Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Are the 360 system problems still an issue?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Are the 360 system problems still an issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
Now i just hope MARTIN's. dies!
Wow dude that's really uncalled for anyhow mine will live FOREVER (hopefully it dies in a year)
Old 06-08-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by IanHummel
I got mine at launch. Now it's a freezing POS. MS told me it'd be $125 to fix it. A$$holes.
You need to call them back right away and hope to get a better customer service person, I'm betting with one or two more calls you'll be taken care of properly.
Old 06-08-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I just got mine.. ahem... 'a' 360 back last week after I sent mine in for the red ring of death. I've probably played 3-4 nights since then. It has already frozen on me at least a half dozen times during Burnout. This 'new' system was manufactured in Feb.

MS sure knows how to build 'em.
Old 06-11-06, 04:44 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by JaxComet
I purchased the original XBOX and XBOX 360 at launch and never had a problem with either..........
Same here.
Old 06-11-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My brother in law just got his a few weeks ago. Checked it out today and I tossed in a DVD to show him that he could watch movies on it without having to buy the remote (unlike the old Xbox) and to show him how to control the movies with the controller. First the movie skipped a few times while watching it. Thought maybe it was the disc. Started playing Perfect Dark and after 10 minutes or so it froze. Restarted and it froze again after a few minutes. Tried NBA2K6 and halfway through the first quarter it again froze. We finally just gave up.

I realize my opinion is getting influenced by this one system and the complaints from people here, but I don't think its too early to give the Xbox360 the crown for most unreliable hardware ever. This seems worse than even the PS2 disc read error at this point which at least you could tinker with and fix on some systems.

No fucking way I spend $400 on this system with quality still so uncertain and I have now scratched it off of my buy list. Maybe MS can deal with the quality issues over the next few months and fix this, but their 90 day warranty is bullshit for a console with such quality issues. Amazing that Microsoft managed to put the reliability of Windows in a standalone console.

Last edited by darkside; 06-11-06 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-12-06, 10:22 AM

90 days is the MINIMUM warranty. It is only the express warranty.

Every state also has implied warranties, which is why nobody has had to pay anything for a replacement/fix yet.
Old 06-12-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Are the 360 problems occuring more on systems that have the hard drive...or it doesn't matter which version for the 360 you have?
Old 06-12-06, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Are the 360 problems occuring more on systems that have the hard drive...or it doesn't matter which version for the 360 you have?
The problem is it seems most people have the harddrive so its hard to get a good sample. I know several people with 360s and all bought the premium pack.
Old 06-13-06, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

If the hard drive was the problem they would have you ship it back with your system, which as of right now they want you to keep the HD while they repair the system.
Old 06-14-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wonder if overheating is an issue.
The Xbox 360 sure has a loud fan which you could hear at times (especially when a game is loading the next level, map, etc.).
Stick your hand behind the 360 (without even touching it) and you'll feel lots of hot air being blown out.

Nyko has an Xbox 360 Intercooler, an external fan which clips onto the rear of the 360. Has anyone tried this to see if it helps with all the freezing issues?
Old 06-19-06, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
My 360 froze on me 3 times Sunday. Twice online(Star Wars BFII) and once in GRAW single player. Each time it happened stopping the game by hitting OPEN solved the freeze. Anyway, at first I thought the online freezing was just me joining 2 games that were finished. Then the GRAW freeze happened and it all made sense to me.

It overheated. Normally, whenever I play the 360 I point my floor fan at it to keep it cool. However, it was very warm in LA on Sunday and my apartment is particularly sensitive to temps outside so I had the fan on oscillate so I could get some air. I guess this meant the 360 wasn't getting it's normal share of air.

Once I pointed the fan towards the 360, on high for good measure, there were no more freezes as I continued to play for another 25 minutes.

With that said I still think things are cool with it. I'm not worried about any problems at this point.
Old 06-19-06, 08:46 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

My second 360 has essentially become useless, with the exception of arcade and marketplace stuff. The first went the way of the 3 red rings of death and its replacement has a faulty disc drive after 2 months of usage. I'm going to be pissed if they send me another turkey.
Old 06-19-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by Flay
My second 360 has essentially become useless, with the exception of arcade and marketplace stuff. The first went the way of the 3 red rings of death and its replacement has a faulty disc drive after 2 months of usage. I'm going to be pissed if they send me another turkey.

You see, the disc drive was the problem on my original XBOX. Why are they putting crap drives in their 360/XBOX units?
Old 06-19-06, 12:30 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Why are they putting crap drives in their 360/XBOX units?
Crappy low quality drives are cheaper than good quality drives which yields more profit for Microsoft. It's all about the $$$.
Old 06-24-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts
Another reason why I'm holding out till fall. Just kidding. Doesn't matter what you have out there there's always going to be some "bad apples" in the bunch. I'm still waiting till fall since allot of good games will hit between now and then. I am curious about any heat issues.

Kenny J. - Buzz
Old 06-24-06, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One thing I'm curious about...I have heard so many times that the CORE system is junk and a waste of time. Why? I don't think I'll end up playing online that much. And if thats the case, what's the advantage of paying 100 extra bucks for the premium system?
Old 06-24-06, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
One thing I'm curious about...I have heard so many times that the CORE system is junk and a waste of time. Why? I don't think I'll end up playing online that much. And if thats the case, what's the advantage of paying 100 extra bucks for the premium system?
Even if you don't plan on playing online, you'll still need a memory unit (~$40) or hard drive ($100) if you want to save your game progress. And if you plan on playing on a HDTV, you'll need the component video cables (~$40). So I suppose if you are not going to save any game progress, and you're going to play on a standard definition TV, then the extra $100 isn't an advantage.
Old 06-24-06, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

True. I forgot about the HD cables.

But I mean...let's say someone is gonna just play it on regular TV and not HD. And they aren't playing online, either. Even after you pay $40 for the memory card, you still are saving an extra 60 bucks. Thats an entire extra 360 game, right there.

I understand this is the online gaming age, and HD age, but I'm sure there are people who play games offline (single player or with friends in a house) and who don't own an HD set. That can't be THAT uncommon. I guess, considering that, I'm very surprised at all this "the CORE system is not worth it" or "it's junk and a waste of time" talk.
Old 06-24-06, 10:03 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The hard drive is not just for saving games. Games are cached on it, so that loading times are quicker. I have never played a game on a Core 360, so I don't know how much slower load times are on it, but quicker load times is always a good thing. I do know from experience that during the last generation there were quite a few multi-platiform games that had abysmally slow load times on the PS2 while the Xbox version had load times much quicker. This was because the Xbox had a hard drive and the PS2 did not. I played both versions of Mercenaries, and I could take a shit faster than the PS2 version loaded. The Xbox Mercenaries had noticeably faster load times.

Also, if you want backwards compatibility with original Xbox games, the hard drive is required. BC will not work on the Core 360 at all.

The Premium comes with a wireless controller while the Core does not. This is a minor thing, but if you have kids or pets that are always tripping on the cords, then it could be a plus.
Old 06-24-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^^Interesting points. Never thought about the load times or BC. Thanks for the info, so I'll probably be buying a 360 for the upcoming football games!
Old 06-25-06, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Don't forget the Premium also comes with a wireless controller that will run you $50 buying it seperate.
Old 06-25-06, 10:06 AM
Banned

Mine is a launch unit, works fine still. I play 2-3 hour sessions of Battlefield Demo and honestly, ive only had weird problems once. Whenever id go into cover, the sound would make a loud screeching noise. And sometimes when i spawn, right away the gun is shaking all over the place. Once the match ended, i restarted the demo and it was fine again. So yah, there are plenty of launch systems alive and kickin i guess, mine is a good example of one.
Old 06-25-06, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought one on April 8th, and by April 13th, I already got the Three Red Lights of Doom. Took it back to Best Buy that weekend, and got another one with the 2 year warrenty, and no problems with the new one.
Old 06-25-06, 04:04 PM
Bry
Cool New Member

Mine at launch, no problems at all, same with a buddy of mine.
Old 06-27-06, 02:33 PM
Suspended

My system has also become useless. After less than 10 minutes of gameplay, I receive white lines on my screen and it completely freezes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.