Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

New Super Mario Bros. Out Today. Who's excited?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

New Super Mario Bros. Out Today. Who's excited?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-06, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just went into WalMart here in Seneca, and even though they said they didn't have it in earlier today when I called and asked, it was there just now. They said they just got a late shipment in about 30 minutes before I got there, so lucky me. Not only did it save me the gas money by buying it in Seneca instead of all the way in Anderson, but they also price matched the CC price no questions asked. They just called the CC in Anderson, and that was that.

I'm just now diving into the game, so this should be great.
Old 05-16-06, 08:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm on 2-3 now, and does anyone else find Mario is harder to control in this game than in the previous ones? It seems that way to me. I also miss flying abilities, but the wall jump is awesome. So, in my estimation, it's not as good as Super Mario World or Super Mario 2, but it's better than 3 or 1.
Old 05-16-06, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The one move I wish he had is the run-reverse-jump-backflip. I find myself doing that a lot to just have him skid to a halt.
Old 05-16-06, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I may be wrong since I only checked it out for a second, but are just about all of the single player mini-games the same ones from Mario 64DS?
Old 05-16-06, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
I may be wrong since I only checked it out for a second, but are just about all of the single player mini-games the same ones from Mario 64DS?
Most of them. There are a few new ones though.
Old 05-16-06, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
and does anyone else find Mario is harder to control in this game than in the previous ones? It seems that way to me.
To me too.

While he doesn't control poorly, he's kinda flighty and slippery, and not as solid controling as the NES/SNES Marios.
Old 05-16-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My copies on order... sigh...
Old 05-16-06, 11:28 PM
Retired

Played up through the world 2 mid tower. Loving it so far. The control is a little floaty compared to Super Mario 3 or Super Mario World, controls more like the original SMB. But I've gotten used to it.

The graphics are great and it's a nice challenge. I've died probably 10 times more in this already than I did in playing through princess peach 2x to unlock everything. I like that they give you a ton of 1ups though, as that keeps it from being frustrating.

Seems like there's tons to do. Some of the coins are hidden fairly well, as are the hidden exits. I couldn't figure out how to get the cannon in level 1.

The mini game are fun as well, most are repeates from Mario 64 DS, some I haven't seen before, not sure if they're new or just ones I didn't unlock in 64 since I gave up after 30 some stars since the control blew chunks.

At any rate, very impressed with the game, and glad I picked it up rather than waiting to check at another CC tomorrow as I needed a good gaming evening after finals the past 2 days and before grading 150 papers and 150 exams the next 3 days.
Old 05-17-06, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Seems like there's tons to do. Some of the coins are hidden fairly well, as are the hidden exits. I couldn't figure out how to get the cannon in level 1.
So....how do you get to the cannon?
Old 05-17-06, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I'm on the sixth world already after picking it up today, and playing on and off and the game is fun. I have noticed the controls aren't as precise. I think I press the jump button, and Mario just slides right into the abyss. Guess I just have to get used to it, but so far the game is easy though I'm sure I won't be able to unlock everything without the aid of gamefaqs. However I'll get as much as I can before I resort to that.
Old 05-17-06, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Got addicted and since I'm off tomorrow ended up beating the game. However I didn't even access worlds 4 and 7, and I didn't come near to collecting all coins or finding all passages.
Old 05-17-06, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm actually glad I picked this up. I'm sick of games like Animal Crossing that you play every day and really get nothing out of in the long run. I would much rather play something like this and sell Animal Crossing, Brain Training and that awful Nintendogs.
Old 05-17-06, 06:18 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got the game it's really fun and brings me back to my youth. I hated one of the boards on world 2 where you kept bouncing everywhere, I must have lost like 20 guys on that level. This game is a must have!
Old 05-17-06, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
So....how do you get to the cannon?

Spoiler:
You have to go into the midway castle after getting the koopa shell. There's a point where you shoot out of a pipe up the left side of the screen and can drop back down to go in a door. That door leads to a hidden room with one of the big coins. Once you get it, instead of going through the exit door, jump through the Mario-sized gap in the moving stones on the right side of the screen. That takes you to a room where you have to use the shell slide to get through and that, in turn, leads you to the alternate flag.
Old 05-17-06, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
While he doesn't control poorly, he's kinda flighty and slippery..
Gah! This is why I couldn't stand Mario 64 and seem to be the sole person in the world who liked Mario Sunshine better due to this.
Old 05-17-06, 08:34 AM
fab

So I've played through to the end of the game (having missed a lot of stuff on the way that I'll probably go back and play) and found it odd that I initially missed worlds 4 and 7.

I find it interesting that many casual gamers may miss out on 1/4th of the game because of their special requirements to get to. The requirement is obvious, however the difficulty in getting to world 4 seemed particularly high to me.

I also managed to unlock the ability to save anywhere (I think by beating the last castle or opening up worlds 4 and 7 after beating it) which is great since not having the ability to save anywhere was a big pain in the ass, especially for a portable game.

Also, Fireball Mario seems way too strong. Almost any creature, including bosses can be beat very easily with fireballs; and the ability to store the Fire Flower really makes the game very easy.

Overall though, it's the most fun I've had playing the DS.

--
fab
Old 05-17-06, 08:35 AM

Got this game yesterday and I love it. Just warped to 5-1. Nintendo should really think about making another 2d Mario for a home console. A 2d Mario on the Wii will certainly sell systems.
Old 05-17-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How are the save points in the game? Does it save your progress after, say you complete level 1-2, or do you have to complete the entire level 1 before it saves your progress?
Old 05-17-06, 08:52 AM
fab

Re: Save Points:

You can save after you beat towers (mid-level boss) and castles (end-level boss) but only after the first time you beat them. Additionally there are road blocks that you can pay to open that will give you the opportunity to save once (for the price of 5 coins).

Also, as I mentioned above, the ability to save anywhere is somehow unlockable.

--
fab
Old 05-17-06, 08:54 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Gah! This is why I couldn't stand Mario 64 and seem to be the sole person in the world who liked Mario Sunshine better due to this.
The controls are much like the original SMB on the NES. Much more so than Mario 64.
Old 05-17-06, 09:18 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What I like is the sleep mode, if you want to stop playing and are not at a save point just close the DS. I love when you open it, Mario greets you with It's A Mario!
Old 05-17-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The saving feature is a major flaw for a portable game, however, the DS has a good sleep mode. Other than that though this game is pretty solid.
Old 05-17-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
The controls are much like the original SMB on the NES. Much more so than Mario 64.
Hmm.. that sounds a bit better but still kind of odd since they had tightened up the controls to perfection in SMB3 and SMW.
Old 05-17-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wasn't going to pick up this game right away, but after reading reviews and this board, I had to go find it yesterday. Got it at Fry's for like $27. I think I got the last one.

Great game. Controls took me a little to get used to, but I've got the hang of it now. I made it to, I think, 2-4 or so. I didn't play Mario64 DS, so all the mini-games are new to me. Glad I picked it up, it's a lot of fun.
Old 05-17-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Picked it up last night, and played through the first two levels (not worlds) before the battery on the DS died. Oh well, I have to play them again So far, I love it. Those first two levels are straight outta SMB and that sealed the deal for me. I love how even the secret coin blocks are in the same location, the same repeaters, etc. And not having played Mario64Ds, I played through some of the mini games too, and they were surprisingly fun.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.