it was made 23 days after they extended the warranty...they tell me I have to pay...unreal huh?
Old 10-28-06, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by aktick
I'm thinking about getting a 360, but really don't want to hassle with a product that might not even work right long-term...have whatever problems there were with the 360s been fixed with new ones?
I know three people that bought new units anywhere from 6-9 months ago and don't have issues at all so I'm hopeful that this is going to work itself out. At this point though the Xbox360 has a reputation worse than the PS2 at its "disc read error" height of fame.

I miss the days of consoles that you knew would last 10-20 years easily. I doubt the 360 or PS3 will last more than 2-3 years of regular use. They just run too hot and are too compact.
Old 10-29-06, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bikerfool
I was told it is only a 90 day warranty from xbox. So since im beyond the 90 days and it was made 23 days after they extended the warranty...they tell me I have to pay...unreal huh?
Only 90 days??
Don't you have some law in your country that says any electrical appliance has to have at least 12 months warranty?
How did MS get away with only giving 90days???
Old 10-29-06, 05:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by darkside
I miss the days of consoles that you knew would last 10-20 years easily. I doubt the 360 or PS3 will last more than 2-3 years of regular use. They just run too hot and are too compact.

Maybe that is why Nintendo was so adamant about never switching to CD technology a decade ago? Maybe they were psychic and knew all these advanced technologies would break down much easier.

Of course, there is no way anyone could still use the old cartridge format nowadays with all these huge file sizes. I wonder how much a 5GB cartridge game would cost?

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 10-29-06 at 05:45 AM.
Old 10-29-06, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by darkside

Uhm what world was this? Every console I've had since Atari 2600 has had "issues" at some point. Some major, some minor...Some sooner, some later.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-29-06 at 05:45 AM.
Old 10-29-06, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Uhm what world was this? Every console I've had since Atari 2600 has had "issues" at some point. Some major, some minor...Some sooner, some later.
Maybe I'm just lucky then but my Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Genesis, Sega CDX, 3DO, PSone and Dreamcast all still work fine and my Saturn was still working great when I sold it a couple of years ago. The only clunker console I ever owned was the PS2. I did replace my launch GameCube after 5 years, but it still technically worked. I just wanted another component out Cube and had a feeling the Cube might be on its last legs after 5 years of really heavy use.

I have no faith in either the PS3 or Xbox360 to hold up to really heavy use for 5 years. All that heat will take its toll and its becoming obvious that corners are cut on these consoles due to the heavy losses Sony and MS take on them. Sony wants the PS3 to be used constantly as a game machine and movie player. I can't wait to see the fail rate of these things. Between the heat, fans, blu-ray drive, internal HDD and internal power supply there is just so much to go wrong and so little chance of Sony building these things to last consider how much money they already lose on them. However, I hope to be really wrong about that. I went through a lot of PS2 replacements and don't wish that on anyone with a $600 console.
Old 10-30-06, 12:56 PM
Cool New Member

I am on my 2nd 360 after the Crimson Trinity of Doom!

I would gladly trade my sleek curvy 360 for a big, clunky one with proper airflow. My launch console passed away late September, quite coincidentally a week after I bought Dead Rising.

Frstdejo
Old 10-30-06, 01:14 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I dont think overheating is the reason for every breakdown. My console is still going strong and its a:

--launch console
--sitting in a cabinet with 3" max airflow on 3 sides (open back)
--played Dead Rising for hours and hours
--played every day sometimes for hours at a time (or to play movies)

I dont care if mine breaks. It will be fixed free and im not such a loser that I cant live without it for a few weeks
Old 10-30-06, 03:45 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
I'm about to get one (just got about 12 games in the EB/FYE combo deal), and I am thinking that I might as well add one of those fan/coolers to it.

Any thoughts on the pros/cons of those add-ons?
Old 10-30-06, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm about to get one (just got about 12 games in the EB/FYE combo deal), and I am thinking that I might as well add one of those fan/coolers to it.

Someone posted an article talking about how the way the intercooler shares power with the 360 "may" cause problems. I'm not sure about other coolers if they're out there. I can't find the post but you might have better luck.

Do what I do and just point your room fan on your 360 when you play it.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-31-06 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-31-06, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor

A few posts above: Intercooler Woes

The article makes sense, give it a read.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.