Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Help fight the backlog!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Help fight the backlog!

I don't know about you guys, but I've got over 60 games that I still have yet to play. So I'm looking for your help in deciding which game to play next. While my Xbox Live DVDtalk brethren are off playing COD online (since I don't have a 360 yet) I've decided to go back to finishing off some games before the next generation systems completely arrive.

Here is a short list of games I'm thinking of playing next:
- Burnout Revenge
- Beyond Good & Evil
- Black
- Eternal Darkness
- God of War
- Grand Theft Auto Vice City
- Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
- Kingdom Hearts
- Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
- Mega Man Anniversary (I'm on Mega Man 4 now)
- Paper Mario Thousand Year Door
- X-Men Legends

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 05-22-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beyond Good & Evil!
Old 05-22-06, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd for BG&E, plus it's pretty quick (7-8 hours maybe).
Old 05-22-06, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

X-Men Legends!
Old 05-22-06, 03:44 PM
Retired

Eternal Darkness gets my vote, enoyed it the most out of those that I played.

Beyond Good and Evil I'd probably put 2nd, though I didn't like it nearly as much as many.

Then Wind Waker and Paper Mario.

The rest of the games either aren't my cup of tea, or I haven't played them.
Old 05-22-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
I think God of War is the best game listed, but all of them are all excellent games. I'd start with it, then move to either BG&E, ED, or LoZ:WW.
Old 05-22-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn, them's a lot of good games.

I asked the same question a few weeks ago and ended starting ED over BG&E. Got about half-way through the first go-through, I'd guess, but haven't been back to it for about 2 weeks. I'm probably going to get back in soon. I've really enjoyed it myself. BG&E is next.

X-Men Legends sat on my shelf for a long time before I got to it, and never could find much enjoyment in it.

Paper Mario, Wind Waker, Kingdom Hearts, and God of War are all great 3rd or 4th places on your list. GoW is relatively short as well, 12-15 hours.
Old 05-22-06, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVDChris
- Beyond Good & Evil
- Eternal Darkness
- God of War
- Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
- X-Men Legends
- Paper Mario Thousand Year Door
- Black
You can intermingle Burnout Revenge in here at any time to break things up... even for only a race or two at a time

I left off the GTA series, because personally I didn't care for them. And I left off KH because I haven't played it...but I hear it's fantastic.
Old 05-22-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd go for God of War and Resident Evil 4 (not on your list but it's spectacular).

Come back to the GTA games because they'll suck up ALL of your time.
Old 05-22-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

- Beyond Good & Evil
Brillant adventure - fun from the beginning to the end. Great cinematic style and easy accessible gameplay make Beyond Good & Evil to the most underrated game of this console generation.
Old 05-22-06, 04:15 PM
Banned

God Of War followed by Kingdom Hearts. Those are the top 2 titles in your list, hands down. After youre done with those, you can either get Kingdom Hearts 2 which is just absolutely mind blowing, or go to something like BG&E, although ive never played that one myself, its collecting dust on my shelf. I need to try it one of these days.
Old 05-22-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I seriously hate these "help me decide what to play next" threads when the person in question has such fantastic games in front of them. Makes me jelous .

I would say to play Black first. From what I've heard it is an UBER short game, and just ok. So you could knock that off pretty quickly.

Most of the other games you have listed (except for Burnout, Mega Man, and maybe X-Men) should be played straight through if at all possible. After black, I would say to play bits of Burnout, Mega Man, and or X-Men legends between sessions of any of those other games. X-Men legends is really fun, but just running through it really fast can get tedious. It's best served in smaller doses over a long period of time.

Last edited by boredsilly; 05-22-06 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-22-06, 04:58 PM

My opinion is you have a bunch of great games and at least two or three that should be played immediately. The way I usually choose is to figure out what I'm in the mood for.

If you want all out action with a great story and a few puzzles sprinkled here and there, go with God of War.

If you want an adventure type game with a great story BG&E should do the job. Zelda is great as always.

Kingdom Hearts and Paper Mario are both good rpg's and each are different from the norm.

I've yet to play Eternal Darkness, tried to play it and couldn't get into it. I'll get around to it I guess.

Don't really like GTA. All the freedom makes me feel like I've wasted my time without actually progressing the game any.

All other games can probably wait. Liver's right about Burnout, though. Just play that in between games.
Old 05-22-06, 05:07 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts
ED was one of the greatest games i have ever played ever. then came RE 4, but ED still rocks the mutha!!
Old 05-22-06, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I may have to finally play Beyond Good and Evil as everyone seems to say positive things about it.

After that it's either down to God of War or Eternal Darkness. Anyone know how long these take to play?
Old 05-22-06, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Franchise
I'd go for God of War and Resident Evil 4 (not on your list but it's spectacular).

Come back to the GTA games because they'll suck up ALL of your time.
Thanks man. I actually tried Resident Evil 4, but I couldn't get used to the controls. It's like I was controlling a tank.
Old 05-22-06, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I may have to finally play Beyond Good and Evil as everyone seems to say positive things about it.

After that it's either down to God of War or Eternal Darkness. Anyone know how long these take to play?
Good choice with BG&E, plus since it is so short you will be on to the next game pretty soon.

God of War takes around 10-12 hours if I remember correctly, ED took around 15 hours I think. It has been a while since I played them though.
Old 05-22-06, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Man thats a tough backlog. You ought to give up sleeping and play these games so you don't get one like this because a lot of those are MUST PLAY games.

I'd go with beyond good and evil, its not very long, you'll love it. Then maybe Zelda or Paper Mario
Old 05-22-06, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I enjoyed Eternal Darkness so much I beat it 3 times in order to get the "good" ending. It was a lot of fun. Makes me want to go back and play it again.

I also loved Beyond Good and Evil so you can put a vote for me in there.
Old 05-23-06, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
You can intermingle Burnout Revenge in here at any time to break things up... even for only a race or two at a time

I left off the GTA series, because personally I didn't care for them. And I left off KH because I haven't played it...but I hear it's fantastic.
I agree.

I don't have Revenge, but I just got Burnout 3:TD, and while it was addictive at first, I find it's a great 5-10 minute game to play now that I've gone through most of it trying to pick up Golds, as I usually play MVP Baseball or something that takes a while to play.
Old 05-23-06, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
There are some really good games in there, but I have to agree Beyond Good and Evil is the place to start.
Old 05-23-06, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd play God of War then Beyond Good & Evil

I'll agree that Burnout Revenge is a great game to play in between game sessions at any time to break the monotony of a long winded game. So I'd play that along side Kingdom Hearts and then Wind Waker.

After that I'll go with Eternal Darkness.

Finally either GTA games will be good to start for awhile, and then move it to the Burnout role while you play something else.
Old 05-26-06, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All, I just beat Beyond Good & Evil. It had a really great storyline, thanks for all your suggestions. It took me about 11 hours to beat it.

Now I'm on to God of War or Eternal Darkness, haven't decided. Maybe Eternal Darkness since it is older.
Old 05-26-06, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All, I just beat Beyond Good & Evil. It had a really great storyline, thanks for all your suggestions. It took me about 11 hours to beat it.

Now I'm on to God of War or Eternal Darkness, haven't decided. Maybe Eternal Darkness since it is older.
Eternal Darkness baby, you'll love it. I thought it was brilliant...
Old 05-26-06, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't like Eternal Darkness a bit. But God of War was quite good.