Search this Thread

Old 05-12-06, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Price Drop for X-Box 360?

Will it ever come?
Old 05-12-06, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Of course - all consoles drop in price eventually. It will probably cost $100 when the next xbox comes out. Although nothing has been announced, there could be a price drop in November when the PS3 comes out. I doubt it would be more than $50 though.
Old 05-12-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd expect a $50 price drop before the end of the year.
Old 05-12-06, 08:22 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm new to this...do they really drop console prices that quickly? I could understand a temporary discount of $50 when the PS3 comes out, but I wouldn't really expect them to discount it until it was at least 2 years old.
Old 05-12-06, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I almost think a "value" pack with a high-profile, 1st party game to be more likely than a straight price drop. Maybe a Live Gold trial as well?

They'll undoubtedly do something to undercut the PS3 a week or so before release. And if the Wii hits in October as many believe, maybe even that early. I wouldn't be surprised to see Microsoft develop a campaign around the price difference.
Old 05-12-06, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Blade
I'm new to this...do they really drop console prices that quickly? I could understand a temporary discount of $50 when the PS3 comes out, but I wouldn't really expect them to discount it until it was at least 2 years old.
A price drop this soon after launch is pretty unusual, but with MS making such a big deal about the price of its system vs. the PS3, I wouldn't be surprised to see a $50 drop. Then the Core system would cost half as much as the cheaper PS3 and the Premium 360 would cost a bit more than half as much as the premium PS3. That being said, who knows what will happen. If you want a 360 now, get it now! IMO, waiting six months to save $50 is a bit silly when you're talking $350 vs. $400
Old 05-12-06, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about a Call of Duty 2 bundle with a camo face plate? That would be a nice setup.
Old 05-12-06, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
I'd expect a $50 price drop before the end of the year.

you can say that again.
Old 05-13-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Same freaking topic here and on CAG... same person... be freaking patient or get a job... it hasnt been out that long and with it selling well it will not have a price drop in the immediate future

MOD NOTE: Actually, topics like this are welcome here. Speculation is something we do all the time. On the other hand, posts like this are NOT welcome here. So please take your own advice and show some patience. Thank you. -namja

Last edited by namja; 05-14-06 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-13-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
There's a chance it won't even get a price drop this year. The other consoles are going to sell out, so people who have to get a new console for Christmas will pay the price anyway. Sony did the same thing when the Xbox and GameCube came out. It wasn't until the supply of the competitor's systems got up to where people could make a choice that they decided to drop the price.
Old 05-13-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not likely. I was reading an interview that someone posted on another board where Peter Moore says something to the fact of "We had a price drop the second Sony announced the PS3 price." In otherwords, had Sony launched at $400 you would have seen a price drop, but not anymore.
Old 05-13-06, 06:15 PM
Bry
Cool New Member

Why do they need to drop the price from $400? First, they're still selling as fast as they're produced.. Second, the competition isn't even out yet. Third, the competition costs $200 more, and will probably be similarly sold out anyways. I don't think they'll need to drop the price until summer of 2007 at the earliest.
Old 05-13-06, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't see it dropping in price. Its already $200 cheaper than the high end Sony and after seeing how great the 360 games look Sony will have trouble winning over people purely on graphics. If anything a console that seemed expensive last Christmas now seems like a bargain.
Old 05-13-06, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
I don't see it dropping in price. Its already $200 cheaper than the high end Sony and after seeing how great the 360 games look Sony will have trouble winning over people purely on graphics. If anything a console that seemed expensive last Christmas now seems like a bargain.
The only scenario in which I can see a price drop on the 360 is if Sony re-structures it's offerings and comes out with a "core" model that is $399.
Old 05-13-06, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
I almost think a "value" pack with a high-profile, 1st party game to be more likely than a straight price drop. Maybe a Live Gold trial as well?

They'll undoubtedly do something to undercut the PS3 a week or so before release. And if the Wii hits in October as many believe, maybe even that early. I wouldn't be surprised to see Microsoft develop a campaign around the price difference.
um you get a live gold trial when you make an xbox live account off the 260 dash board, it goes back to silver after 15 or 30 days or something.
Old 05-14-06, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was expecting a price drop around christmas, but like others I think a "Holiday" bundle is much more likely now. Maybe Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero(or just one), a face plate, and a slightly longer Gold trail for $400?
Old 05-14-06, 06:47 PM
Cool New Member

I'm expecting some sort of holiday marketing scheme. They'd be crazy not to offer anything or reduce the price a bit when you're talking the Wii AND PS3 are both coming out.

I think Sony's in big trouble.
Old 05-14-06, 07:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd sooner expect a $400 bundle than a price drop. If there is a price drop, it won't last past the new year.
Old 05-14-06, 08:47 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
I think the smartest thing that Microsoft could do is to get rid of the core system, and replace it with the premium bundle at the same price point, $299.
Old 05-14-06, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PerryD
I think the smartest thing that Microsoft could do is to get rid of the core system, and replace it with the premium bundle at the same price point, $299.
I can see them dumping the core system, but no way they'll drop the premium $100.00 only a year after launch.

I believe we will see some sort of a holiday bundle too, same price point but some added value (game/faceplate combo sounds good).
Old 05-14-06, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
um you get a live gold trial when you make an xbox live account off the 260 dash board, it goes back to silver after 15 or 30 days or something.
um I didn't know that. Guess that's really well marketed.
Old 05-14-06, 09:48 PM

When the other guy puts himself in position for a beating, you don't let up.

Microsoft should have their three factories producing at 100% capacity, then price them all to move, based on their best market research. If that means dropping the price, which it probably does, do so.

The 360 was designed for relatively easy cost reductions, so take advantage of it. There's no reason this shouldn't be the fall of '91 revisited, with the challenger flying off the shelves more briskly than the reigning champ for whom everybody had previously been waiting.

Besides, a price drop in a year is hardly unprecedented. The last time the market was really up for grabs was Playstation vs the upcoming N64. Sony had already put their boots on the throat of Sega by the end of 1995, then dropped the price by $100 (a full 33%) at E3'96 when it was a mere eight months old.

Any short-term pains, in terms of losses on the additional hardware sold, can be recouped by benefits for many years down the road.
Old 05-14-06, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts
A $50 price drop when the PS3 is released would be deadly for Sony, but it will hurt MS as well - so I don't think we'll see it happen.

Because the PS3 will be very hard to get when it's released and the fact that it's expensive, the 360 is very attractive as it is - especially with the amount of games customers will have to choose from. MS can keep the price the same and it'll do very well.

However, a price drop of $20 for games released in the first 6 months would be (IMO) a nice added hit to Sony. With the console costing a lot less, and a batch of games that are cheap - parents would have a hard time passing up buying the 360 as a xmas gift.
Old 05-14-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Coral

However, a price drop of $20 for games released in the first 6 months would be (IMO) a nice added hit to Sony. With the console costing a lot less, and a batch of games that are cheap - parents would have a hard time passing up buying the 360 as a xmas gift.
I like the idea of dropping the game prices; I never have gotten used to the idea of paying $60 per game. Having a batch of cheaper, decent games would definitely push me towards finally buying the console, and with all the other factors, it would definitely push me to buy it over PS3.
Old 05-15-06, 01:59 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mr.snowmizer
When the other guy puts himself in position for a beating, you don't let up.

Microsoft should have their three factories producing at 100% capacity, then price them all to move, based on their best market research. If that means dropping the price, which it probably does, do so.

The 360 was designed for relatively easy cost reductions, so take advantage of it. There's no reason this shouldn't be the fall of '91 revisited, with the challenger flying off the shelves more briskly than the reigning champ for whom everybody had previously been waiting.

Besides, a price drop in a year is hardly unprecedented. The last time the market was really up for grabs was Playstation vs the upcoming N64. Sony had already put their boots on the throat of Sega by the end of 1995, then dropped the price by $100 (a full 33%) at E3'96 when it was a mere eight months old.

Any short-term pains, in terms of losses on the additional hardware sold, can be recouped by benefits for many years down the road.

But let's not forget that Microsoft really isn't very consumer-savvy, they'd rather get their money upfront than recoup their losses through Live memberships and accessory sales and the like.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.